The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 22, 2008, 04:42 PM   #1
Clayfish

Opinions on duracoat

I'm looking at getting my Sig P6 refinished. I've really looked in to cerakote from customizedcreationz.com but was talking to my local smith and he does duracoat. He can do it for the same money but can turn it around in a week instead of the 3 weeks the other takes. Does anyone have any opinions on duracoat?
Old November 22, 2008, 07:42 PM   #2
jhansman

I had the slide of an XD45 duracoated and it came out great. The guy who did it took his sweet time getting it back to me, but the job was superb. I no longer own that gun (my only regretted sale, BTW), but while I had it the finish held up really well and looked great.
Old November 23, 2008, 06:51 PM   #3
Scorch

DuraCoat works OK. On stocks and floorplates it is pretty good, but it does chip. For a slide or frame, I recommend GunKote. It is bulletproof.
Old November 23, 2008, 07:28 PM   #4
bigb00mer

if the duracoat is mixed 12:1 hardener, and is applied to a spotlessly clean surface and then the clear epoxy is applied and given proper cure time its good . if its rushed into service it will and does chip
Old November 23, 2008, 07:46 PM   #5
oldcspsarge

Duracoat is not durable, does chip, does not enhance lubricity and DOES NOT stop rust & corrosion. Some really cool colors but NOT designed for harmonics experienced by firearms.

When you go to professionals like KG Gun finishing, Black T, Bearcoat or NP-3 you get a superior finish. Done properly, you won't have to ever do it again.

Bearcoat is fast, durable and offers a lifetime warranty .......you get what you pay for !