The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 2, 2019, 01:04 PM   #1
riffraff

Always amazed at how hard it is to buy used guns

It's funny, I average about 80% failure on armslist just attempting to take the basic steps to buy used guns, ie nevermind even negotiating rather just attempting to touch base with, get basic info, and setup a time to meet with sellers. I wonder if there is some protocol I am not aware of..

Today attempting to buy a .22 rifle that is probably listed for about top dollar but is a model not quite available so worth it to me, the guy keeps emailing even though I sent my number multiple times, doesn't respond to me asking what he paid for the rifle and about when he bought it, 6 word answers etc etc .. I give up!

I do this every 6 months then swear off armslist and buy what I want new, but it's funny even when I get lucky and do strike a deal seems like the other guy cancels our meeting at least a time or two and/or leaves me hanging at some point. Can never figure out why people make something simple so difficult haha
Old March 2, 2019, 01:37 PM   #2
stephen426

There may be a lot of scammers out there. If people are motivated to sell, they will contact you and complete the deal. Don't chase them if they aren't serious.
Old March 2, 2019, 02:12 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Remember that you are as unknown to him as he is to you. If he calls you ... you will have his number. Not everyone is prepared to give their number to a stranger.

As to asking what he paid for it -- quite frankly, that's none of your business. Why even ask? All that matters is the price you and the seller can agree upon for you to pay him.
Old March 2, 2019, 03:00 PM   #4
TXAZ

There has been several $15k Barrett’s offered for sale for 1/3 that price on various gun sales sites. All scams, and claims to be an FFL with bogus papers.
Old March 2, 2019, 03:07 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

Some people don't want to talk.

Some people can't talk. -- I dealt with a guy that was deaf, a few years ago. He was unable to talk on the phone. As such, he didn't own one. All communication had to be done in written form. (email)

Some people just don't like giving out their phone number. -- I sold a non-running car to a guy 200 miles away FIVE years ago, and he still regularly text-bombs me to update me on tool purchases, car modifications, his latest plans, and what he ate for breakfast. (And he doesn't even own the car any more!)

Quote:
doesn't respond to me asking what he paid for the rifle and about when he bought it, 6 word answers etc etc .. I give up!
You're stepping on his toes with that one.
What matters is what you are willing to pay for it - not what he paid for it.

Last edited by FrankenMauser; March 2, 2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old March 2, 2019, 03:15 PM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

I agree. When he bought it might be a reasonable question, but what he paid is his business and none of yours unless he decides, out of the goodness of his heart, to tell you.

As far as the rest, I can see someone being kind of careful about meeting and about giving out personal information.
Old March 2, 2019, 03:23 PM   #7
ligonierbill

Man, if it were really hard to buy used guns, I'd be a lot richer.
Old March 2, 2019, 03:29 PM   #8
PhotonGuy

Interestingly enough only one of my guns I got "used" and I've got over twenty guns. The one time I did get a used gun I wasn't trying to get a used gun, but the only gun available of the make and model that I wanted had been used as a demonstration gun. As such the gun was classified as used but since it was only used as a demonstration gun it had only been fired maybe a couple of times. But since it was classified as used I got it at a really great reduced price although it was in fact quite new.
Old March 2, 2019, 04:18 PM   #9
riffraff

Ok well that's interesting. That's usually my 1st question when someone is trying to sell me something used - (who isn't in the business of selling such) what do you got into it? .. of course I'm not neccessary gonna believe them either but it's a question I get asked and dont mind answering.

I guess I understand not posting your number but I think if you lack the ability to type more than a few words in an email you kinda gotta get things done via phone call - and geez it's a whole lot faster too.

But ah whatever the case I'll try not asking that next time and see if it helps. I personally suspect a lot of the people selling used guns are just kinda wierd ..
Old March 2, 2019, 04:23 PM   #10
riffraff

Actually it's funny the last guy I bought a gun from, who was definitely of good stature based on where he works (the parking lot of which is where I met him, will leave it at that) used a full first and last name alias up until he showed me his ID. Then he admitted it was a "code name" haha. That was definitely in the wierd ballpark too.
Old March 2, 2019, 04:44 PM   #11
2wheelwander

I've bought one off Armslist. Went well enough. Seller had original receipt, wanted a copy of my CCWP, showed me his DL. He was a bit shady and I had the guns SN ran by a local. All was good.
Old March 2, 2019, 04:57 PM   #12
Onward Allusion

Armslist has a lot of scammers. Personally, I never take phone calls or texts from anyone I don't know. I almost always communicate via email.

I stick with Gunbroker.
Old March 2, 2019, 08:40 PM   #13
OneFreeTexan

_Have bought many, many used guns off Gunbroker and have been very happy with every one of them............some even much happier that I thought.
Old March 2, 2019, 09:40 PM   #14
JERRYS.

yeah, Armslist has a lot of deadbeat sellers.
Old March 2, 2019, 11:16 PM   #15
5whiskey

Maybe I’m an anomaly, I’ve never had an issue buying or selling on gunbroker or armslist. I don’t do it much, but I’ve had ok experiences.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old March 2, 2019, 11:25 PM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Interestingly enough only one of my guns I got "used" and I've got over twenty guns.
Interestingly enough I can count the number of guns I got "new" on one hand, and I've got over 80 guns...
(actually, I've sold a bunch in recent years, so I think I'm down to 50-60 or so...)

NONE have been bought via computer sales (armslist, gunbroker, etc.)

Not one.

Not buying a firearm, a car, or a woman, sight unseen...but, that's just me..
Old March 3, 2019, 08:01 AM   #17
USNRet93

Arm's List is like Craig's List..both are most times a PITA...I answered one of those 'call for the $' ones about a Glock 26..a Gun store..and the guy didn't even know what I was talking about...put on hold, then disconnected..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old March 3, 2019, 08:35 AM   #18
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5whiskey
Maybe I’m an anomaly, I’ve never had an issue buying or selling on gunbroker or armslist. I don’t do it much, but I’ve had ok experiences.
I have never written that because I didn't want to jinx myself, but it's true for me too. I've read that I shouldn't buy used at shows because that's where junk gets unloaded, but I've found some neat stuff over the years. I've found a putative buyer or two I thought would benefit from a punch to the throat, but my experience with gun culture is that it is pretty honest and generally polite.

I'm sure people get burned; it just hasn't happened to me.
Old March 3, 2019, 08:46 AM   #19
Nathan

My expectations of buyer

Maybe this will help. I expect:

Buyers should approach sellers about guns they have money to buy....it amazes me the number of people who interact with me through Armslist, but don’t have transportation to a place of exchange. Not a deal breaker, but I’m not driving 100mi to show you a gun that I’m losing money on!....or meet you and offer you 25% less, but you have to hold it for them until they get money....uh no.

Buyers should ask about the gun....My number one red flag is an email saying will you take $xxx? What are you buying? How do you know the value of this gun when condition and setup can be up to 50% of value?

Buyers should expect gun to be sold ala carte.....I had a $700 gun, 200 rounds of ammo and a $180 worth of holsters one time.....and I meet the guy and he is like $700 for all? I’m like no, $700 for the gun. He bought the gun, but left the proven reliable sd ammo and like new 6mo wait brand holsters on the table. Heck I sold both of those later for more than I had into them!

Buyers should negociate on price....not what I paid for it, not last weeks gunbroker, not what uncle Joe bought on for in ‘84. It is relatively easy to look at armslist, local sales, dealer shelves, gunbroker and new sales price online and see what a gun is worth. If I paid 1/2 or double “the going rate” that is profit or loss...not something to bicker over. Price gets negotiated ftf after you see/examine what you are buying and I assess my risk selling to you.

Buyers should have a reasonable timeline....if your first email is can you meet in the next 2 hours, red flags going up.

Buyers be relatively local....when I mark my ad as center of state and you want to come from northern edge, you gotta be the one prepared to travel most of the distance.

Buyers should expect to show state issued id....that is a minimal residency check.

Buyers should expect to give up their name and phone number....to facilitate meeting and to provide a forwarding contact to the atf.

Buyers should show or communicate a no show....obvious, right...I guess not. A guy told me once he couldn’t meet after a 30 min drive cause of his son’s birthday...really, you didn’t know your son’s date of birth to plan around?
Old March 3, 2019, 08:53 AM   #20
Nathan

You: what do you got into it?

Me: MSRP + Tax + shipping

Did that help?
Old March 3, 2019, 09:09 AM   #21
reinert

I used armslist once for a particular scope I was on a hunt for, and found a nice one; all went well with the seller. That's all I can comment on regarding armslist. For the past ten or so years, I've purchased better than a half dozen firearms through gunbroker and have been completely satisfied with every transaction (both new and used guns). I only had to call a seller once (gunbroker), who sold guns (FFL guy) and gear through his home based business. That call just involved a technical question that was resolved immediately; all good.

Though I don't have any purchase plans on the horizon for a "new" firearm these days, I'd have no qualms whatsoever using GB again. All legal, and all through my local FFL guy for the transfer to me.
Old March 3, 2019, 11:06 AM   #22
lamarw

riffraff, You should attend nearby gun auctions. You will have a chance to review the auction items. You know up front all the cost involved.

There is no negotiations involved. Just know what the auction item is worth to you and bid accordingly. If you are reasonable, you have my assurance you will win some used firearms. You sometimes get a deal, but more often than not you will end up with a fair deal.

Your intent should be to get an item at a fair price and not to worry about what the seller is getting out of it. Often times these auction sales are to dispose of estate items.
Old March 3, 2019, 11:29 AM   #23
O4L

I have never had a problem buying used guns. I have bought many over the years, even a few on Armslist.

There are buyers that are scammers and dishonest just as there are sellers that are scammers and dishonest.

Maybe this guy was just trying to sort out the riffraff.
Old March 3, 2019, 01:45 PM   #24
osbornk

Having grown up in the used car business and spending 31+ years as a claims adjuster dealing with a lot of dishonest claims, I have trust issues. I won't buy cars, trucks, motorcyles, guns or many other things used without a physical inspection first. I look at Armslist and Gunbroker for reference only. I have bought a couple of used cars from E-Bay but they were close enough for me to inspect them before I bid. Over the many of years working claims, I found some very creative photography that hid defects and issues (or in the case of some claims, inventing defects).
Old March 3, 2019, 04:27 PM   #25
dahermit

Quote:
doesn't respond to me asking what he paid for the rifle and about when he bought it, 6 word answers etc etc .. I give up!
It could be that he doesn't think it is any of your business. Beside that, there are many guns I have sold where I did not remember what I paid for them or when I bought them. What I paid for a gun is not relevant to my asking price and would not respond to anyone asking.