The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 27, 2019, 10:55 AM   #1
FoghornLeghorn

New York Governor signs "Red Flag" bill into law.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethba...o-law-n2542264

Under this law, according to the article, family members, school administrators and law enforcement officials can have a person's firearms confiscated from people believed to be a threat to themselves or others.

From the article: "If initially approved by a judge, the individual would be banned from buying, possessing or attempting to buy firearms for up to six days. During that time, a hearing would have to be held on extending the length of the order up to one year. It permits police to confiscate any weapons possessed by the individual,"

Like the other threads concerning this, the police can confiscate someone's firearms before they've had their day in court which, of course, violates due process.

It's interesting that Nancy Pelosi made an appearance at the signing, because we all know how protective she is of our Constitutional rights. /s

I also have to wonder if Governor Cuomo is going to make a presidential run in 2020, along with the other 95 democrat candidates?

Hang onto your hats boys. We could be in for interesting times.

Old February 27, 2019, 12:59 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Yet another example of tyranny by the masses. The hue and cry is far and wide, for the Gov to DO SOMETHING.

Doesn't matter what it actually does, all that matters is what they CLAIM it will do, and then the Gov is seen as "caring, and responsive to the will of the people", etc.

Let's see where the law of unintended consequences takes us with this one. Confiscation of property, nullification of civil rights, without due process, without an ARREST, just an allegation, and a judge's signature...

Quote:
family members, school administrators and law enforcement officials can have a person's firearms confiscated from people believed to be a threat to themselves or others.
I can see where a guidance councilor, or principal dealing with a rebellious teen, decides they might be at risk, and then, because the kid lives at home, the cops confiscate $30-40,000 worth of rich daddy duck hunter's Purdeys, LC Smiths, Parkers, etc., and throw them in a pile in the evidence room...

And, while the outraged Dad might get the order ended after the "6 days", it could take months, and thousands of more dollars in legal fees to get the (now damaged) guns returned. IF they will be returned.

OR worse, a swat style raid, resulting in the death of an innocent person(s), because they didn't comply FAST enough to suit amp'd up cops dealing with a "dangerous" situation...people have been shot dead because they didn't drop the tv remote fast enough....

There's more downside than up to this, as far as I can see.
Old February 28, 2019, 11:49 AM   #3
JN01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post

Let's see where the law of unintended consequences takes us with this one. Confiscation of property, nullification of civil rights, without due process, without an ARREST, just an allegation, and a judge's signature...

I'm not so sure those consequences are unintended.
Old February 28, 2019, 11:52 AM   #4
FITASC

Would be funny if someone "Red Flagged" Cuomo's protective detail......
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 28, 2019, 02:21 PM   #5
SIGSHR

Salami-slicing tactics. Will they clean out someone's medicine cabinet ? Blacklist them from buying alcohol ? What next, protective custody ?
Old February 28, 2019, 02:30 PM   #6
FITASC

We have that protective custody ion Florida, called being Baker Acted
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa