The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 23, 2019, 09:13 PM   #1
chrisintexas

Best AR and AK for the money

Reliabile
Accurate
Money wise value
What ARs AKs would you suggest.
Thanks
Old February 23, 2019, 09:30 PM   #2
Mobuck

For how much money?
Do you want the the cheapest possible fully functional rifle or willing to spend more if the features seem worth the extra?
Old February 23, 2019, 09:37 PM   #3
chrisintexas

Willing to spend more till point of diminishing return
Old February 23, 2019, 10:10 PM   #4
eos

wasr 10, m&p sport 2
Old February 24, 2019, 03:42 AM   #5
riffraff

AK - no idea but a WASR 10 underfolder is on my short list ...

With an AR how you want it set up makes a difference.

If you just want a typical flat top AR15 w/ an iron sight on the gas block, and are going to be happy with that (ie are not going to decide you want an optic and want to remove the iron sight, or that you want to add rails and accessories, changing the handle around etc.. etc..).. Ruger AR556, S&W M&P 15, Stag 15 - those are a few probably all about the same (Ruger is not chrome lined barrel - less durable but probably more accurate than the other two chrome lined barrels) and are found around $600 +/-.. Personally for no real good reason I like the Stag out of that bunch.

If you want to go adding accessories to rails on the hand guard, do not want the iron sight there since you will be adding a red dot or some other optic, and/or want something that may be a bit more accurate etc.. etc.. You should probably check out Aero or PSA. I'm not familiar with PSA but have a bunch of Aero AR15's and they are really nice for the $$. Checkout their website for uppers and see what you think you may want, a zillion options to choose from...

What I've done is I order a complete lower minus stock from my local gun shop (I just show up w/ a part number and have them order it) - then I shop around online for a sale and I order a complete upper, bolt carrier group, and charging handle when the price is right and snap it together. PSA is a little cheaper but w/ Aero you are talking around $800 for a complete rifle that way if you use their "enhanced" M4E1 stuff (a little nicer than standard pattern AR15 stuff - a solid trigger guard is one feature for instance). Both also sell complete rifles but I'm not sure what the options are and I never see them sitting in a gun shop except as "custom" rifles people trade in occasionally.
Old February 24, 2019, 07:26 AM   #6
kymasabe

Check your messages...I sent perfect example of a gun built with quality parts (ballistic advantage and aero) that's selling for a steal.
If you dont go that route, then my suggestion would be look at the Sig M400 Tread.
Old February 24, 2019, 09:47 AM   #7
M1Rifle30-06

I've owned a lot of AKs and the only ones that haven't given me any problems are Arsenals. I had a WASR 10 that was very problematic, but the newer ones look better and are reportedly performing better too.

AR: Anything Colt 6920 and above (DD, Noveske, etc)
Old February 24, 2019, 05:55 PM   #8
TBM900

Cant beat a WASR for best 'bang for the buck'.
In fact they will rival supposed top-shelf AKs all day long.
We've got quite a number of them, they run flawless and are more accurate than >99% of shooters.

As for an AR.....
Just get a WASR

What is your price ceiling and intended use?
Old February 25, 2019, 08:44 AM   #9
44caliberkid

How about use the "Search This Forum" function and read the other half dozen or more threads on this same subject.
Old February 25, 2019, 09:42 AM   #10
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisintexas View Post
Willing to spend more till point of diminishing return
That point is still the WASR.
One could maybe make a case for the WBP being that point, but only if you can get a late model one at a really good price. The safe bet is still the WASR, and currently I do not see that changing any time soon.
Old February 25, 2019, 11:13 AM   #11
Fishbed77

WASR (Saigas when they were readily available)
Colt 6920

Last edited by Fishbed77; February 26, 2019 at 11:39 AM.
Old February 25, 2019, 03:20 PM   #12
Erno86

AK's:

I own an old Krebs Custom KTR 03S, Saiga in 7.62x39.

Krebs sells a different one now:

https://www.krebscustom.com/products...tom-core-rifle

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/796281483

--- George Orwell
Old February 25, 2019, 03:27 PM   #13
BWM

Windham has one on sale for around 600.00- I seen it to day on a gun site that gun sales for 1000.00+ dollars
Old February 25, 2019, 05:48 PM   #14
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erno86 View Post
AK's:

I own an old Krebs Custom KTR 03S, Saiga in 7.62x39.

Krebs sells a different one now:

https://www.krebscustom.com/products...tom-core-rifle

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/796281483
Way way WAY past the point of diminishing returns.
In fact, for that kind of money, I would rather have 2x WASRs.
Old February 25, 2019, 07:47 PM   #15
kenny53

There are two WASR's living in the basement. Bunches of bullets gone down range. The only problem I have encountered is a broken firing pin in one. It was being shot by someone else at the time so I am not sure how it happened.

For the AR I like the S&W M&P 15 Sport. Works great.
Old March 1, 2019, 12:13 AM   #16
JohnB1987

For the AR:

Everyone always seems to recommend these, but:

-Palmetto State Armory if want to go cheap
-Aero Precision arguably a small step above

These two manufacturers are good for 99% of people.

-Bravo Company (BCM) - This is my personal favorite for uppers and BCGs. It's personally where i feel I reach the point of diminishing returns for my needs. I also feel more confident in their quality control than the other two.

-Daniel Defense, Larue, LWRC, Lewis Machine Tool, Noveske, and others are all also great, but a bit more pricey generally. Personally, I think they're overpriced for what I need at least.

Then, since it sounds like you have the money, spend up on a nice trigger (I like Geissele), optic (Aimpoint or EOtech are the top options), stock, and whatever other cool stuff you want to throw on it.
Old March 1, 2019, 03:21 PM   #17
stinkeypete

If you want something done right, build it yourself.

I like the Rock River target trigger.

As for the rest: build exactly what you want, learn how every last part works, hand fit.. it’s not gunsmithing, it’s sticking together LEGO blocks. Easier than 10/22s in my opinion.
Old March 1, 2019, 07:19 PM   #18
Bartholomew Roberts

These days “Best AK for the money” is like “Best gold plated spork.” If you want best value for the money, AKs are no longer a contender.

Best bang for buck is a PSA kit ordered when nobody else is buying.* If you aren’t willing to roll those dice, Bravo Company consistently delivers quality at fair prices. Some PSA kits can match Bravo. Will you be that lucky guy? Who knows? I definitely wouldn’t go PSA during a panic buy though.

*For me; because I have the parts, knowledge, and tools to fix most of the problems I might encounter with PSA.
Old March 2, 2019, 08:15 AM   #19
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts View Post
These days “Best AK for the money” is like “Best gold plated spork.”
If you want best value for the money, AKs are no longer a contender.

Best bang for buck is a PSA kit ordered when nobody else is buying.* If you aren’t willing to roll those dice, Bravo Company consistently delivers quality at fair prices. Some PSA kits can match Bravo. Will you be that lucky guy? Who knows? I definitely wouldn’t go PSA during a panic buy though.

*For me; because I have the parts, knowledge, and tools to fix most of the problems I might encounter with PSA.
Utter nonsense
Old March 2, 2019, 07:31 PM   #20
dvdcrr

Things have certainly changed in the AK game since the Russian saigas, veprs, and associated SGL models were made unavailable. So I guess yeah, bang for the buck would be WASR unless you are a buy once cry once guy then get an Arsenal.
For AR's I see so many recommendations for Colt, hard to argue with that I guess.
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old March 2, 2019, 08:24 PM   #21
Ignition Override

Almost nobody tests true durability on YouTube. The guy who does so, and is Not given free guns by any manufacturers is AKOU's "Rob Ski". There is no evidence that he is a promoter.

Testing various brands through 3,500, 5,000 rds. is extremely rare among other people, if at all.
Almost everybody can take a new gun, fire one hundred rounds and declare "It functions really well".

Last edited by Ignition Override; March 2, 2019 at 08:31 PM.
Old March 3, 2019, 12:26 AM   #22
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Utter nonsense
Complete truth.
Old March 3, 2019, 10:42 AM   #23
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts View Post
Complete truth.
Sorry I hurt your feelings, want a hug?
Old March 3, 2019, 10:48 AM   #24
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignition Override View Post
Almost nobody tests true durability on YouTube. The guy who does so, and is Not given free guns by any manufacturers is AKOU's "Rob Ski". There is no evidence that he is a promoter.

Testing various brands through 3,500, 5,000 rds. is extremely rare among other people, if at all.
Almost everybody can take a new gun, fire one hundred rounds and declare "It functions really well".
Yes an unfortunately many (maybe most) gun owners never fire thousands of rounds through any of their center fire weapons. They then jump on YouTube and forums and declare themselves experts on that particular platform. So many see themselves as John Wick, but in reality are more like Billy Glenn Norris.
Old March 3, 2019, 12:19 PM   #25
Bimus

I bought a new Norinco in 5.56 in the 80's I went back to the gun shop more then a few times to look at it and see if it was still there I even took the gun apart and nothing made of plastic . I knew nothing about Norinco . it looked good but being made in China was the tough part . I think I gave $600 for it that included 3 magazines bayonet cleaning kit sling and a case of Norinco 5.56 ammo something else made in China .(just not what I was use to )

The rifle was very accurate. The trigger when pulled moves back till it fires there is no taking up the slack .

My kids carried it and shot it more then I did .
Now years later its been a fine rifle to carry and shoot no problems
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1331.JPG (237.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1332.JPG (230.4 KB, 18 views)