The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 9, 2018, 10:41 AM   #26
robvasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
If you want a shooter , I bought my only 357 in 1970 , a Ruger Blackhawk .
I shot it a lot then and still shoot it a lot. I have put some stupid hot magnum loads through it back in the day . Nothing has ever broken and I still shoot it regularly.
Might want to check them out if you want to shoot it a lot.

They now have Vaquero's and Bisley's in blue steel and stainless and convertible models.
You can get one revolver and shoot 38 Special, 357 Magnum and with the extra cylinder it will shoot 9mm Luger...all kinds of good stuff available today .
Gary
I went to the local range where they rent guns and shot a .357 with both a .357 and the .38 special. Nice to have that flexibility. I went through $75.00 of ammo. This could get expensive.

I like the idea of having a modern revolver. I also want to have a historic gun. I have a Davide Pedersoli, Co. Harper's Ferry. Thus, I may forgo one expensive gun and buy a modern revolver and a Pedersoli reproduction.

Thank you for your insight.
Old December 9, 2018, 10:45 AM   #27
robvasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms6852 View Post
Here is a link to some of the older replicas you may like. I choose this link because this store is about an hours drive from my house. Cimmaron, Uberti, and Ruger vacquero and Bisleys could suit your needs. Like you I have plans for one of this guns in .357 caliber as I already reload and certain models can be ordered for .357. Now this guns are all single action.
https://www.texasjacks.com/guns-n-st...ml?caliber=209
Thank you for this information. I was not aware of the many brands of reproduction pistols that are available.

Yup, Single Action. That's fine with me.
Old December 9, 2018, 10:46 AM   #28
robvasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker_two View Post
It will work with just about any .357 Magnum load within SAAMI specs.....Ruger-only loads are a no-go. It won't work with .357SIG.

Another option is a SA revolver in .45ACP. All the fun of .45 Colt ammo at half the price.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Thank you. I want to be sure I don't make a mistake
Old December 9, 2018, 12:34 PM   #29
Jim Watson

Quote:
1. He missed the target, not once but twice. I have watched many of his videos and he has never missed, that I can recall. He later mentioned that it shoots low and left (or was it right?)
Low left seems to be the norm for SAA copies.
Low because the front sight is tall, I have a theory on the left deflection, maybe I had better run it by Driftwood Johnson before I post public.
CAS gunsmiths do a brisk business filing front sights down, rear sights square, and "tweaking" barrels to correct windage.
My Cimarron/ASM has the front sight visibly out of plumb, even though cutting the rear notch in the "hogwallow" from V to square was biased as far right as possible. But it hits. My Colt was close enough.

All the more reason to get a Blackhawk and just turn the adjusting screws.
Ruger took off the adjustable sights to produce the Vaquero... and raised the price. Genius marketing.
Old December 9, 2018, 01:39 PM   #30
Hawg

The front sights on Uberti's are very tall so you can file them down to fit your load.
Old December 9, 2018, 06:40 PM   #31
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy Again

Front sights on Colts, and their replicas have always been high.

So with a Colt, or reproduction you can always file the sight down to raise the point of impact. But you better be sure of your load before filing the sight down, because once you've taken the metal off it is tough to put it back on.

The front sight on the 2nd Gen Colt at the top of this photo has not been touched. I have left it just the way it was when it was made in 1973. The front sight on the one at the bottom has had some surgery. If you look carefully, you can see the shiny metal where some metal was welded on the top of the sight. Long before I bought it.

Here is a close up of the front sight with the shiny metal welded on. It looks like the smith undercut the original sight in order to help make sure the new material would stay put. Notice the top rear corner of the sight is not rounded at all.

Interestingly enough, the short barreled Colt is more accurate than the long barreled one. At least in my hands. Even with the shorter sight radius, when I need to fire at a slightly more distant CAS target, I always grab the shorter one if I have a chance.

The front sight on this Uberti Cattleman is pretty much the same as on the Colts.

Quote:
CAS gunsmiths do a brisk business filing front sights down, rear sights square, and "tweaking" barrels to correct windage.
Frankly, I don't bother filing down the front sights on any of my single action revolvers. I am not trying for pin point accuracy, I am just trying to hit a big piece of steel. It does not matter where we hit it, so long as we hit it. I did file down the front sight on this Ruger Vaquero right after I bought it, you can see how the top is flattened a little bit, but I don't bother anymore.

Quote:
My Cimarron/ASM has the front sight visibly out of plumb, even though cutting the rear notch in the "hogwallow" from V to square was biased as far right as possible. But it hits. My Colt was close enough.
I had an Uberti Cattleman a bunch of years ago that had a front sight out of plumb too. I sold it and used the money for a down payment on a Ruger.

But you raise a good point regarding the V rear sight. Many of the replica Colts reproduce the V rear sight that was typical on the early Colts. I have terrible eyesight and have trouble seeing the front sight in that tiny V. Colt changed the shape of the rear sights on the 2nd Gen, making a nice square rear sight. Much easier to see the front sight in that nice square.

In the photo below, the square rear sight of a 2nd Gen Colt is on the left, the V rear sight of my Uberti Cattleman is on the right.

One more thing about front sights. I remember reading years ago that gun writer Mike Venturino said that most Smith and Wesson Top Break revolvers tend to shoot high.

It was not until I had one that I realized he was correct. The reason is the front sights were very, very short. Look at this comparison of a 2nd Gen Colt to a S&W Shofield. Look how tiny that front sight is. I have to remember to hold very low with any of my big Top Break Smiths, or I will shoot right over the target.

Old December 9, 2018, 09:02 PM   #32
Rachen

Quote:
This is true. My step daughter got married and moved her husband in. He ruined my wife's car and I got pretty hot about it. While I was at work the next day he ran out on her and took 15 of my handguns with him.
To quote Judge Roy Bean from Streets of Laredo: "I hate thieves. A man that'll steal a penny from you...will steal a million dollars"

I hope you got your guns recovered in good condition, and as for the loser who took them, I hope he has a great new job after that......making license plates.
Old December 9, 2018, 10:11 PM   #33
Hawg

Quote:
I hope you got your guns recovered in good condition, and as for the loser who took them, I hope he has a great new job after that......making license plates.
Nope, never got them back. He's serving a 25 year sentence for grand theft and assorted drug charges.
Old December 9, 2018, 10:45 PM   #34
Jim Watson

For convenience and economy, it is hard to argue against .38/.357 and a 9mm cylinder for Ruger Convertible.
But the gun was designed as a .45 and the smaller holes in .38 barrel and.cylinder really affect the handling. I do not recommend .44 Special, .44 WCF, or .46 LC for the non-reloader.
But you CAN get a .45 LC/ACP Convertible and .45 Auto is not too expensive.
Old December 11, 2018, 07:09 AM   #35
Lee44ShooterCnB

Love my black powder rollers, but take a look at
https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...CENSORED-=1218

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...CENSORED-=1218

http://www.dwharris.com/gun%20pictures/sa/sa/index.htm

Have a great day

Last edited by Lee44ShooterCnB; December 11, 2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old December 11, 2018, 03:37 PM   #36
arcticap

Regarding the 2 different types of colorations for the Standard Manufacturing revolvers,
I called the company and spoke to a lady who had the answers about why there are
such diverse color differences in the photos that are shown on the Bud's website.
The 4.75 inch revolver shown there looks brownish while the 7.5 inch model looks very blue.

She was quite clear that there are 2 different options available.

One option is called case colored which has more of an earthy tone.
The other option is called blue which is the traditional blue case coloring and shows up
as being very blue case coloring on the Bud's website.

So it depends on which type of coloring is ordered.

It was only a local call for me and she invited me to come on down and take a look at their products sometime.
I told here that I would call her back if I wanted to come and look around.

Here's the blue model on Bud's:--->>> https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ne+Piece+Grips

And here's the case colored:--->>> https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ne+Piece+Grips

Last edited by arcticap; December 11, 2018 at 03:44 PM.