The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 16, 2019, 02:45 PM   #1
Chaparral

Load for 22 Nosler

Acquired a 22 Nosler in an AR platform. Just wondering if anyone had worked up a good load for their 22 Nosler before I start messing with it. I also see where not a lot of folks make 22 Nosler brass. Found one called Dog Town, and Nosler of course.
Old March 16, 2019, 04:10 PM   #2
Reloadron

Nosler makes a wide, very wide range of bullets, A good start can be found here. I believe what you want is the .224 Diameter bullets. Without a bullet weight and other bullet information it's sort of difficult to provide load data suggestions. Additionally less knowing your barrel twist rate it's hard to choose a bullet of the right weight.

Only Nosler makes Nosler brass.

Dog Town bullets made by Nosler and distributed by Midway USA.

The Dogtown line is manufactured exclusively for Midway USA by Nosler. When using Nosler bullets I suggest you start with Nosler Load Data and see what works for you.

Ron
Old March 16, 2019, 04:31 PM   #3
Chaparral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloadron View Post
Nosler makes a wide, very wide range of bullets, A good start can be found here. I believe what you want is the .224 Diameter bullets. Without a bullet weight and other bullet information it's sort of difficult to provide load data suggestions. Additionally less knowing your barrel twist rate it's hard to choose a bullet of the right weight.

Only Nosler makes Nosler brass.

Dog Town bullets made by Nosler and distributed by Midway USA.

The Dogtown line is manufactured exclusively for Midway USA by Nosler. When using Nosler bullets I suggest you start with Nosler Load Data and see what works for you.

Ron
1:7 twist. Just seeing if anyone had worked up a load that was good for them.
Old March 16, 2019, 05:10 PM   #4
Reloadron

OK, a 1:7 twist will stabilize the heavier bullets. Just as an example I have a few AR rifles in 223 Remington chambering. Only one has a 1:7 twist rate. That rifle shoots the heavier bullets like the Nosler 70 grain spitzer really well. I like powders like CFE 223 about 25.5 grains and BL-C(2) about 26 grains. When I want slower velocity Accurate 2520 at about 23 to 24 grains. So twist rate and bullet weight weight are important along with other bullet features. I also like the Nosler Ballistic Tip 55 grain bullets in my 1:12 twist rifle but they never shot well in my fast twist barrels. Keep in mind also the max C.O.A.L. you can get into an AR magazine when choosing a bullet weight. I also like H-335 powder in 223 using magnum primers. Always keep your loads well below maximum when trying something new. What works for me or anyone else may not shoot as well for you in your rifle.

Ron
Old March 17, 2019, 04:02 PM   #5
Chaparral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloadron View Post
OK, a 1:7 twist will stabilize the heavier bullets. Just as an example I have a few AR rifles in 223 Remington chambering. Only one has a 1:7 twist rate. That rifle shoots the heavier bullets like the Nosler 70 grain spitzer really well. I like powders like CFE 223 about 25.5 grains and BL-C(2) about 26 grains. When I want slower velocity Accurate 2520 at about 23 to 24 grains. So twist rate and bullet weight weight are important along with other bullet features. I also like the Nosler Ballistic Tip 55 grain bullets in my 1:12 twist rifle but they never shot well in my fast twist barrels. Keep in mind also the max C.O.A.L. you can get into an AR magazine when choosing a bullet weight. I also like H-335 powder in 223 using magnum primers. Always keep your loads well below maximum when trying something new. What works for me or anyone else may not shoot as well for you in your rifle.

Ron
Ron, thanks man. Great information. Yeah I have a .223 with a 1:7 twist like you. It does love the heavier grn bullets. The fellow that I bought the 22 Nosler from sold me some brass and some factory loads. I have not shot it yet. I'll start at 55 grn bullets and work up.