The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 14, 2018, 06:14 PM   #1
rep1954

Just Too Cool.

I think I have been bitten by the love bug. Although maybe in a 62 cal. smooth bore to make it a little more universal. Kind of like a blunderbuss without the blunder.

http://blog.davide-pedersoli.com/sho...k-short-rifle/
Old October 15, 2018, 02:09 PM   #2
rodwhaincamo

I have contemplated a short barrel (16-18”) for my Lyman, which, if using a Lyman barrel, would make the cut just after the first barrel for the sling. Just seems very handy and interesting, but then I’m not sure if it’s really worthwhile as opposed to the 24” barrel it sports. And then rifled or smooth?

Regardless I think it looks cool and fun!
Old October 15, 2018, 06:22 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

I remember seeing a short barrel jager (less than 14" barrel) that broke down at the wrist. No buttplate and it had a wood trigger guard that also separated at the wrist. It was thought that it was a poacher's gun.

Waterproof pan and roller on frizzen spring were much later concepts. Makes me wonder when that gun was made or whether the lock is a replacement. Look at the engraving. The quality of engraving on the cock is different from that of the lockplate.
Old October 16, 2018, 01:16 PM   #4
ThomasT

I have watched a lot of videos from CapnBall. He has some good stuff.

An old gun writer named John Wooters wrote about BP single shot handguns gettin 80% or so of the power as a longer barreled rifle. So I have been on the lookout for a beater CVA I could shorten down to about 20" or so. What a cool little gun that would be.
Old October 17, 2018, 03:16 PM   #5
Old Stony

I've played around some with shorter barrels and they are fun. The flinter here I cut to 26 inches to make sort of a canoe gun out of it. It's a .62 smoothbore. The T/C was a Pennsylvania Hunter that I ended up with and it had a barrel that was about gone, due to bad cleaning practices. I had a .45 Hawken barrel laying around, so I cut it to 22" and put the front sight back on it. It actually shoots pretty good as it is.
Old October 18, 2018, 10:37 AM   #6
bedbugbilly

Looks like fun!

These short barrels remind me of originals I have seen through the years of "buggy rifles". They were short barreled and easily carried in a buggy or a wagon. I've probably had the chance to examine a dozen or so in the last 50 years - all o them were percussion - some side locks an some under hammer.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 19, 2018, 02:04 PM   #7
bladesmith 1

Years back H&H barrel makers had some 20" 62 rifled swamped barrels for sale cheap. They made three of them too short. Even had the breech plug fitted. I made a Jager up using it. A nice little flinter that's fun to shoot.
Old December 19, 2018, 03:30 PM   #8
AmmunitionDepot

You're right that is cool! That thing would be awesome to shoot!