The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 23, 2017, 07:33 PM   #1
xandi

looking for new 22lr

hello every one
I am looking for a new 22lr rifle, what are other options comparable to the Ruger 10-22?
thx
p.s. I had and got rid of a Mossberg 702, so its not an option
Old April 23, 2017, 07:39 PM   #2
redrick

Marlin model 60 .
Old April 23, 2017, 07:50 PM   #3
CalmerThanYou

I have done some research on this, as I am in the market for a 22 also. I have decided on the CZ 455 Varmint Precision Trainer Camo

Sorry missed the "Similar To" part......nevermind

Last edited by CalmerThanYou; April 23, 2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old April 23, 2017, 07:54 PM   #4
FITASC

Another vote for the Marlin; less expensive than the Ruger, holds more ammo, and is more accurate
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 23, 2017, 09:06 PM   #5
Targa

I really like my Marlin 60.
Old April 23, 2017, 09:06 PM   #6
ShootistPRS

Marlins have a reputation for not being as finicky about the brand and type of ammo you feed them. They shoot most of the ammo reasonably well. They do have some mechanical problems that will surface over time but nothing that is a deal breaker.
If it has to be an auto loader then the Ruger and Marlin are likely the best bang for your buck. The 10-22 is infinitely more customizable but it all adds to the cost of the gun.
Old April 24, 2017, 02:22 AM   #7
DaleA

If you're looking for a new semi-auto, magazine fed .22LR long gun consider the following: (No particular order and IMhO they are all fine guns.)

1. As you mentioned the Ruger 10/22 is a fine choice and comes in a variety of models from Ruger. Rifle models, Carbine models, Take-down models, Target models etc. The Ruger 10/22 is generally conceded as the King for having the most after market accessories.
http://ruger.com/products/1022/overview.html

2. The Remington 597 also is available in several models and might be a good fit for you. I think currently they have three models.
https://www.remington.com/rifles/rimfire/model-597

3. The Browning Buckmark Rifle is a little quirky but you might like it.
http://www.browning.com/products/fir...rk-rifles.html

4. If you want to spend a little more, good things have been said about the accuracy of the CZ 512.
http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-512-22-...matic5-rd-mag/

The site you're on right now is a great place to get advice but you might also want to go over to Rimfire Central.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/
Old April 24, 2017, 08:08 AM   #8
armoredman

The CZ rimfires are really nice and we've had a few....but, (gasp!), I'm going to bring up something completely different.

My son absolutely loves this rifle, hands down. Historical, and mostly correct in appearance AND heft. Recoil is zero. Accuracy is pretty dadgum decent and reliability has been excellent. Also...from CDNN Sports they are on sale for $300. Just throwing that out there for what it's worth.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ricky online 4 19 17 smaller.jpg (212.1 KB, 604 views)
Old April 24, 2017, 09:17 AM   #9
peggysue

+1 on the German Sport Gun STG-44 22 Long Rifle. Fun to shoot and very reliable. Getting harder to find because the secret is out. Some come in an Amish made wood crate too.
Old April 25, 2017, 01:22 AM   #10
TruthTellers

After owning a Marlin XT-22, I won't ever bother with a newer made Marlin. If you can get an older Model 60, have at it. I know I would like to have one.

I think the 702 Plinkster is decent, but you don't apparently.

If I could, I'd get a Ruger Charger because non hyper velocity .22 hits its max velocity from a 9 to 12 inch barrel and the Charger is right in that Goldilocks zone. I'd love the takedown model with the threaded barrel and would put a folding buttstock on it.

You could do that, but don't tell no one or you'll get in troooooooooooooouble...

or you could pay the $200 2nd Amendment extortion tax to Uncle Sam and be right in the "eyes O' duh lore" if your state allows SBR's.

Mine doesnt
Old April 25, 2017, 06:18 AM   #11
Jack O'Conner

My Glenfield model 60 has had a couple thousand rounds shot through it but still functions properly. Other than routine cleaning, I replaced the recoil spring. The Glenfield line featured birch stocks and pressed checkering. This model is a keeper!

Jack

Old April 25, 2017, 07:02 PM   #12
10-96

I sure wish someone would post their experiences with a CZ 512. They've been available for quite a long time, but I haven't read any first hand regular guy reviews.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old April 25, 2017, 07:51 PM   #13
Pathfinder45

Of the new Marlins, I like the model 795, but hate its synthetic stock. I would probably buy one if they offered it in genuine Walnut. I'm a fan of the Marlin model 99-M1. There are a lot of model 60 variants out there on the 2nd hand market. Many of them have seen decades of hard use and need repairs. But I like them and know how to work on them, replacing worn and obsolete parts with upgrades. The feed throats have changed over the years, along with some other parts. An old one with functional problems can make a fun and fairly easy project to get it back up and running. One like that needs to be pretty cheap because you will probably spend $50.00 to $75.00 in parts at Numrich. Those folks are very helpful with this stuff.
Old April 25, 2017, 07:57 PM   #14
xandi

Iv held a cz rimfire before, I loved it til I saw the price. id much rather get a 7.62X39 cz at that price point
My 702 plinkster couldn't hold a group ( shotguns had tighter groups no joke)

I'm open to bolt actions and semis if that helps
Old April 26, 2017, 12:01 AM   #15
DaleA

I like first hand experiences too and I'd sure read a first hand CZ 512 report

BUT!

First hand experiences many times is suspect because it's one guy and one gun. I've had first hand experience with a Ruger Target 10/22 that wasn't very accurate. Also with a Colt .22 conversion unit for a 1911 pistol that wasn't very good.

But I'm one guy so take my experiences with pretty much a grain of salt.

FWIW I really worked with the .22 Colt conversion unit and never got it to work adequately. The Ruger Target .22 I shot, well I'm still scratching my head over that. Heavy barrel...I think it should have shot better than inch and a half or two inches at 50 yards. I suspect other Ruger Target 10/22 DO shoot better than this and there's a ton of after market stuff that you can do to turn a 10/22 into a real tack driver.

As far as the price goes, well I agree with the 'Buy once, cry once' philosophy. Spend the extra bucks and get a quality item (like maybe the CZ 512). You can use my mental trick if you want. Say to your self, the high quality gun will last just about forever so the cost per month is just about zero.

Good luck.
Old April 26, 2017, 02:05 AM   #16
armoredman

A couple of CZ 512 experiences, asked for. Forgive me, they are linked to another forum.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=81217.0

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=68527.0
Old April 26, 2017, 02:20 AM   #17
DaleA

Thanks for the references armoredman. I might have to move the CZ 512 up on the list.
Old April 26, 2017, 06:57 AM   #18
Excoastie

I was going round and round about which .22LR to pick up. I knew from doing research that the 10/22 was what most considered to be the best on the market. Most would agree that it's also very reliable, and usually stuff doesn't break.

I wasn't looking to do a lot of customizing, so I didn't think that the 10/22 was for me, especially considering that I was looking at around $300-$380 all in with new rifle and scope.

I considered several of the other options, the Mossberg 702 Plinkster & Remington 597 to name two. After doing a bit more research, several gunsmiths told me that the Remington was often seen in their shops for stuff needing fixing, and I felt that the Mossberg was just too light, and it felt too toy-like.

I decided to look around at a couple of the local pawn shops and LGS, to see what I could find in the used market. It took several stops, but I finally found a 10/22 with a relatively cheap Simmons 3-9X40 scope on it priced for $219.
I suspect that the employee that I spoke with didn't really understand the concept of how to do basic math, as I offered him $200 for the rifle, he thought about it for a minute and said that he'd meet me in the middle for $210 out the door (which came out to $191.XX plus tax).

I walked away with a great, but extremely dirty rifle that I figure I can have many many years of fun with at a price that I didn't mind spending.

Keep your options open, and don't be afraid to put in the time and effort to possibly buy something used.

Exco
Old April 26, 2017, 11:38 AM   #19
Camnus

I'll throw in the savage Mark ii bull barrel. It's a tackdriver. And the wife really appreciates the accutrigger.

Cam
Old April 27, 2017, 10:05 PM   #20
dvdcrr

We've got a Marlin 795, Ruger 10/22 takedown, Mossberg plinkster (I believe made in Brasil), KelTec SU-22. Probably like the 795 the best, to me the KelTec and Ruger are equal. The Mossberg works well for being the cheapest. It is legit.
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old April 27, 2017, 10:23 PM   #21
Danoobie

My Marlin 60 is OK, but have you tried a 10/22 Breakdown?
Shoots well, and is very easy to clean.
Old April 27, 2017, 11:30 PM   #22
BigBL87

Since you said you're open to bolt action, I'll second the recommendation of a Savage Mark II with a bull barrel. I have a Savage Mark II FV myself, insanely accurate. No exaggeration, a friend and I were shooting 9mm casings at 50 yards pretty consistently a week or two ago with it. I'm no marksman, so I was pretty happy with that.
Old April 27, 2017, 11:46 PM   #23
Water-Man

Marlin Model 60.
Old April 28, 2017, 12:10 AM   #24
BingoFuel

A CZ UZA 452-2E ZKM XII Super Match 22LR (24.8").
Though I'm left handed and prefer to shoot LH designs, this thing is amazing. Hard to find but excellent.
Old April 28, 2017, 02:35 PM   #25
Bamashooter

I had a plinkster and didnt like it. It shot good enough and was reliable but its cheaply made with cheap metal and parts. I love my 10/22's. Well made and plenty accurate. Never really understood the knock on the 10/22's accuracy because both of mine will shoot very well. Sure there are better guns but Mossberg's and Marlins are not in my opinion. I have a Remington Targetmaster that will shoot better than any .22lr Ive ever had so if I need super accurate I shoot it.