The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 8, 2015, 11:32 AM   #1
Dixiemunitions

Powdercoating Non-stick solution needed...

I am powdercoating pistol and rifle bullets in a variety of calibers. I am using an EC gun and getting good results, but with one caveat: the excess powder I spray between the bullets basically glues them to the tin foil in the oven, and makes it really difficult to get the bullets free after the requench. Has anybody come across a solution for this?
I think someone once mentioned spraying the foil with PAM cocking spray before you place the bullets, and I am wondering if anybody has had good luck with this.
Thanks in advance!
Old October 8, 2015, 09:22 PM   #2
snuffy

Non-stick foil

Don't use any oil on the foil, just buy some Reynolds non-stick al. foil. The overspray problem is easily solved, don't bake the bullets on the same foil, move them to another piece of foil. You can then save the overspray powder to re spray. I use a cheap foam paintbrush to gather the overspray to dump back in the ES spray gun cup.

Why are you quenching the boolits? It's not needed. Quenching plain lead boolits that are then lubed with some sort of grease was to prevent leading. Powder coated boolits do not lead. Even soft lead can be shot without leading when powder coated.

I air cool my coated boolits, most are 12 BHN wheel weight lead cast. No leading and excellent accuracy.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old October 8, 2015, 10:50 PM   #3
Dixiemunitions

Thanks Snuffy! Follow up question...

How do I transfer the bullets to a separate piece of foil without knocking the PC off them?
Old October 8, 2015, 10:57 PM   #4
Vance

A pair of curved forceps like these in this set : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Y8FH0H2AYQQ1BS . Dip the jaws in some of the powder coating powder so they are covered with a fine layer. You don't bake the powder on, just leave them covered with the powder. Then use the forceps to transfer the bullets from one tray to the other. Doing it this way leaves a very minimal if any mark on the bullet.
Old October 9, 2015, 12:01 PM   #5
mikld

There is more info on coating bullets here than most will ever need...http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...d-Alternatives

Tags
powdercoat , powdercoating