The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 12, 2010, 11:50 PM   #1
golfnutrlv

M1 Garand Cleaning Process

Alright everyone, looking for some info on cleaning the Garand. Is it ok to clean it from the muzzle?? Been using a boresnake just for a basic cleaning.

Give me a little help here, already have all the rods, patches, and other accessories of course. I always was taught don't clean from the muzzle.

Thanks
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old December 13, 2010, 01:06 AM   #2
bamaranger

not much choice

With a Garand, you've got to work from the muzzle. Put the rifle in a cradle, sights down, gas system up, to avoid liquid into the gas chamber.

Use a muzzle guide to protect the crown. Muzzle wear on original barrels is mostly the result of GI cleaning w/ no guide and steel rods.

I get mixed comments on this one, but for a muzzle only cleaner, you might consider a quality coated rod.

Finally, I have become a fan of the copper cutting foam cleaners, which reduce the need for using a rod considerably.
Old December 13, 2010, 11:35 AM   #3
overland

I clean mine from the muzzle. You just need to be careful not to nick the muzzle crown. It works fine. The CMP manual that came with mine states that its too be cleaned that way.
Old December 13, 2010, 11:52 AM   #4
Flatbush Harry

+1 on muzzle guide and from the muzzle. Also, do not use jointed steel rod but rather one-piece rod.

FH
Old December 13, 2010, 12:13 PM   #5
golfnutrlv

Thanks everyone, just not used to cleaining from the muzzle, was a little leary about it. Already have a good one piece coated Kleen bore rod that I use for my .308 bolt rifle.

Just needed a little reassurance

Thanks
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old December 13, 2010, 01:24 PM   #6
Tim R

http://creedmoorsports.com/store/home.php

You should be able to find a bore guide at Creedmoorsports. I use one to clean the bores of my M-1's. A Chamber brush is a god idea too.

You don't need to remove the rifle from the stock everytime you clean the bore. The gas system is self cleaning for one and it take a few rounds for the rifle to settle back in to the stock. If you have a tight fitting stock you only loosen it everytime the rifle is taken out.
Old December 13, 2010, 01:52 PM   #7
kraigwy

More guns are ruined by improper cleaning then no cleaning.

If you can use a bore snake from the chamber end, thats the way to go. If you have to clean from the muzzle use a stainless one piece rod and rod guide.

If you check may surplus Garands, Carbines, etc, you'll find muzzle wear. I really doubt thats from shooting, I believe its from using sectional steel rods.

Coated and alum. rods pick up girt and grim with gets imbedded in the surface and turns the rod into a file.

You'd be better off not cleaning the barrel if all you have is that crap. Just clean the chamber and let it go.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 14, 2010, 09:43 PM   #8
golfnutrlv

Thanks everyone for the replies. Got a good cleaning in last night on the Garand. Got a lot of blue patches thanks to my bottle of CR-10. Patches are totally white at the end of the day, thanks for reassuring me.