The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 19, 2018, 06:55 PM   #1
oldscot3

mojo micro-click peep for 98

I'm curious about shooting a peep sight that mounts forward of the receiver on the rear sight base. I've shot peeps that mount more rearward on the rear bridge where it's closer to the eye but not the forward ones.

I'd like to try one on a Persian mauser, the advantage being no permanent modifications to the rifle. I'm just a little worried however, about dropping the coin and then not liking how it works for me.

Anybody here have one, how does it work for you?

Williams makes them for '96 Swedes and a company named Mo Jo makes one for '98s that looks pretty nice.
Old February 26, 2018, 05:53 PM   #2
jfruser

I have a Mojo on my Swede Mauser. I like it very much. Much easier to shoot accurately and quickly.

One "must" for these sorts of sight (or most ANY milsurp mauser) is an extra-tall front sight blade. Most of these guns have a minimum sight/range setting and these aftermarket peeps inherit that. Nifty thing to do is to install your new mojo or williams rear peep, set it dead nuts middle of the elevation & azimuth adjustments, and then zero or set POA = POI using the front sight with your preferred ammo. This will involve using a file on the front sight blade and maybe drifting the front sight post. Once you do that, you can use the nifty new rear peep sight adjustment for any reasonable load for that rifle.

That is just what I did for my Swede. Used Privi Partisan 140gr SP ammo to set POA = POI at 100 yards. Can now adjust out to 300+ yards or in to 25 yards with the elevation adjustment on the rear peep.
Old February 28, 2018, 04:56 PM   #3
gwpercle

I have a MoJo on a 1911K Schmidt Rubin 7.5 Swiss straight pull rifle , it mounts in place of the rear sight. My eyes are older now and have trouble seeing iron .
It does work...not as fast or as easily as a peep closer to your eye but it makes shooting easier than that tiny open notch.
When the peep is close to your eye you just look through the hole, eye centers on it , put front sight on target and fire.
When the peep is out on the barrel you have to find it and center front sight in the opening , then put front sight on target. Still much easier than using the little notched rear sight .
I shoot heavy cast bullet loads at approx 1600 fps, at no more than 100 yards (usually 50 yds.) these loads impact higher than factory ammo so no front sight modifications were needed. This was the easiest least costly way for me to get a usable sight on the Swiss K11.
I kept the rear sight so it could be converted back.