The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 7, 2015, 10:16 PM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

It is a beautiful gun. Also has about zero value to any serious military collector.

Find someone who loves Krags, because they are Krags, not GI issue guns, and who wants a pretty one, might be worth a few hundred dollars.

I see beautifully done sporterized Krags, Springfields, Mausers, etc on gun show tables for $3-400 alongside the same model guns, in GI trim for $8-1300! Even the beat up ones.

In today's market, unless your sporter has documented proof it was done by one of the nationally recognized master gunsmiths of its era (in which case it may be worth thousands) you will be lucky to get 4 bills and change, if the buyer is feeling generous.

For field use today the buying public seems to want modern guns, and favors stainless, alloys, and synthetics. For collecting, and pride of ownership, they pay what to me are unreal amounts for original condition military rifles.

Wait a bit (and maybe not that long) and someone will be around to tell you what a shame it is that someone ruined that valuable Krag. ALL they can see is that is no longer in GI condition.

What I see, is what we all saw in those days, something common and (nearly) as cheap as dirt, functionally improved for its intended use, and visually pleasing to the eye. Sadly, for the seller, in today's market its not worth much money. For those of us who still like that kind of thing, some really fine rifles can be had, cheap!

I have a Norwegian Krag, 6.5x55mm Swede caliber, three digit ser#, 1897 date. At some point, probably well over half a century ago, the stock was slimmed a bit and civilian sights were put on. Uber rare I the US, in GI trim, very spendy. I paid $400, and the seller was happy to get something.

shame, really.
Old April 8, 2015, 11:05 AM   #27
aarondhgraham

Dang this thread anyways,,,

Dang this thread anyways,,,
Now I hafta track down my nephew,,,
And see if I can talk him out of the Krag I gave him when he was a kid.

It was my natural fathers rifle,,,
Back in the early 80's I got out of guns,,,
I gave this to him because he's the last descendant.

He and his family deer hunt every year,,,
I figure he would use the rifle at least one time,,,
But apparently it's in a closet and hasn't seen daylight in 20+ years.

It had been Sporterized by Bubba at some time,,,
So if I were to somehow talk my nephew out of the rifle,,,
I would probably go full tilt and make it a full on customized sporter.

See what you've done?

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old April 8, 2015, 08:55 PM   #28
johnm1

The single picture is tough to make out. Making a few assumptions that it is a typical 1898 that has been re-blued, bolt polished, chromed barrel bands and the stock sanded/refinished and the receiver hasn't been drilled for a scope.

Although it may not have any value to a military collecter, it probably does have some value to a competitive shooter. The chrome bands would have to be replaced with blued but if it shoots well I wouldn't mind taking that rifle to a CMP match.

Assuming the above and with the chrome bands replaced I might pay $400 for it. A far cry from the $750 it would have been worth had it not been 'prettied up'. But it is what it is now. a handsome rifle that I wouldn't be ashamed to take to a match.

Very nice wood on it. Is that an 1896 rear sight?

Let us know what model it is and serial number. You can replace the last 2 or 3 digits with X's if you don't want to expose the entire serial number. Better pictures would also help. Specifically the receiver, rear and front sight.

Do you shoot the local matches? If not, this would probably be the instrument to get you started.
Old April 9, 2015, 12:37 AM   #29
A pause for the COZ

I love to buy sporterized military rifles.
I have a 1943 Long Branch 303 and a 8mm Mauser. That had been done years ago.
Lots of accurate fun shooting for not a whole lot of money.
I buy em to shoot em, not to collect them so it works great for me.

That Krag you got, i would have purchased in exactly seconds after finding it.
Actually if you get bored with it. Shoot me a PM