The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 19, 2021, 11:21 AM   #1
45flaco

Opening garand bolt face without annealing

Hey guys.
Trying to open up the bolt face on a garand bolt without annealing it, as that would require putting it back through heat treat again.
Tried a lathe, but since the bolt face ring is interrupted, it just chipped the carbide inserts without ever cutting. Since it's a hardened part, I'm guessing that HSS won't even touch it.
Even tried putting it on the mill and using an end mill. Same thing.
Anyone got ideas? I don't mind experimenting, I started with a formerly welded bolt, knowing I'll likely screw it up.
Or, even someone that could do this?
Needing it opened for a 0.532 case rim.
Thanks!
Old January 19, 2021, 11:37 AM   #2
Bart B.

What cartridge do you want to use?
Old January 19, 2021, 03:23 PM   #3
HiBC

I'll stay away from whether its a good idea. I have a hard time thinking the en block clip will work,but thats not the question.
I'll assume you are as familiar with carbide grades and speeds,feeds,and rigidity as I am.Which is nothing special!!)

If I had that problem,before I retired I'd just use the Handsfedt sinker EDM ,spin up a graphite electrode and burn it.

If carbide won't work, IMO,EDM is usually the the easiest answer if is available.

Lacking that, a tool post grinder in a lathe is another choice.

Lacking that,I might rig a fresh,unworn air die grinder or foredom handpiece in a lathe boring bar holder There are Borazon Carbide burrs that are used in a jig grinder. Or,if you go easy,a mounted stone might work, Diamond dress it in place,don't push it too hard. It just MIGHT work (or not !!!)
Old January 19, 2021, 04:17 PM   #4
tango1niner

I don't have a tool post grinder for my little 10" lathe, wish I did. I fabbed a holder for a dremel type grinder for the lathe and use mounted abrasives. I dress wheel with a diamond just like the big boys and just go slow. Works for me...
Old January 19, 2021, 04:43 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Some years ago, there was someone who, if you sent them your Garand and enough money, they would send you back your Garand in .458 Win Mag. With a 4 shot enbloc clip.

Never saw any detailed reviews of the work, and I doubt they did very many, but it appears it was mechanically possible.

Haven't seen any of those ads in ages, don't think there's anyone currently doing that kind of work.
Old January 19, 2021, 04:45 PM   #6
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBC View Post
I'll stay away from whether its a good idea. I have a hard time thinking the en block clip will work,but thats not the question.
If he's wanting to use a 30 caliber belted magnum, the barrel's gas port may be too big.

Tags
bolt face , garand , hardened , interrupted cut , machining