The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 25, 2012, 10:33 PM   #1
MTT TL

Making it even more Quiet

I am curious.

Is it legal (or advisable) to make a suppressor more quiet? Supposing I lengthen it or some other away? This would not change the weapon at all merely improve the suppressor.
Old July 25, 2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Willie Lowman

No problem with quieter suppressors but civilians aren't allowed to make changes to a suppressor AFAIK.

The length of a suppressor can't be changed.

There isn't any changing of a suppressor allowed unless you are a manufacturer.
Old July 26, 2012, 07:50 AM   #3
Skans

I know this is a funky concept, but BATFE considers a suppressor a registered firearm. I think BATFE might be a little "on edge" about people taking a registered weapon and modifying it. Think about it:

Let's see, today I'm going to take my 45 acp suppressor and modify it to use with 5.56.....308......(you get the point). Pay one tax, own an unlimited number of suppressors and suppressor parts.....bad idea.

Someone tried to use serial numbers off of registered Mac 10's to create new, more valuable machine guns. That guy is now doing time.

Last edited by Skans; July 26, 2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old July 26, 2012, 08:55 PM   #4
MTT TL

Ok. I see the issue. Thanks for the advice. It is not horribly noisy it would just be nicer if it were a little more quiet. Next time I guess.
Old July 26, 2012, 09:38 PM   #5
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans
Let's see, today I'm going to take my 45 acp suppressor and modify it to use with 5.56.....308......(you get the point).
No modification required. If it will thread on to the muzzle, you can put a larger than firearm caliber suppressor on your gun... so, yes, a .45 suppressor will work, albeit not very well in some cases, on any firearm .45 cal or less.

We've screwed on .45 suppressors onto 44, 40, 9mm and 32 cal pistols with, as you can imagine, varying degrees of success. Suppressor intended design and bullet velocity have a substantial effect on sound attenuation.

To expand on this, a suppressor intended for a 7.62 works fairly well on a 5.56. No... not as well as a dedicated 5.56 unit, but still, pretty quiet. No dB meter data to back up what I'm saying... just what I and others heard.

Cheers,
C
Old July 26, 2012, 11:23 PM   #6
David Hineline

Often if it is a 9mm or 22lr silencer it can be upgraded by various manuf. which can make it much quieter.

Without nowing what you bought, I can not advise.