The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 21, 2013, 01:49 PM   #1
skizzums

Never been hunting

Hey guys, I've never been hunting in my life, I'll start with that. My buddy at work has given me access to a 150acre hunting lot and said I can go kill whatever I want, especially the hogs and coyotes. I have lots of smaller guns, the only thing I have large enough for a hog is a couple mosin nagants, which I'm an excellent shot with. I need to read to into some info on how to hunt hogs and where to shoot em etc. anyone have any good links or some stuff that's a must read before I go out on my first hunt would be great. It's in northern ga btw, just north of canton. Thanks
Old August 21, 2013, 03:21 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

This site....
http://www.hunting-in-texas.com/learnhogs.htm
Has some good info and pics.... like...
http://www.hunting-in-texas.com/learnhogs.htm#anatomy

Brent
Old August 21, 2013, 03:26 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

And this site...

http://www.texasboars.com/

Has great stuff... Under the "Tactics and Tips" button you go through "hunting" and get to this great but graphic layer by layer of internals for shot placement...

http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html

Brent
Old August 21, 2013, 03:31 PM   #4
22-rimfire

You might check the GA hunting regulations as far as licensing, but certainly for deer and small game you will need a license. I'm not sure about feral hogs and coyotes which are considered pests.
Old August 21, 2013, 08:25 PM   #5
BigD_in_FL

When in doubt on animals like that, go for the heart/lung area
Old August 22, 2013, 10:42 AM   #6
globemaster3

Since you are getting started and have never done this before, I think using your Mosin will be just find until you figure out if you will like this or not. Especially if you shoot your Mosin well, like you mentioned.

You'll have to check GA hunting regs, but definitely for deer and probably for hogs, by law you will not be able to use the cheap FMJ 7.62X54R ammo you have probably been using. You will need to find some hunting ammo made for expansion, and a quick google search will produce some results you can begin considering. Make sure you practice with your chosen hunting ammo, as the point of impact will probably be different than what you have been using.

As for any game animal, you need to put the bullet into a vital area. Brent's suggestions for studying hog anatomy is excellent, and you can google deer and coyote as well. Most folks I know take a little more liberal approach to shot angles on varmints, as meat conservation is not a concern.

Those are some basics for starters. You will also need to study hunting tactics as well as do some homework on the property to understand where the animals bed, feed, drink, move, what times they come out, etc. I'm certain more folks will come along and fill in the details.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old August 22, 2013, 08:56 PM   #7
skizzums

okay thanks, my reload sjop sells ballistic tip 54r, i'll make sure to grab some and practice a little bit with it first, cuz your right, i shoot steel core surplus mainly, and handloads a few times. i will go ahead and get a permit regardless. do you usually pull the hogs out, or just leave em to rot?
Old August 22, 2013, 10:04 PM   #8
tahunua001

why don't we start with how to hunt before we move to how to hunt hogs.

before you can hunt you must have a hunting license even if you are hunting for animals that do not require tags.

before you can get a license you must take hunters ed, lots of good information there.
Old August 22, 2013, 10:18 PM   #9
Bullcamp82834

Skizzums,

Are you talking about the Cherokee County area?

I used to live there and still have land there. Shots won't be long and the cover will be thick. Best of luck. Just about any rifle will do.
Old August 22, 2013, 10:19 PM   #10
ripnbst

To be honest your steel core milsurp ammo will be fine for coyote. Probably for hogs too.

I'd leave the yote's where they fall but hogs are BACON!!!
Old August 23, 2013, 08:31 AM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

How much time one has spent out "in the boonies" has a lot to do with success. The more time spent wandering and exploring an area means learning about game trails and directions of travel. Just sitting and watching open areas from concealment at daylight and dusk is a learning experience.

Figure out feeding areas and bedding areas, and the travel paths between. Look for trails to and from water sources.

Even if you're not actually hunting, you're learning.
Old August 23, 2013, 12:36 PM   #12
TimSr

I would highly recommend any first time hunter take an NRA hunter education course, especially if you are not hunting with other seasoned hunters to help tutor you.
Old August 23, 2013, 12:42 PM   #13
globemaster3

Art has given you some valuable go-dos for the near term as well... Gathering intel.

As for the hogs, yes, I pull them out. The wife actually prefers wild pork to venison. Lots of good meat there provided you put the bullet into the lung/heart area. Anything through the stomach/intestines is going to make a mess, not to mention smell.

Another good idea for starters is find somewhere you can take your hog/deer to have processed. A lot if folks will do it themselves and I have more than a few times, but you need to learn hunting skills first. We can work on processing skills later. Check your local meat shops in the phone book for ones that advertise deer processing. More than likely, they'll do hogs too. Also talk to folks you know who hunt for recommendations as well as google feedback on them. Not all are operated the same...

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old August 24, 2013, 04:30 PM   #14
skizzums

yes bull, it is kinda near cherokee, a bit north though, maybe about 45 mins north.
Old August 26, 2013, 01:04 AM   #15
BIG P

Skizzums I would come up and look around a little before you get to carried way.I live up here & canton aint really a target rich environment. Not trying to bad mouth your hunt at all its steep hills and heavy cover make hog & coyote hunting pretty tuff & low animal numbers don't help. It will truly be a challenge to a new hunter.Im just saying. Good luck on your hunt & have fun.
Old August 26, 2013, 07:38 PM   #16
skizzums

thanks BigP, don't worry, i'm not getting worked up over it, i figure it'll be a lot of nothing the first few times i try. i wish deer weren't so damn purty, or i'd just wait for deer season and probably actually get to kill something. i figure hogs are nasty enough to where as i wouldn't feel guilty when it's bedtime.

absolutely no disrespect to deer hunters. i think it's a great sport as long as it's used after its killed. unfortunately, my mother worked at the humane society in michigan where i grew up, and we constanly rehabilitated deer on our barn that had broken hips etc. from being hit by cars. so i just wouldn't be able to do it, its a sad flaw in my charcter.
Old August 26, 2013, 08:28 PM   #17
shortwave

Quote:
its a sad flaw in my charcter.
Don't know about that skizzums.

Nothing wrong with not wanting to hunt something. IMO, hunting doesn't make a person.