The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 25, 2018, 03:58 PM   #1
Chaparral

Witt Machine & Tool co. Muzzle Brakes

Just wondering if anyone had any 1st hand experience using Witt Machine & Tool Co clamp on muzzle break.

https://www.wittmachine.net/custom-c...zle-brake.html
Old July 25, 2018, 04:50 PM   #2
cw308

Yes , I have a threaded custom muzzle that cost me 275 pluss 100 to install . My shooting friend found Witt Machine and I helped him order with the measurements , when it arrived we installed it at the range , it clamps to the barrel . I was Leary on the clamp on units but after seeing the brake , installing it on his barrel 308 Cal. it is rock solid ,two years now it hasn't moved. I would have gone with that brake if Iknew of the company six years ago .

The guy next to you at the bench will get hit with a blast of air after every shot , it will lower your recoil in half makes shooting very enjoyable . I wouldn't hesitate on the Witt Machine brake well made piece of steel . Hope I Helped .

Chris
Old July 25, 2018, 06:12 PM   #3
Chaparral

Yes, thanks for your response. I will be placing it on a Remington 40x in 300 Win Mag. It is has a stainless steel barrel. My only fear is marring the barrel when I clamp it on.
Old July 25, 2018, 07:19 PM   #4
cw308

When ordering I remember measuring down from the muzzle I can't remember the distance , it's whatever the brake goes the barrel . That diameter and the diameter at the muzzle . Their instructions are specific to your barrel . It fits over the barrel smoothly , it tightens down evenly , once it's on you wouldn't want to shoot with it off . It will feel lighter then a 308 . My friends 308 bolt action feels like a 223 . After you press the trigger and the round goes off you'll still be looking at your target not the guys target next to you . The brake comes in stainless , if you pull the trigger on the brake , let me know how you like it . Give them a call they'll answer all your worries . There a great company to deal with . Hope I Helped .
P.S. I'm the guy under your post , just got a bore scope , another fun tool to use . I just remembered , two years back I listed a post on this forum how much I liked the Witt Machine muzzle brake .

Chris

Last edited by cw308; July 25, 2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old July 25, 2018, 08:44 PM   #5
Chaparral

Thank you Chris! I'm going to order mine this week.
Old July 25, 2018, 09:09 PM   #6
cw308

You won't be sorry and you will enjoy shooting your win mag much better . Glad to help.
Old August 12, 2018, 10:07 AM   #7
Bfglowkey

Am late to the party on this one since you already ordered it but I am a very big fan of Witt and their products. I have a clamp on and a threaded for 2 of my rifles and both perform well above expectations...especially the clamp on. I might be a little wacky but not the only one who has said this ( you tube reviewer said the same thing of the clamp on) but after the small POI shift adjustments my groups have tightened up significantly on my 308 and my 6mm Creedmoor ( ya not necessary for the 6mm but it aids in reacquiring target and watching impacts ) One of the better brake designs I have seen out there.
Old September 24, 2020, 11:48 AM   #8
LeoBarone99

Witt Machine Clamp on muzzle brake adapter -SCRAP, TERRIBLE CR!

I am as selective as anyone else regarding the companies I decide to do business with, and although I have read the bad reviews, after reading a bit about the Witt Machine history, I developed enough respect and confidence to make my decision and hoped that it won't happen to me.
Anyways, I received the parts I ordered in about 2 weeks. The muzzle brake looked fine but the muzzle clamp adapter came in with a surprising concentricity error between the threads and the hole of about 11.5 mils. Considering the questionable barrel alignment added by the clamp section and the resulting muzzle break tilt, the total error is very likely to lead to a bullet hit before leaving the assembly.

After attempting to install the muzzle clamp adapter on the rifle so I can measure the assy compounding concentricity error, to my surprise it did not fit onto the rifle barrel either. Even after reversing the clamping screws as instructed to open the clamp as much as possible and forced it in with a plastic mallet, the barrel stopped about half inch from bottoming out into the clamp adapter. The screw heads also rub into their seats stripping away the ceramic coating.
Before returning the product and add to the bad reviews I found on the exact same issue, I decided to further analyze these 2 issues and give Witt Machine a fair chance to fix them. I found that the barrel fit issue was a result of a fundamentally wrong way to measure the rifle barrel end section as instructed, which is not only insufficient to describe the true muzzle shape/geometry, but actually detrimental. Although not obvious to the naked eye, the end of the barrel on my Remington 700, and I suppose other rifles owned by so many of the people that report with similar complaints on being unable to fit these clamp-on adapters, is not exactly conical to only require 2 measurements (at muzzle end and 1.625" deep), but it is actually rounded off towards the end, creating a curved outline. That would require at least 3-4 measurements along the 1.625” barrel end section in order to properly describe the true muzzle shape.
So I decided to put in a few hours and made a detailed 3D CAD drawing to help us all solve this issue which I suspect is fairly common in barrel manufacturing, and hopefully improve their website measurement instructions to avoid encountering future issues for the benefit of their customers, but their company as well.
I emailed the drawing with my comments for review and asked for feedback and their input on solving this issue, but no reply. I pinged them again asking how they want to solve this issue after another week, but again -no answer. After 2 additional weeks -still no reply, so I decided to call the company and talked with a CR lady who didn't seem to be neither sympathetic towards the issue, nor interested in allowing me to have a constructive discussion with a technical person to whom I could present my analysis concluding that the WittMachine measurement method and instructions on their website lacks the necessary detail and leads to inaccurate characterization of certain kinds of barrel muzzle geometries. BTW, she said that they read and respond to all their emails. Right…
In spite of my insistent but polite efforts to make her understand that the improvements I am suggesting to their measurement method would correct the issues complained by so many customers in the bad reviews I have seen (which BTW I was cut off by her saying that it isn't true, but it's ok, I believe the countless online reviews and comments), minimize product returns and ultimately -not only significantly benefit us as customers, but the WittMachine company as well, the CR expressed no interest whatsoever. More than that, as she seemed to run out of patience, she told me to ship the part back (at my expense) for a refund, after which the call was cut short with a quick thank you then she hung up before I could even respond with a customary greeting.
Obviously, I can't tell if this level of rare disinterest for constructive dialog with a customer who is willing and even inviting to do just that is a general company lack of regard, or if it comes from this employee's single ended decision or lack of interest in personal involvement -fact about which the company might not even be aware of, the bottom line is that I am very disappointed with the experience and I will never order from this company again, nor I advise anyone to do that.
Given the experience, I am not even going to send the part in for refund because at this point I am not sure how this could end. I own a lathe and decided to take a stab at fixing this myself rather than pay return shipping and continue to deal with this company any further.
Old October 1, 2020, 07:34 PM   #9
Chaparral

I posted my first question about Witt muzzle brakes back in 2018. Since then I have purchased 3 different ones. I have never had a problem. The magnum rifles I ordered them for have been tamed and are enjoyable shooters.
Old October 1, 2020, 07:54 PM   #10
Sevens

I’ve only dealt with them once. On the recommendation of a nice guy at the rifle range, I ordered up two of them. They arrived in short order, both fit absolutely like a glove. One still hasn’t seen a round yet, but I knew that up front.

The other one went on my prairie dog rifle and to say that it was a success would be to sell it royally short. It has been a game changer and I had my best trip ever last June.

I’m not much of a rifle guy, but the Witt Machine and Tool clamp-on brake gets a glorious review from me.
Old October 17, 2020, 01:44 PM   #11
Bfglowkey

Witt clamp on for a Savage 12FV 308 and never once regretted it. The folks who stand next to me when I shoot might. Fir perfect and the instructions were spot on. Measure the spots they tell you to 3 times and avg them out and the fit seems amazing. Have had several friends use them as well and everyone is happy. YMMV
Old October 28, 2020, 07:53 AM   #12
Bart B.

The 40X is a match rifle. If you're using it in competition be sure muzzle brakes are allowed.