The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 19, 2015, 07:27 AM   #1
Kryzul

Wait times?

Hey all,

I just got my LTC and I'm going to be purchasing my new firearm soon. The place I'm going is a long drive and I had a question. Is there a wait time and how long does it usually take? I live in Mass. I don't want to have to leave and come back a few days later for the background check and make that drive again.

If its a few days ill probable go somewhere that has a reduced selection and priced much higher.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old October 19, 2015, 09:04 AM   #2
jmhyer

I don't know about your state. I can get in and out in about 30 minutes in my state. In my state, having my CCW permit avoids the need for the NICS check.

My suggestion is this...
Buy local. If you know what you want and your LGS doesn't have it, see if they can get it at a decent price. It's worth a few extra bucks not to have to drive a long way. Alternatively, you can often get the best prices online and have it shipped to a local FFL. The vast majority of FFLs are willing to be the middle man in such a transaction for a nominal fee...typically somewhere in the $15-30 range.
Old October 19, 2015, 09:05 AM   #3
JC57

Suggest you phone the prospective dealer and ask them about it. Assuming you are planning to buy within your own state, of course.

If you are driving out of state, the dealer you buy from would have to ship it to an in-state dealer for you to pick up and fill out the paperwork. If you are using that option, I would recommend talking to the dealer in your state who will be receiving it, to find out what their transfer fees and policies are.
Old October 19, 2015, 10:01 AM   #4
Glockstar .40

If you have your chl use that instead of other ID...it makes your backround check go faster
Old October 19, 2015, 12:47 PM   #5
BigMikey76

Waiting period info by state can be found here
http://smartgunlaws.org/category/sta...r-guns/page/3/
Old October 19, 2015, 04:34 PM   #6
osbornk

According to the link, you have to get a license to buy the gun first. If you have the license when you go, it should go quickly.

I bought my last gun 2 weeks ago here in Virginia and it took me about 10 minutes because it takes that long to fill out the paperwork. The owner completed the background check while his wife finished the final paperwork.
Old October 21, 2015, 12:06 PM   #7
DMacLeod

I lived in Ma and had a LTC for years.

You should be able to go in and be out within an hour or so with weapon in tow.