The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 5, 2017, 12:32 AM   #1
rcase1234

Anyone into finishing 80% Lowers

Hello All and long time no see after a long while off the forum! Well the gun bug came back with a vengeance and after many successful AR builds I am looking to try something new. Anyone here into finishing 80% receivers and can point me into the right direction to get started? Where should I be looking as far as jigs and quality lowers (7075 please) to machine? Now I have been doing some research and am looking at the 80% Arms jig for $230 that can be used with a simple handheld router and drill press. Any experience?? Sorry for all the questions I am new to this and am trying to get some good introductory info before diving in head first. Thanks in advance for any response
Old December 5, 2017, 03:54 PM   #2
WW2

I have done a couple

I strongly recommend using the router method as the drill press method is far more difficult to control. I recommend this one: https://www.300-blackoutupper.com/co...-arms-easy-jig if you are going to build an AR-15. The newest jig plus tools is here: https://www.300-blackoutupper.com/co...-ar-15-308-jig and will work for both AR15 and AR10 lowers!

I used the earlier version of this with a full size router and got decent results. However, I STRONGLY recommend using the small "Laminate Trimmer" type router. Make sure that the base is small and does not have a large gap between the bit and the side of the router. My full size router had a 5 inch diameter hole around the bit and was a bit difficult to use as a result.

Also, chips will get EVERYWHERE so you need to do this in an area that you can easily clean. Put up a tarp to surround your work area to contain the chips. I did this in my garage and still am finding chips on items in every corner of the garage! These chips are sharp and cling to shoes, and bare feet, and are easily tracked in to the house. The spousal unit was most displeased.

Personal Protective Equipment is a MUST! Face shield (or goggles at the least), hearing protection, a hat, and a shop vac to catch chips as they are generated!

Be warned, this is addictive! My safe is now too small for another AR in whatever caliber (I have 5.56 NATO, 7.62x39, 7.62 NATO (LR 308), and 22 LR).

Luke 22:36
Quote:
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old December 5, 2017, 04:26 PM   #3
Bill DeShivs

Using a high speed wood router on aluminum might work, but it's far from optimal.
Old December 5, 2017, 04:40 PM   #4

I bought the 80% Arms, Easy Jig, Gen 1 and finished 3-4 lowers.
I used a wood router and a drill press to drill the required holes. I can't see where using any other tools would have done a better job. The machining was very smooth.
They turned out great. Better than I expected.

I bought the 80% lowers from, 80%. I don't know if they are the best option, but I just wanted some project to play with and it was easy to just order everything from the same place. I already owned umpteen ARs and to be honest, I only ever used one of the receivers I machined. The rest are in the box it all came in.

Once you do one, you will see that there isn't much to it. It's very easy.
As was mentioned, this makes one hellava mess. I did mine in the basement and it took me a long time to get it all cleaned up. I had aluminum chips in my clothes. I stood on aluminum chips and tracked them around....................
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old December 5, 2017, 10:03 PM   #5
rcase1234

Thank you all for the replies! I am very excited to get started on this project. How did you guys finish the machines areas of the lower? Cerakote, paint, etc??
Old December 5, 2017, 10:45 PM   #6

I didnt do anything.
You can't see it.

But, any of those should work fine.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old December 6, 2017, 04:07 PM   #7
WW2

I did not finish mine, inside or out, just left them raw aluminum. I will probably paint them at some point but for now they work just fine without a finish.

Quote:
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old December 6, 2017, 04:32 PM   #8
johnwilliamson062

First I heard of using a woodworking router. Did you use a variable speed router or were you just plowing through aluminum at 23,000 RPM?
Seems a little crazy to me. I'd feel very comfortable using on many polymers though.

Please be aware of the risks of breathing aluminum and polymer dust and use proper PPE.
Old December 6, 2017, 04:38 PM   #9
johnwilliamson062

Some of the new 80% lowers get really nice reviews. Doing this with a router on a polymer should be stupid easy. Easier than mortising hinges in a door easy.

Mind blown.
Old December 7, 2017, 12:07 AM   #10
rcase1234

Thanks again everyone for the help! Working on getting tooling together and pricing things out (of course a horrible time for random purchases with the holidays around the corner), but will keep everyone posted on my results . So far, going with the 80% Arms Easy Jig Gen 2 and the cheap-o Porter-Cable router they recommend on their website. Super excited to really spark my interest in AR’s back up (Been into AK’s for about the last year and just got rid of it).
Old December 7, 2017, 07:32 AM   #11
Mobuck

Getting into those "ghost guns", huh?
Old December 7, 2017, 09:39 AM   #12
rcase1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck View Post
Getting into those "ghost guns", huh?
I do not know if this was meant negatively or not, but I have been into machining, welding, and firearms for a long time now and this has nothing to do with owning a “ghost gun”.

Last edited by rcase1234; December 7, 2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old December 7, 2017, 10:45 AM   #13
hdwhit

Unless you're just wanting to finish out an 80% lower for the experience or to be able to say you "built" it, then with decent finished lowers going for as little as $50, I would just buy some of them.
Old December 7, 2017, 08:26 PM   #14
Mobuck

"I do not know if this was meant negatively or not, "
neither negative nor positive
Old December 8, 2017, 07:19 PM   #15
WW2

No ghost guns in California. If you do an 80% lower you must get a serial number for it.

Quote:
Old December 9, 2017, 11:11 AM   #16
rickyrick

I considered it when it was a money saving proposition, when lowers were scarce, but now that lowers are as low as 29$-$40
I can see it as something fun to do.