The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 20, 2013, 11:43 PM   #1
jrothWA

Recommend a whitetail round for..

a post 64 M70 (first series - wide barrel channel) in 7mm Mag.

Most likely area of usage in the Zone 2 of Michigan, wide open fields and some moderate heavy brush, max range 200yds, minimum "white of their eyes"!

Originally bought for eastern Washington and Montana but that deal fell thru.

Rifle has a Pentax "Gameseeker" 3X9-40 with ranging abilities.

Thanks.
Old October 20, 2013, 11:52 PM   #2
BuckRub

Commercial- whatever your gun shoots best (tightest pattern). Reloading- Hornady SSTs
Old October 21, 2013, 01:05 AM   #3
allaroundhunter

Recommend a whitetail round for..

Any soft point or hunting ballistic tip that you and your gun will shoot well. Really, with that caliber and those close ranges.... It doesn't matter at all as long as you put the bullet in the kill zone.
Old October 21, 2013, 06:51 AM   #4
jmr40

Go to Walmart and buy whatever suits your fancy. I'd probably stay with something in the 139/140 gr weight range although any would work. Your rifle is suitable for anything in North America and at ranges or 600+ yards for most of them. When you start talking about larger game and at longer ranges then bullet choice starts to become important. Not for deer at 200 yards.
Old October 21, 2013, 06:52 AM   #5
The Big Game Hunter

I agree with the previous comments. Find a good commercial expanding bullet that shoots well in your rifle and stick with it. You don't need anything crazy if you're hunting only whitetail deer at those ranges and most of the bullets available these days will work well.
Old October 21, 2013, 08:15 PM   #6
GeauxTide

At the posted ranges, I'd stay away from anything less than 150 grains. The 7mm Rem is infamous for making a God awful mess with light bullets over 3000fps. I'd pick a 154 Hornady or 150 CoreLokt.
Old October 22, 2013, 01:24 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

At 200 yards, I'd be surprised if you couldn't buy 5 random boxes of 5 different brands, mix them all together and still get groups under 1/2 what's needed to kill a deer.
Old October 22, 2013, 04:01 PM   #8
BuckRub

Me guessing different commercial brands. Your gun may like 1 or 2 and may be 3-4" pattern with others.
Old October 23, 2013, 01:08 AM   #9
bacardisteve

Most any commercial soft point will work great. I will say if thete is possibilty of really close shots I would avoid any ballistic tips unless they are bonded as they tend to blow up at magnum velocities at short range.
Old October 28, 2013, 05:24 PM   #10
mwal

When I had my 7mm I hunted NW WI most shots were 50 yards or less. The 139 grn bullets caused massive tissue damage and meat loss. I would go with 150 grn or larger and avoid hitting the shoulder blade at all costs at short range. A nice double lung will fold quickly with the 7mm . Some of my early hunt I hit shoulder with 139 at 30 yards and it was like a hand grenade going off. Massive meat loss.

Mwal
Old October 28, 2013, 06:57 PM   #11
SPEMack618

My 7mm Mag doesn't notice the difference between Winchester Super-X soft points or Remington Cor-Lokts.
Old October 29, 2013, 05:47 PM   #12
SteelChickenShooter

Interested

I'm interested in this thread because I have often wondered about getting a 7mm Mag. I have a 30-30 and a 30-06 so I seem think my deer hunting is well covered. Is the 7mm mag really overkill or too much for deer? Or is it a better choice for large deer or longer distance deer? I'd appreciate learning a little more about the 7mm mag for deer from you guys that already know. I often see 7mm mag ammo on the shelves and that makes me wonder- perhaps I should have one of those as an option for hunting. I don't hunt out west, no pronghorn, no mule deer, no elk, no bear. Maybe with the 30-30 and 30-06 I just don't need one? Or maybe I do but just don't know it yet?
Old October 29, 2013, 06:42 PM   #13
NHSHOOTER

Steel chicken shooter, I bought a 7 mag 2 yrs ago to hunt open fields in NY state, big mistake, way to much gun for whitetails, shells are expensive and I didnt appreciate the recoil. I did shoot a doe thru the lungs at about 80 yds and it dropped in its tracks, probably would have done just as well with a 243 on that particular deer. Just my thoughts..you asked..
Old October 29, 2013, 08:03 PM   #14
Kreyzhorse

Any 150 grain hunting ammo will work fine. I use Winchester Ballistic Tips but good old Remington Core Lokts will work just as well.
Old October 30, 2013, 01:45 AM   #15
Sgt Pepper

175 gr is not needed for whitetail - save that for your elk hunts. 150 gr works fine. 139 gr Hornady works fine too. The 7mm Rem Mag round is devastating to internals no matter which size bullet you select. I do not think that I have seen a white tail NOT drop in its tracks after being hit with a 7 mag - it would have to be one really unfortunate shot. Soft point Winchester or Remington will result in success every time with those deer. Ammunition costs among the various calibers are negligible. The beauty of the 7mm Rem Mag is that you can hunt everything in North America and most things beyond with that rifle. It is truly a reach out and touch you kind of caliber for those that can execute a long distance shot.
Old October 30, 2013, 10:20 AM   #16
SPEMack618

I bought my 7mm Mag specifically for an elk hunt that never materialized. It was only impressed into deer hunting duty when I had to outfit both sisters and the former lady friend with deer rifles one season.
Old October 30, 2013, 11:15 AM   #17
jimbob86

Quote:
minimum "white of their eyes"!
If you do not use a contolled expansion bullet, avoid the lighter weights ..... 3K+ f/sec impact velocities with fragile bullets will make a mess of meat.

If you use one of the controlled expansion (Partiton/A-Frame, any of the bonded or solid copper/gilding metal bullets) bullets take care with the target angle - even a 170 grain Partition will go through a deer, lengthwise, which makes field dressing ..... um, "messy".
Old October 30, 2013, 06:43 PM   #18
Bullcamp82834

Hornady Superformance 139 grain GMX.

About the same cost as most standard factory loads but faster and with a better bullet.

Good for bigger stuff like elk too if that's your cup of tea.
Old October 30, 2013, 09:50 PM   #19
steveNChunter

I'd recommend a pretty tough heavy, controlled expansion bullet or else you're gonna make a mess and damage a good bit of meat, especially at close range. Unless you don't care about meat loss.

175 gr Nosler Partition maybe?

A 7mm Rem Mag is overkill for whitetail under 200 yards, period. And it won't put 'em down any faster than a .243 or anything else. A well placed shot means everything, and a bad shot is a bad shot no matter what caliber you use.

If you reload, use starting loads and you will be better off.

Or just buy a 7mm-08

Ok magnum lovers, go ahead and start ripping this post to shreds.
Old October 31, 2013, 04:16 AM   #20
NHSHOOTER

I have to agree with steveNChunter I had a 7 mag here in NH, switched to a 7-08 and my shoulder is much happier and the deer are just as dead..
Old October 31, 2013, 06:19 AM   #21
Todd1700

When I used my 7mm mag for deer hunting I always liked the Federal 160 grain Nosler partition. I probably had more DRT kills with that combo than any other rifle/bullet I ever used.
Old October 31, 2013, 07:03 AM   #22
Mobuck

I shot a 7 mag exclusively for several years (when I was younger and more resilient) using handloaded Hornady 139 BTSP. It was deadly on deer and coyote AND very destructive on the meat.
If I were picking over the counter ammo now, I'd go with the Remington Corelokt or Federal GameKing. I was in the local Wallie yesterday and those were the best stocked and lowest priced 7 mags on their shelf. Having used 140 grain Ballistic Tips in 7x57 and 7mm08, I'd say those(out of a 7mag) would definitely ruin a lot of meat. I'm not a fan of WW Power Points and would not recommend those except as a last resort.
Old October 31, 2013, 07:31 AM   #23
Jevyod

+1 on staying with a heavier bullet. Since the range will not be that far, it is not as though you need an ultra fast and flat shooting round. I have a 7mm mag, and a few years ago, I bought some Winchester Ballistic Silvertips. BIG MISTAKE. Oh it killed a deer alright. DRT. But, it ruined the whole neck. I usually shoot for the neck for a good clean kill. The exit pretty much took away the neck. I went and got some heavier ammo right away!
Old October 31, 2013, 12:27 PM   #24
mwal

I to bought my 7mag with hopes of heading west to hunt elk. I am over 50 now with health issues and hated the recoil and meat devastation caused by the 7mm. All of my MN and WI deer in the last 15 years have been less than 50 yards due to the terrain I hunt in. I sold the 7mm and bought 2 rifles I love to shoot at the range and are less destructive on the deer. I bought a 7mm-08 just love shooting it at the range and have started reloading and target shooting. It is very good long range gun with mild recoil and can handle anything but Alaskan Brown Bear with the proper bullet without the recoil. Plus I am shooting it regularly. Dreaded sighting in the 7mag. The other rifle Is a lever 30/30 with peep sights. at 50 yards or less it has been killing whitetails and black bears for over a century. Plus it is also fun to shoot and I look forward to range days. If you like the 7mag good for you is it overkill for whitetails maybe in my opinion. That is what is great about our country if you like magnums go for it if you don't that is also great just have a safe enjoyable hunt and take a kid with you.

Mwal
Old October 31, 2013, 04:53 PM   #25
SteelChickenShooter

Thanks

Thank you all for the replies. We seem to have covered two topics here and I want to apologize for butting into the OP. Some good advice regarding 7mm mag ammo has been suggested, and I , in turn, came to see I really do not need a 7mm mag at all. For my needs, the 7mm-08 is a better choice. Especially after reading accounts of how much power the mag has. I get the idea that I would ruin or spoil a deer instead of harvesting it within the area I hunt.