The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 27, 2017, 09:25 AM   #1
drmajor

Tulo 556 any good?

Looking for range ammo, 556. Is Tulo any good. See 1000 for $200, free shipping
Old November 27, 2017, 10:53 AM   #2
Chainsaw.

Its ok range ammo. Steel case, can be a little dirty to shoot, some complain of varying power, Ive not shot enough of it to notice. Indoor ranges may not allow it.
Old November 27, 2017, 12:45 PM   #3
DMK

No, it's not that good. There's a reason it's cheap. It has inconsistent accuracy and very dirty.

That said, sometimes I shoot cheap, junk ammo. I bought it for my AK, but sometimes I shoot it in my ARs.
Old November 27, 2017, 09:21 PM   #4
stolivar

WPA

I find tula to be dirty, not accurate, and very inconsistant. I find Wolf WPA to be better very accurate, and con sit at

Steve
Old November 27, 2017, 09:41 PM   #5
xandi

From my experiences Tula wouldn’t cycle my ar15
I believe someone did a 10k round on 4 ars and the Tula did the some to them
Old November 27, 2017, 10:16 PM   #6
DubC-Hicks

I've run thousands of rounds of Tula through my ARs. All cycle it fine. It's not the most accurate, and I've never run it through a chrono to check consistency, but it functions in mine.

The 10k round test that was mentioned was by Lucky Gunner. IIRC, they didn't clean the rifles until 2500 rounds. At that point they only wiped down the BCG. At 5k they did a detailed cleaning. And at 7500 they did another BCG wipe down. Unless you wait until 2500 rounds to clean your rifle, you may not have any problems with it.
Old November 28, 2017, 12:11 AM   #7
marine6680

Its dirty, inconsistent, weak and generally inaccurate.

Some rifles won't cycle it well, more so if they are using an H or heavier buffer, using a carbine weight buffer can help.

Also, it will accelerate the wear of the barrel, and reduce barrel life.

But even if it cuts barrel life in half, you have still saved enough money to buy a new barrel and another case of ammo by that point.

It works well for general plinking, and is even fine for competition use where the targets are inside 50yds. I have seen a few guys mention they use it for that.

Many indoor ranges will not let you use it... Combination of the steel case getting mixed in with the brass they collect for sale or recycling... And the steel bullet jacket posing a safety hazard to people and the range equipment.
Old November 28, 2017, 08:02 AM   #8
DMK

Quote:
Also, it will accelerate the wear of the barrel, and reduce barrel life.
Doesn't that depend on the barrel? I've never seen anyone wear out an AK or SKS barrel (that wasn't in sorry shape to start with).

If you have a chrome lined barrel in your AR, why will this ammo wear it out and not an SKS or AK?

As far as cycling issues, I think it is just due to the Tula 223 ammo being kind of weak. One of the theories I've heard is it that the factory is lazy and uses 5.45x39 charge. Who knows, could be true.
Old November 28, 2017, 09:31 AM   #9
Ibmikey

Be sure to take a solid cleaning rod for knocking out stuck cases, I have had to do this on several cases others have had lodged in the chamber. In my AR’s I shoot only brass cased ammo and then reload the cases for many more firings.
Old November 28, 2017, 10:54 AM   #10
bfoosh006

Most steel cased ammo will wear out various parts "faster" on an AR.

But not enough to really matter, you would need to fire 1,000's of rounds... the extractor, and the barrel will wear faster just slightly.

That said.. your rate of fire has as much bearing on wear as well.

As far as Tula ammo... no thanks. I have seen far to many reports on lots of forums, where Tula has caused Kabooms are very close to kabooms.

There are higher QC steel cased ammos out there.
Old November 28, 2017, 12:35 PM   #11
COSteve

In a word, no.

If you have to use steel cased ammo, Red Army Standard is a much better choice.
Old November 28, 2017, 08:49 PM   #12
bn12gg

Shoots just fine out of my Russian SKS. No accuracy issues plus the gun needs to be cleaned up anyway. Less than $10 per 40 rounds at Walmart.

.02. David.
Old November 28, 2017, 11:20 PM   #13
kenny53

I have shot it and was able to hit the state of Utah every time. I like Wolf better if I am shooting steel, Red Army is also good. At the indoor range in is only brass.
Old November 29, 2017, 12:24 AM   #14
joe sixgun

Tula cycles just fine in my AR. However I can't say its clean. Leaves my rifle very dirty.
Old November 30, 2017, 09:42 AM   #15
Bamashooter

Being a reloader Im not very fond of steel cased ammo and the only time I ever tried Tula it was in my Mini-14 and it wouldnt load the next round after firing but the accuracy was ok. I did have a box of MFS 62gr Zinc plated I think and my brother shot it in his AR without issue and accuracy wasnt bad.

There is plenty of brass cased ammo out there thats not much more expensive than the steel case stuff and you get free brass if you reload. Ive seen American Eagle for $5/20rds that can shoot moa or close to it. I buy and stockpile that whenever I can find it just to keep a good supply on hand.
Old November 30, 2017, 05:35 PM   #16
brasscollector

A friend and I were at the range one saturday morning a month or two ago. He had 2 or three boxes of steel tula, I believe it was the 62gr zinc coated stuff. He had already gone through a box of tula the previous week and had zeroed his scope to it. He was living in cheap ammo heaven, talking about the accuracy (which I admit was great for low-end ammo). Finished off the first box and started going through the second, no more groups. Tried some of my ammo, groups. I told him it's not the barrel or scope. He said, "it's the same ammo as the last box." I told him check the lot #, different lot. He hasn't shot Tula since.