The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 21, 2018, 09:57 PM   #26
ice monkey

Well, is it in yet lol? I’m about to order the very same rifle myself and would love to hear what your thoughts are..
Old July 22, 2018, 01:23 AM   #27
DPris
Member Emeritus

Nope.
Stock, trigger, scope all here, gun is not.
Waiting for it to come in so we can determine ring height.

Remington moves very slowly.
Denis
Old July 22, 2018, 11:14 AM   #28
ice monkey

Man, that’s killer!

Quote:
Goal is a short & handy quality package to engage from 50-400 yards, if needed.
The .308 is fairly forgiving of a shorter barrel.
Nice. Me too. But 400 is a little close.

I’ve been thinking about this rife for a little while with an eye to it being the “perfect” trunk gun for me out here in KS where things can open up to insane distances. When I was in the city 24/7, I had a shotgun in the trunk and all was good. Then when I started to regular north-central KS, I bought a nice Marlin 336 30-30 lever for the trunk. Love that rifle with its little 16” barrel as well. But 200 yards (max range of my lever), even defensively, can be short out here if someone has you pinned down. There’s not much to hide behind! So I got to thinking about something that’ll reach out farther.

At first, my thinking was all about the lightweights. Kimber Adirondack, Barrett Fieldcraft. Fantastic rifles that are great if you got to hoof it, but those pencil barrels are pretty thin! I could see some stringing after the third shot if not the second. Great rifles for stalking and making the kill when hunting, but not much good for defensive purposes.

Then I saw this rifle. A bull barreled 16.5” .308 - I figured it was a nice little platform! One that might just be my perfect trunk gun that could also double for hunting and some “long range” target shooting.

Ok, long range is subjective, but being the .308 out of that barrel will stay supersonic out to 850 yards with a light bullet (150gr), I figure it’s a 800 yard gun. That’s pretty darn far! Moreover, the harmonics on a barrel that short should lend itself to being able to actually hit things out that far!

It’ll be a handy rifle for sure! I’ve handled rifles that are “top heavy” before, they balance great for me. It takes em a while to swing, but once in action, they swing (track) great... but only if they aren’t too heavy! And that’s my task. If it’s going to go out hunting too, it’s got to stay relatively light.

I knew that the rifle might need some aftermarket stuff, and that’s ok, but now it’ll be all about the weight for me. They say it’s a 7.5lb rifle. Which is odd because the exact same rifle with a 20” barrel they (Remington) say is 7.5lbs too lol!

I figure if I can get a lightweight stock, say 2lb, then I’ve shaved off a pound being the Hogue is a 3lb stock. So if I can keep the muzzle guard/scope/rings under two lbs, I should be able to keep it at 8.5lbs all in. That’d be pretty sweet and could possibly even make it an ok swinging gun!

The only thing I can’t resolve in my mind is the bottom metal. Do I want a mag, or don’t I? That and mscope magnification? Do I need 20 times magnification out at 800max? Would be nice lol... but do I need it lol?

Ok... well that’s my rambling lol! What do you think? What stock model and scope model did you get? Weights?

Last edited by ice monkey; July 22, 2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old July 22, 2018, 12:47 PM   #29
DPris
Member Emeritus

This fiberglas McMillan is 2 pounds 2 ounces.
Have not weighed the Trijicon scope, I'll be going steel on the rings.

I do most emphatically NOT want a detach magazine.
They get in the way & they can get lost.
I would not be buying several spares to carry for quick reloads.
Denis
Old July 22, 2018, 12:56 PM   #30
ice monkey

Your 2.125lb stock sounds perfect.

Yeah, I’m not too sure about the mags either. What magnification did you get on your scope?
Old July 22, 2018, 01:37 PM   #31
DPris
Member Emeritus

Green mil-dot 3-9x40.
Denis
Old August 19, 2018, 09:49 AM   #32
ice monkey

Did you get it Denis? Or did the project fall on its face?
Old August 19, 2018, 12:30 PM   #33
DPris
Member Emeritus

After a delay caused by an unworkable first rifle sent, the second one came in.
It was, after some minor work, do-able.

Gunsmith had to remove bluing salts left inside the bolt, chase threads inside the bolt & clean 'em up, and finish the scope mount threads in the receiver. Factory didn't tap those deep enough.

Action now fully bedded in the McMillan stock.
The rear triggerplate tang had to be shaved slightly to get it to sit lower in the inletting there, not a major problem.
Timney trigger now in place, 3-pound pull, tremendously fine break.

Warne Maxima QD steel rings in Warne steel two-piece bases.

Trijicon AccuPoint 3-9x40, green dot, tritium/fiber-optic, mil-dot.
Butler Creek flip-up caps, for now.

Toe of Pachmayr Decelerator pad that came on the McMillan was rounded off by my gunsmith, those "sharp" tips kinda dig into my shoulder, even on soft rubber.

Staying with the factory bolt for now, sometime next year I'll replace it.

Shot it Friday.
At 100 yards with five loads & four different bullet weights, it seemed to prefer the lighter bullets, which surprised me with that 1/10 twist.

Not exactly a tack-driver, but I did manage to pull off one 3-shot group under an inch.
Probably averages about 1.5 inches in testing so far.

I'd expect that to tighten up fractionally with barrel break-in and a good handload.

It IS notably front heavy, but the short length kinda makes up for that in handling the gun, and I wanted something handy for in & out of the truck, ATV, and so on.

I'm liking it.
Denis
Old August 19, 2018, 01:17 PM   #34
ice monkey

Great update! Thank you!

Please update more/post picks. I still intend to get one, but am having a horrible time finding a place to shoot after my move. My first paycheck in September is earmarked.
Old August 19, 2018, 01:50 PM   #35
DPris
Member Emeritus

The SPS isn't Remington's top-end 700, but I didn't care about the matte finish & lack of polish.
Actually did not want those. I want something I don't have to baby.
And I really wanted short.

The SPS is a great platform to start with, on a semi-custom build.
Don't expect a drop-in fit with the McMillan if you go that route.
Some actions will, some won't.

Mine was close, but even though the stock IS pillar-bedded, I wanted an absolute tight match-up between stock & action.

The Hogue stock that comes on it is widely reported to be too flimsy up front, if you want to use a bipod or front bag rest it can flex into the otherwise free-floated barrel.
When I took the gun out of the box that's the first thing I looked at.
It's OK for entry level, but the McMillan's in a different universe.

And the Timney's a gotta-have.

I think the gun's worth putting money into.
Definitely in a different class now than when it left the factory.

I'll try for a photo, but it'll have to be emailed somewhere.
Denis
Old August 19, 2018, 02:09 PM   #36
ice monkey

Thanks Denis.

The stock is going to be the first thing to go for me as well - for two reasons. The first, as you described, it’s flimsy. But second, because it’ll shave off a pound. That’s important to me.

I have to admit that I’m surprised you’re barrel likes the lighter rounds and that you’re getting 1.5 moa. It’ll be interesting to see how that changes - if it changes.
Old August 19, 2018, 02:23 PM   #37
DPris
Member Emeritus

I started out heavy & worked down to 130, and I'd expected the heavier stuff to do better in that twist.

May have been partly break-in & partly just those two particular heavier loads.

Weight reduction in the gun's nice, it's not light at 8.5 pounds in the end-configuration mine now has.

Still undecided on a sling.
Prefer simple, like leather.
Denis
Old August 20, 2018, 01:44 PM   #38
DPris
Member Emeritus

PM & gimme an email address for the photo, I've got an outtake that isn't the best, but shows the build.
I'll never understand how to post a picture here.
Denis
Old August 20, 2018, 05:12 PM   #39
MarkCO

While I have not shot that specific rifle, I do have a 10" and a 16" .308 for my Encore and my .308 pattern AR is a 16". 140s at 2800 fps is my standard load. No worries out to about 750 with that. Using TAC powder, muzzle blast and flash are not a big deal and accuracy is pretty darn good.
Old August 20, 2018, 11:39 PM   #40
DPris
Member Emeritus

IM,
You're welcome to post that image here, if anybody else'd be interested in seeing the rifle.
Denis
Old August 21, 2018, 06:43 AM   #41
zeke

we're interested
Old August 21, 2018, 11:16 AM   #42
DPris
Member Emeritus

Emailed it to Ice Monkey yesterday, he hopefully knows how to post it here. I don't.
Denis
Old August 21, 2018, 11:55 AM   #43
Dufus

With Hogue, don't go with the pillar bed, as those are the flimsy ones.

I put a Hogue full bed block on my grandson's rifle and a bipod. It works.
Old August 21, 2018, 04:32 PM   #44
ice monkey

I’ll try and post it later tonight, or tomorrow when I’m on my PC. I can’t do it on my iPad.
Old September 18, 2018, 08:27 PM   #45
chris_k

Did you get your rifle in? Curious on how you like it? I just got one of these on a trade, it's new, never fired.

I've been eyeing them since they came out.

I've modded mine before I've even fired it (new baby due any day now, so not even sure when that will be). Magpul hunter stock, magpul magazine well, aac blackout brake. I'm waiting on a Primary Arms 4-14x ffp acss hud scope to come in to finish the project. Will be suppressing mine 95-100% of the time with a 762sdn6.

I saw some videos that the Hogue stock that it comes with is a must to replace, which is why I'm switching it to the Magpul stock, which has pretty good reviews.
Old September 19, 2018, 01:57 AM   #46
DPris
Member Emeritus

See post 33 above on the 700SPS Tactical.

I've worked with a Primary Arms 4-14x44 Mil-Dot Illuminated scope on a 783 & a PCR.
Not bad at all.
Denis
Old September 19, 2018, 07:25 AM   #47
Mobuck

"Engaging" @ 50-400 yards??
"Pinned down" by "something" beyond 400 yards?

If you encounter a shooter who can "pin you down" beyond 400 yards, most likely that shooter is going to have hit you with the first shot.
Old September 19, 2018, 11:50 AM   #48
DPris
Member Emeritus

I wanted 50-400 capability on my gun as a gp rifle, not necessarily a combat rifle.

The pinned down comment by IM may be perfectly valid in his context.

I do recall (different world, but the principle applies) more than one occasion behind the badge when we were all scrunching down behind cover with shotguns while the guy inside the house was loading his hunting rifle.

I realize he's not referring to an LE situation, but I can understand what he's saying.
Even the playing field, with the choice of tool.
Denis