The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 14, 2018, 09:23 AM   #1
M1Rifle30-06

Glock Gen 5 Beveling: Big Deal?

Yesterday I purchased a G19 Gen 5. The display model I looked at had the beveled frame matching the slide, and after briefly inspecting the stock model I was to purchase, I falsely believed it had the beveled frame as well. When I got home with it I realized that was not the case.

I must've gotten one of the earlier Gen 5s. My question is: is this something that should bother me? Should I sell it unfired to go get a beveled one? And, more importantly, have there been any changes to the Gen 5 since the early models that fix any potential reliability issues?

I won't be able to shoot the pistol until next week. A bit frustrated with myself for not double checking before leaving the store with it, but on the other hand, I realize letting the lack of beveling spoil the joy of a new purchase may be kind of silly.

Thoughts?
Old September 14, 2018, 10:16 AM   #2
TunnelRat

Any major changes? Not that I know of. It's more of a cosmetic annoyance than anything else. I have one with the frame beveled and one without. They both have functioned equally with 2000 rds through each. In fact the one with the non-beveled frame had a better trigger and I ended up polishing the connector on the one with the beveled frame. There you go, let that slip into your head and make you feel better.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 14, 2018, 10:53 AM   #3
mete

The Glocks as I understand have a diffusion coating giving the wear resistance and corrosion resistance. If you grind off the coating you will lose that on the corners. Handguns should never have sharp corners . There must be bean counting gremlins in Austria too .
Old September 14, 2018, 11:03 AM   #4
JDBerg

Sounds like you got an early S/N Gen5. As metioned earlier its a cosmetic issue on a gun that was never cosmetic to begin with. Otherwise I think Glock did a really good job with the Gen5’s, I’m very happy with my 19x!
Old September 14, 2018, 01:04 PM   #5
Model12Win

Well let's see... there are something like 10 MILLION Glock's automatics in police and military service about the globe... none of them have beveled frames.

I think you'll be okay. IMHO it's just a marketing thing to add more changes to the Gen 5s. It is not a truly necessary feature by any stretch. Keep your Glock and shoot the hell out of it!!!
Old September 14, 2018, 01:09 PM   #6
TunnelRat

Really it just makes the front blend slightly better. Looks a bit odd when the frame isn't beveled and the slide is. Course you have to be starting at the muzzle from the side to notice.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old September 14, 2018, 01:29 PM   #7
M1Rifle30-06

I listed it for private sale in a fit of OCD but maybe I should just keep it and shoot it.
Old September 14, 2018, 02:08 PM   #8
COSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
Really it just makes the front blend slightly better. Looks a bit odd when the frame isn't beveled and the slide is. Course you have to be starting at the muzzle from the side to notice.
If you're starting at the muzzle of a Glock that pointed at you, the very last thing you'll consider is if the frame is beveled or not!!!!
Old September 14, 2018, 04:43 PM   #9
M1Rifle30-06

Quote:
The Glocks as I understand have a diffusion coating giving the wear resistance and corrosion resistance. If you grind off the coating you will lose that on the corners. Handguns should never have sharp corners . There must be bean counting gremlins in Austria too .
Interesting. Are you saying that the nonbeveled frame on my Gen 5 may wear and become more vulnerable to damage?
Old September 14, 2018, 05:07 PM   #10
TunnelRat

He's talking about the slide coating (his response makes me think he doesn't realize the beveling is done at the factory). The coating on the slide has nothing to do with the frame and on your example that tiny bit of frame exposed is not going to get any more wear from the slide as the slide reciprocates rearward, not to mention the role of the slide rails.

The only part of the frame more exposed is the little bit at the top of the frame up front right where the frame meets the beveled slide (and it's not much exposure). In terms of frame wear from a holster, in a leather holster the front of the frame is what is going to open up the holster so that little bit of material isn't going to get touched. Most kydex holsters are shaped to accommodate Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glocks as well and in that case there won't be additional wear as your firearm uses the same frame shape as those (basically you have an air gap in the holster at the beveling in front that doesn't matter as that area doesn't provide retention). Given that your model is also how the Gen 5s were for a number of months, except the 19X, my guess is even the kydex holsters specifically for Gen 5 Glocks will also not take into account the additional beveling of the frame, though if you're very worried about it you could ask the manufacturer of that holster. The only change I've seen that matters for the Gen 5 Glocks is if you use a holster that fits very snugly around the slide stops, the Gen 5s having an ambidextrous release can be an issue if the holster goes all the way up both sides of the frame. And that won't change based on the presence or lack of frame beveling.

You can obsess over this if you want. You could call the store asking if you can do an exchange, but that's iffy as what you now own is technically a used gun in that it's been in your possession and they can't fully answer for its use. Nothing I have read, watched, or seen on my personal example indicates that the lack of beveling of the frame is an issue, and this is a pistol I've used regularly. I honestly think it's a non-issue, other than a cosmetic annoyance. You can certainly sell it or trade it to get one that does have the frame beveling, but my first-hand experience tells me you're not getting anything in return other than likely losing money. My advice would be to shoot it, and stop staring at the front of it. As someone who is mildly OCD myself if you can't do that fair enough, just realize it's not an actual issue.

Last edited by TunnelRat; September 14, 2018 at 06:41 PM.
Old September 15, 2018, 09:53 PM   #11
M1Rifle30-06

I suppose what bothers me about it is that I waited a year since the Gen 5 came out to give an opportunity for any potential bugs to be worked out, but here I ended up getting an early one anyway.

I haven't really heard of widespread reliability issues with the early release Gen 5s like what happened with the Gen 4s though. I've seen some instances of the trigger bar's plating flaking off and making for a dead trigger, but that's not really a design defect and has been encountered in prior generations as well.
Old September 15, 2018, 10:29 PM   #12
TunnelRat

Like I said, I've had no issues with either of mine and it's not like I'm not shooting them. The newer one had some scratches on the connector from factory, but in terms of function they've been solid. The finish on the slide stop does seem to wear quickly, but I think that's a side effect of them being more exposed from the frame and rubbing against my kydex holster more. Some people of course don't like the cutout.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 16, 2018, 10:51 AM   #13
M1Rifle30-06

Quote:
Like I said, I've had no issues with either of mine and it's not like I'm not shooting them. The newer one had some scratches on the connector from factory, but in terms of function they've been solid. The finish on the slide stop does seem to wear quickly, but I think that's a side effect of them being more exposed from the frame and rubbing against my kydex holster more. Some people of course don't like the cutout.
I suppose I have nothing to worry about, then. My shipment of ammo comes in tomorrow and I will shoot it as soon as I get the chance. The slide stop finish wearing doesn't bother me. My Gen 4 19's slide stop's finish is just about completely worn off from carrying.
Old September 16, 2018, 11:11 AM   #14
T. O'Heir

"...sell it unfired to go get a beveled one..." That'd be like selling a vehicle because you don't like the angle of the edges on the bumper.
"...technically a used gun..." No technicalities about it. It becomes used the instant it goes out the door of the shop. It'll be worth whatever that shop get as the wholesale price.
Old September 18, 2018, 11:29 PM   #15
Martowski

Good call, keep your G19. Beveling means nothing. Mine is not, turns out, and I could care less... it's like half a credit card thickness difference with the slide and doesn't amount to anything.
Old September 19, 2018, 10:23 AM   #16
Fishbed77

Quote:
I suppose what bothers me about it is that I waited a year since the Gen 5 came out to give an opportunity for any potential bugs to be worked out, but here I ended up getting an early one anyway.
Just chalk it up to experience - always verify what you are buying if there are small details that matter to you.

Otherwise, go out and shoot your new pistol and enjoy it. If you really care about that bevel after owning the gun a while, it won't be that difficult to add it to the frame yourself. But I bet in the long run, it won't even bother you.

This reminds me of an experience a few years ago when I was out buying a new Beretta A300 shotgun (as a Christmas gift for my father). After telling the gun store clerk what I wanted, he brought out a box from the back, popped it open, and started recording the serial number for the paperwork.

I asked to look at the gun before he got too far and noticed that the "new" gun had some big ugly engraving on the opposite side for some kind of duck banquet. It was some sort of prize gun that had been returned (maybe the winner couldn't pass the FFL) that had been re-boxed as a new gun. Glad I checked before I paid and walked out the store.
Old September 19, 2018, 07:19 PM   #17
M1Rifle30-06

Quote:
Otherwise, go out and shoot your new pistol and enjoy it. If you really care about that bevel after owning the gun a while, it won't be that difficult to add it to the frame yourself. But I bet in the long run, it won't even bother you.
I won't get to shoot it till Friday, but I already don't care about the lack of beveling. What I'm not sure about is the Gen 5's reliability and long term durability, but I intend to find out by putting a few thousand rounds through this one.
Old September 19, 2018, 10:24 PM   #18
Martowski

I'm sure it will be fine. Truth is, as much as we all hand wring and watch all the YouTube reviews to figure out which one is best, pretty much all of these polymer pistols these days will take 99% of what most of us could throw at them. There's much less difference between all of them when it's said and done than the gun magazines and YouTubers would lead us to believe.
Old September 20, 2018, 12:50 PM   #19
hogwiley

I dont like the look of the beveled slide. It looks odd considering the frame hasnt changed and has the same sharp edges, so id be happy to get one without it. Who knows, it might even add to its resale value since its rare and other people probably dont like the odd look of the bevel.
Old September 20, 2018, 01:36 PM   #20
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwiley View Post
I dont like the look of the beveled slide. It looks odd considering the frame hasnt changed and has the same sharp edges, so id be happy to get one without it. Who knows, it might even add to its resale value since its rare and other people probably dont like the odd look of the bevel.
Well the slide is beveled on all of the Gen 5s. The question is whether or not the frame is also beveled and that depends on when it was produced.

Old September 21, 2018, 10:23 PM   #21
hogwiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
Well the slide is beveled on all of the Gen 5s. The question is whether or not the frame is also beveled and that depends on when it was produced.

Oh. I assumed the op was talking about the slide. He said frame but my brain read slide since i remember gun reviews complaining about the g17 gen 5 not having a beveled frame to match the slide and thinking yeah that looks ugly. I didnt realize glock changed it on later guns. Good for them.