The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 27, 2015, 07:00 AM   #51
AK103K

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how does the rifling look?
Looks OK to me.

For some reason, it does seem to take a bit longer to clean than my other Glocks.
Old September 27, 2015, 07:22 AM   #52
CDW4ME

Great thread and follow up.
I install a NY trigger because I prefer the increased resistance.
The NY trigger might be more resistant to failure than the standard spring.
Old September 27, 2015, 08:23 AM   #53
lee n. field

Quote:
The only thing I see wearing in the frame, are the rails, which have worn to a very sharp edge, and will slice you if youre not careful,
Do these ever wear to the point of failure?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 27, 2015, 08:40 AM   #54
AK103K

I dont think they will wear out any time soon. I just compared them to another 17, and by looking at them, they really look no different, other than the edges on the one above, are sharper, and the metal more polished looking.

Some of those edges may just be part of the manufacturing process, and the way the part was stamped too, and how they end up polished/sharpened over time. The one I just compared it to, also has an "edge" on one of its rails, just not yet as sharp.
Old September 27, 2015, 06:19 PM   #55
bamaranger

tough

Thanks for the pics and the effort at recording your round count/data.

Dang things (glocks) are sure enough tough. Interesting that the cosmetic/external does not show more wear than I see.

Here's to good maint too.
Old September 27, 2015, 06:52 PM   #56
AK103K

The only real obvious wear is the smiley on the barrel, and the usual wear you see on the slide stop.

The side really shows no wear, except at the front edges/corners of the slide, which do show some minor wear from contact going into holsters.

I have freshened up the stippling a couple of times, as its become worn from handling, but other than that, and a couple of spots on the trigger guard, where the holster locks, the frame shows virtually no wear. Any blemishes it might get, are usually on the exposed part of the grip in riding around in its El Paso "Tanker" holster, and the restippling normally cleans them up.

While I did carry this gun for a little while early on, it soon became my range, and daily dry fire gun (its been dry fired a lot more than its been shot). It does get handled pretty much daily.

As far as maintenance goes, its just part of the ritual. I never understood how people dont routinely clean and maintain their guns.
Old September 28, 2015, 03:33 PM   #57
CajunBass

I'm not a big Glock fan, but that's only because I'm an old Smith & Wesson revolver fan. I've never really had much of an opinion about Glocks one way or the other to tell you truth, but I do love to rag on them.

My wife however seems to like them for some reason. She doesn't carry one, but has a Glock 17 police trade-in we got cheap, and she loves to shoot it at the range. A week or so ago we got to the range, and she didn't want to shoot, so I ended up at the line, out of 38 ammo, but with a Glock and a box of ammo that needed to be gotten rid of (can't haul that stuff home you know). So for the first time I more or less seriously shot a Glock.

I was pretty impressed. It hit where I expected it to, it had very soft recoil. I already knew it was reliable. There was a fellow at the range who swept up the brass and dumped it in my range bag. (I'm lazy and hate to chase brass.)

I'm not likely to trade in a Model 15 or 19 for one anytime soon, but I guess this one she's got can stay...but she's got to take care of it.

And let me borrow it once in a while...just to make sure it's safe for her to shoot you understand.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old September 28, 2015, 05:24 PM   #58
stephen426

Quote:
Gun has been cleaned and lubed after every outing, and the slide stripped and cleaned a couple of times a year. I usually blast the extractor and firing pin channel with Gun Scrubber once a month or so, and the frame a couple of three times a year.
A cleaned and lubed gun is a happy gun (and a reliable gun)! Thanks for the info!
Old October 1, 2015, 07:35 PM   #59
Rembrandt

Thanks for the information, rarely do we see the results of that high usage.

I've often wondered why people are so resistant to put the money into a better quality gun, saying they would rather put the money toward more ammo. As in your example, (spending roughly $8,000-to-$9,000 in ammo), why would you do it with a budget priced firearm? Wouldn't the 70,000 rounds have been more enjoyable with a nicer gun?
Old October 1, 2015, 08:23 PM   #60
Adamantium

Quote:
I've often wondered why people are so resistant to put the money into a better quality gun, saying they would rather put the money toward more ammo. As in your example, (spending roughly $8,000-to-$9,000 in ammo), why would you do it with a budget priced firearm? Wouldn't the 70,000 rounds have been more enjoyable with a nicer gun?
What do you find more enjoyable, looking at your gun or becoming a better shooter?
Old October 1, 2015, 08:49 PM   #61
AK103K

Quote:
... why would you do it with a budget priced firearm?
I practice the most with what I carry. Glocks happen to be what I carry these days.

Quote:
Wouldn't the 70,000 rounds have been more enjoyable with a nicer gun?
As far as "enjoyable", any of them are enjoyable, as long as they work.

I guess "nice" is in the eye of the beholder. Ive had more expensive guns, not work nearly as well, or as long. I also no longer have any of them.

Glocks, while nothing fancy, are just plain old work horses. Accurate, and boringly reliable. I can live with that.
Old October 1, 2015, 08:49 PM   #62
idek

deleted
Old October 1, 2015, 08:55 PM   #63
Adamantium

Quote:
I don't think that was his point. I believe the point is that if you're going to shoot a lot, it's makes sense to pay up for a reliable gun you can count on rather than skimping to save $100 or so.
Obviously that wasn't the case though. I've got a gun with 40k through it myself. From what I have seen, the people who beg the question about spending a little more money for an extra degree of something, are on the outside looking it. The reality is the price of the gun isn't directly tied to the enjoyment that the shooter gets from the gun. For longevity, the proof is in the pudding.
Old October 1, 2015, 10:00 PM   #64
idek

Yes, after posting, I realized I had misread, which is why i deleted my post almost immediately...

I had initially interpreted it as saying that it's worth paying a little more for a Glock rather than Taurus or some other gun with a hit-and-miss reputation. In that case, I agreed.

Then I realized it implied that the Glock was the "cheap" gun... and that time would have been better spent with a more expensive gun... I don't necessarily agree with that.
Old October 1, 2015, 10:22 PM   #65
5RWill

Still looks like a hideous glock

Awesome that you kept a round count and have gotten that high.
Old October 2, 2015, 02:54 PM   #66
JN01

Quote:
While I did carry this gun for a little while early on, it soon became my range, and daily dry fire gun (its been dry fired a lot more than its been shot). It does get handled pretty much daily.
Do you use snap caps?
Old October 2, 2015, 03:08 PM   #67
AK103K

Quote:
Do you use snap caps?
Yup, always.

Main reason is, they are an added safety measure, as you cant have a live round in the gun, if you have intentionally and deliberately placed a snap cap there.

While I use them in pretty much every gun while dry firing, I am aware of some of the Glock breech face issues, and the supposed cause. If it really is an issue, Im at least addressing or allowing for it. Not that I have seen the slightest sign of it happening with any of my Glocks.
Old July 5, 2016, 07:22 PM   #68
AK103K

Just another update....

As of last weekend, 103,000 +/- rounds now. Still pretty boring, as nothing has happened since the trigger spring broke.

Some new pics anyway, and really not any noticeable differences since the first batch.

Old July 5, 2016, 07:24 PM   #69
AK103K

Old July 5, 2016, 07:37 PM   #70
TunnelRat

Any idea on the year made?

And even if you hate Glocks I think you'd have to admit that's pretty impressive.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 5, 2016, 07:55 PM   #71
AK103K

Im thinking around '08 or '09, or at least thats when I got it new, sometime in '09.
Old July 5, 2016, 08:05 PM   #72
TunnelRat

http://www.glocktalk.com/threads/glo...oject.1287557/

You can look it up there if you ever wanted.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 5, 2016, 10:04 PM   #73
Cyanide971

Outstanding job AK!
Old July 6, 2016, 12:14 AM   #74
cslinger

Love em.
Hate em
Doesn't matter if you are even passably acquainted with modern arms you should know a passably maintained Glock 9mm will run for damn ever.

They are ugly
Uncomfortable
Have no "soull" so to speak
Are far from "perfection"

But god damn if they don't generally run reliably and for damn ever. Combine that with the price and the fact you can pretty much buy parts at Pep Boys and it's hard to deny the value proposition.

I hate the fact that the Glock 19 is probably the best all around firearm you can buy. Yes......I have a G19........yes I feel dirty.
Old July 6, 2016, 12:23 PM   #75
HistoryJunky

AK103K you have inspired me to start keeping track of my round count on my CZ-85B just to wonder. I won't get nearly as high as you with the count, but it will be a fun exercise nonetheless.
Closed Thread