The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 6, 2018, 08:18 AM   #26
rox

Don't tumble live rounds in one of these...

If you're going to tumble live rounds, don't use one of these:

Midway Tumbler Fire

Tumbler Recall

"Midway Arms has received 13 reports of motors overheating and catching fire. "

These would not be the only instance of tumblers catching fire.

Old December 6, 2018, 11:56 AM   #27
Unclenick
Staff

Sounds like good advice. Since tens of thousands were sold between '92 and '97, it seems reasonable to expect a few will have never been returned.

Roamin Wade,

Speed depends on the media and the type of tumbler (vibratory or rotary). IME, rotary tumblers and walnut media make for the slowest combination. A vibratory tumbler that is not overloaded and using Lyman's GREEN corncob and polish media is the fastest, and when it is new, an hour probably will take care of business. That gets longer as time goes by. Note, though, that you will get a more mirror polish using their slower RED media, which is the aforementioned walnut and rouge and is slower acting.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 6, 2018, 05:30 PM   #28
Roamin_Wade

Oh! 10-4 on that USSR. good info...
Old December 6, 2018, 05:41 PM   #29
lordvader

NEGATIVE. You never want to tumble loaded ammunition. If it is only a few rounds get some cotton brass cleaner, and clean the rust off.
Old December 6, 2018, 05:43 PM   #30
Unclenick
Staff

Wade,

The Nu-Finish leaves a protective layer to help keep the brass shiny. But if you want more polishing action, mix it into a slurry with diatomaceous earth powder and let the media tumble with it long enough to mix it in. Diatomaceous earth is the same abrasive used in toothpaste and as a filler in some foods. You can buy 5 lb bags of it at the garden store as an insect killer, though it is not toxic (the stuff at the garden store is actually food grade; it kills bugs mechanically by scraping off the waxy coating on their exoskeletons so they dehydrate and mummify on the go—and then stop going, of course).

Lordvader,

Read the rest of the thread. This really is tantamount to an old wive's tale unless you put the ammo in a rotary tumbler so big it can fall far enough for a pointed bullet nose to set off a primer. No tester has been able to degrade powder yet by tumbling in a handloader's brass cleaning tumbler, not even after over a week and a half of constant running.
Old December 6, 2018, 06:52 PM   #31
Rangerrich99

Not that I'm any kind of expert, and I certainly didn't spend much time researching the subject, but I remember when I first started reloading about 6 years ago, and someone asked a similar question here or on the other board I frequent, and decided that judicious tumbling couldn't hurt loaded ammo.

Since then, I've run at least 20,000 rounds, both pistol and rifle, through my vibratory tumbler, with no issues, except that I found that if I overloaded the tumbler with too much loaded ammo, the rounds didn't want to 'cycle' properly. I've been using primarily Lyman's walnut media w/ rouge for about 45 minutes per batch to get my cartridges nice and shiny.

I'm thinking Unclenick is correct, and the concern of tumbling live ammo is just a myth.
Old December 7, 2018, 09:40 AM   #32
Unclenick
Staff

The only thing that makes it more than a simple myth is the industry people saying not to do it. But as explained previously, if they say it's OK, all they gain is liability should something unexpected go wrong. There's no upside for them, so, of course, they'll say no to it or most any other procedure that's not in the manuals as a standard reloading step.
Old December 7, 2018, 10:12 AM   #33
USSR

While I'm in agreement that it's not going to hurt anything, it's not going to work well at all due to the weight of loaded shells causing them to bump along the bottom of a vibratory tumbler, and not move around through out the media like cases alone do. Very inefficient.

Don
Old December 7, 2018, 11:00 AM   #34
hagar

I'm going against the grain, I do tumble loaded ammo, and I have been doing it for years and years with no ill effects. I won't leave them in for 10 hours, but about an hour or so with car polish is all it takes.

Tumblers do not vigorously shake things up and down, mine just has a rolling action.

But do not leave ammo in your car for an extended period, I had some 22/250 ammo loaded with Accurate 2460 that after 2 years of bouncing all over AZ's dirt roads started showing serious pressure signs. When I chronoed the load it was shooting 200 feet/sec faster than it should have.
Old December 7, 2018, 12:15 PM   #35
rox

My brass goes into the tumbler for de-lubing with a perfect, clean flat cut case mouth. They come out with the mouth peppered with tiny dings from case collisions. It isn't a problem, but I wouldn't want my delicate, soft copper meplats to experience the same thing.
Old December 7, 2018, 07:38 PM   #36
Rangerrich99

Quote:
Originally Posted by USSR View Post
it's not going to work well at all due to the weight of loaded shells causing them to bump along the bottom of a vibratory tumbler, and not move around through out the media like cases alone do. Very inefficient.

Don
[
Ah, this turns out not to be the case. I can positively attest to the fact that loaded .223 rem, .30-06, .44 mag/spl, 45 acp, 40 S&W, .357 mag, .38 spl, and 9mm roll from the bottom of the tumbler to the top and back down, just like unloaded brass, just a bit slower. At least so far after having done it to about 20,000 rds. They do not just sit on the bottom and vibrate, unless you overload your tumbler with cartridges.

Also, there's no issue with pitting, dings, nicks, etc. from tumbling loaded cartridges. At least up one hour. After that I can't say.

Of course, maybe I have the one magic Cabela's vibratory tumbler in the world. But it was on sale, so I doubt it.
Old December 7, 2018, 07:58 PM   #37
USSR

Rich,

You must indeed have the magical vibratory tumbler.

Don
Old December 7, 2018, 08:41 PM   #38
Rangerrich99

Quote:
Originally Posted by USSR View Post
Rich,

You must indeed have the magical vibratory tumbler.

Don
Oh well, that's good to know. Maybe I can get some money out of the thing then at the next gun show. I'll make up a sign, "Magic tumbler! Bidding starts at $500!!!"

I'm gonna be RICH I tell ya, RICH!
Old December 7, 2018, 09:34 PM   #39
Nodak1858

I have 0 issues with tumbling loaded rounds. A few years ago I loaded up rifle and pistol rounds with flake, ball and stick powder. All the cases well wet tumbled previously so were spotless inside and out. Then I tumbled them for a month straight. Each week I took one of the loaded with each powder and broke them down. At the end of the month the final rounds were tumbled for 730 hours straight, with no stopping at any time. All the cases were spotless, zero dust in any of them. No I'm not a scientist, or even stayed at a Holiday Inn but if a month shows no debris in the case from breaking down powder, a couple hours will be fine. Here's the link of my post.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=119371

Last edited by Nodak1858; December 7, 2018 at 11:07 PM.
Old December 7, 2018, 09:35 PM   #40
Nodak1858

Just looked and all the photos I had through Photobucket are gone in the thread, makes me not happy.
Old December 8, 2018, 06:02 PM   #41
Rangerrich99

Well heck. I guess that means I don't have a magic tumbler . . .
Old December 11, 2018, 06:09 PM   #42
LE-28

Quote:
Oh well, that's good to know. Maybe I can get some money out of the thing then at the next gun show. I'll make up a sign, "Magic tumbler! Bidding starts at $500!!!"

I'm gonna be RICH I tell ya, RICH!
Rich, that is just funny as hell!

I guess it may depend on what tumbler you have. I doubt Cabelas ever made anything in their existents.

I have a M2 Hornady which is their entry level model. It may not have enough poop to lift a loaded .308.
My .308s sunk and I never saw any sign of them again. It works really well with just empty cases. I guess that's what it was designed to do.
The better vibratory tumblers probably do a better job of lifting heavier rounds up and moving them around. I primarily use a rotary tumblerI built 30 years ago and I bought this vibratory on a whim.
But I like it.
Old December 12, 2018, 11:34 PM   #43
Nodak1858

A Thumlers Tumbler, made for rock polishing, will move loaded rounds just like empty brass. Tumbled a 1,000s of rounds of surplus 30-06 in my Ultra-vibe 18.
Old December 14, 2018, 07:31 PM   #44
Grey_Lion

I'm wondering why anyone would risk this? known good cases and known good ammo is ALWAYS cheaper than medical bills and broken weapons.......
Old December 17, 2018, 02:37 PM   #45
Roamin_Wade

Grey_Lion, bullets explode in a rather violent way already and actions are made to withstand at least 15% over charge just for the safety margin and they actually will withstand even more than that. I just yesterday watched a youtube video where this dude was shooting 50 BMG's out of his 12 gauge single shot.