The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 7, 2017, 01:30 AM   #1
Dan-O

Dan Wesson 715

Been about a year since I’ve walked into a gun shop. The one I went into today had a couple Dan Wesson 715’s. The trigger was absolutely sick. Anyone else have any experience with this new run of them? The $2k price tag is a tough pill to swallow, but that trigger is unbelievable and the fact it comes with 3 barrels is certainly sweet too.
Old November 7, 2017, 01:47 AM   #2
Radny97

Assuming we’re talking about the new ones under current production, I’ve got one. It’s my favorite gun. And that’s saying something since I️ have a number of guns. The trigger on mine surpasses a tuned smith. Shorter travel. Lighter. Smoother, though there is a little stacking. Smiths and rugers tend to stack right at the beginning of the pull and then get lighter as you complete the trigger travel. I️ find that this means that your trigger finger will ‘milk’ the gun and result in a little too much pressure from the trigger finger at the end of the pull, tending to pull the sights off target toward the strong hand. The 715 has a lighter and more consistent pull all the way through. I️ have also installed the lightest Wolff springs and have zero light strikes, even with CCI primers. Strong firing pin strikes with all brands I’ve tried so far (CCI, S&B, Federal). Lock up is rock solid. These are hand crafted guns that are only going up in value.
But $2000 for the full pack is over priced. I’d say more like $1800 is the going price for a full pack. $1300 for just the 6 inch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 19, 2017, 05:53 PM   #3
Brutus

Was on the hunt for a pre-lock Smith 686 but stumbled on a good deal for a 6" 715. Absolutely love the gun best DA trigger pull I have ever experienced.
Had it for about 3 months and while it hasn't been quite as accurate as my Python I figure that it needs a different recipe to make it happy. Had a few hiccups when first bought, so I did have to send it back to Dan Wesson, Since I got it back it has been flawless.
Old November 20, 2017, 11:13 AM   #4
reddog81

I was considering buying one of the new ones when they came out a couple of years a go, but have yet to see one in person. It sounds like the prices have jumped recently.

That’s a pretty steep price for 1 revolver with a couple of barrels. You could buy a J frame, L frame and N frame S&W for that price and have a much better combination of guns. Of course you, like many of us on this forum, might already numerous revolvers and just want something different.
Old November 20, 2017, 01:20 PM   #5
RUT

You can probably find a "real" one like mine for less money than the new ones.

https://s20.postimg.org/790tyrbvh/DW-2_zpse4d5f2ed.jpg
Old November 30, 2017, 08:52 PM   #6
Ron L

I bought a 4 barrel Pistol Pack back in 1983. I put a spring kit in it and never had to do anything else. It’s accurate as all get out at longer ranges with a scope on the 8” barrel. It’s my favorite handgun.

Detroit Area Chapter
Terre-Haute Torque & Recoil Society
"If it rolls, floats, or shoots, runs on gunpowder or gasoline, goes fast, shoots a big bullet, or makes lots of noise thus producing torque and recoil - it's cool."
Old December 1, 2017, 07:18 AM   #7
muzzleblast...

A friend just picked up a near mint, vintage 8" barrel .22 LR Dan Wesson with a Swift scope mounted for $600 at a gun show. It shoots great and there are no exaggerations about the sweet trigger. Although the "pistol packs" with multiple barrels has always been interesting, I'd be likely to leave it in one configuration normally while the remaining barrels stayed in the case. $2000 sound a bit high.
Old December 3, 2017, 04:08 PM   #8
Brutus

Damn things are addicting. Never figured on buying an extra barrel but with my aging eyes the 8 incher kept calling me. Now that I got the 8" the 4" keeps calling me too me too.
What I would really like to find is some Roper style grips, can't seem to locate any from the various grip makers.

Last edited by Brutus; December 3, 2017 at 06:08 PM.