The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 8, 2017, 01:07 PM   #1
Spur0701

Unscented "Bio-friendly" Nontoxic CLP

I've mainly been using Ed's Red for the last 20 years or so with some Shooter's Choice or Hoppes thrown in for whenever I run into some heavy leading or copper fouling. Along with that I had a couple of big bottles of Militec that my agency gave me and I supplemented that with Moble1 0W40.

My wife has kind of gotten on me about the smell and potential toxic effects of the stuff in Ed's Red and the other solvents and lubes.......she's sensitive to that stuff and I think she's kind of brain washed me to a degree on this subject.

I've got a lot of stuff, and usually hit the range twice a week with 3-5 weapons plus have a fair number of racked mil-surps that need protection.....so normally I would mix up a gallon of Ed's Red and it would last me 18 to 24 months (that's a WAG on my part).

I wanted to switch to something bio-degradable and non-toxic that doesn't cost out the butt that I could use on everything for everything in general (wood, metal, leather, etc....) so I tried to switch to Ballistol. I felt the price was right at less than $20 for 16oz and ironically my wife doesn't mind the smell of it but I can't stand it, it makes me nauseous, I hate it.

My google-foo searches haven't helped me much. I really don't want to pay through the nose for RAND CLP, Fireclean, Froglube, Slip2000, etc..... all that stuff seems to be $15 for 4oz. and from my limited research is probably coconut oil with some "nano" stuff and other additives thrown in for good measure and/or scent.

I would love it if I could just find unscented Ballistol......but that doesn't seem to exist. Does anyone know of something like that Ballistol that has no scenet?
Old August 8, 2017, 04:05 PM   #2
spacemanspiff

Wish I had the answer. For now, I do my cleaning on the back porch outside. Come winter, I suppose I'll have to do it in the enclosed entryway. I dont like the entire house smelling like solvent.
Old August 8, 2017, 05:14 PM   #3
jmhyer

MPro7 and Hoppe's Elite gun cleaner are both nearly odor-free. They are cleaners only (not lubricants) and aren't exactly cheap. They do a good job, though, in my experience.
Old August 8, 2017, 07:12 PM   #4
kenny53

I have used frog lube with pretty good results.
Old August 8, 2017, 08:35 PM   #5
TheGunGeek

I use Frog Lube which I know is on your "expensive" list. If you purchase the 32 oz size, the price is significantly cheaper (I just purchased more solvent from Midway). I typically use the solvent first, and then the CLP. The CLP lasts a very long time, only a small amount is needed.
Old August 9, 2017, 09:16 AM   #6
Carne Frio

I like Gunzilla. It's non toxic. It works and it's cheap.
http://www.topduckproducts.com/

Last edited by Carne Frio; August 10, 2017 at 09:41 AM.
Old August 9, 2017, 09:37 AM   #7
VoodooMountain

Frognlube is likely coconut oil so it meets the non hazardous requirement.

Ballistol is non hazardous but smells like gym socks or black liquorice depending on your nose in aerosol form. The big liquid can I have isn't too bad.

Mineral oil can work well for some applications and is often the base in most lubes anyway

I sometimes use a homemade brew that is basically eds red. I let the finished potion sit for a while with the cap off and th le atf smell dissapates to almost nothing. I use motul brand but don't think it matters.
Old August 9, 2017, 10:15 AM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carne Frio
I like Gunzilla. It's non toxic. It works and a cheap.
http://www.topduckproducts.com/
Another vote for Gunzilla. I've been using it for years.
Old August 9, 2017, 02:41 PM   #9
rickyrick

I don't consider a properly lubed gun to be necessarily environmentally unfriendly, since it shouldn't be dripping off anywhere anyway. Most people's chainsaw puts more lube into the environment than a gun will. Responsibly lubed, environmental impact is minimal. Petroleum oozes out of the ground naturally anyway, especially before we actually started using it.

Lots of people have examined frog lube and has determined that it is most likely coconut oil. Vegetable shortening was developed to lube submarine shaft seals, at least that's what I heard, I can't say that it is fact.
Any plant based product is going to be the result of some type of deforestation.
Any modern endeavor is going to damage the environment, technology in all forms is damaging. Shooting in itself is damaging to the environment; from mining raw materials till the bullet hits the berm, it is all unnecessary and damaging.
Shooting is not necessary for a basic human existence, therefore every aspect of it is environmentally unfriendly. I work in Renewable Energy... guess what it's damaging too.

We have to return to the Stone Age to avoid environmental damage, not many are willing. Most we can do is to slow its effects, but the damage marches on.

If you want non-toxic, there's better options than petroleum.
Old August 12, 2017, 05:43 AM   #10
kozak6

Some of Lubriplate's greases/oils are non toxic and even food grade.

No idea on cleaners.