The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 17, 2020, 05:55 PM   #26
higgite

Quote:
"....but it isn't the tip of the bullet which contacts the rifling......it's some point on the ogive, well back from the tip and just in front of the full diameter section of the projectile."

44AMP, that was 44 years ago and your discussion above mirrors it. So - what would you like to call that point to settle the quandary for the next 44 years?
How about "the point on the ogive where it contacts the rifling"?

Last edited by higgite; August 17, 2020 at 06:14 PM.
Old August 18, 2020, 01:01 AM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

and in the past 44 years no one has come up with a unique term for that point on the ogive, which probably says something about how important it is...

I suppose Rifling Contact Point would do as a general term.

The thing about loading for handguns vs rifles is that while some things apply straight across the board, other things don't. Also even in rifles some things that are useful in some rifles for some purposes simply aren't for others.

As a friend of mine frequently says, when the subject of seating bullets 0.0xx" off the lands comes up, ..

"how does this help me shooting a .300 Savage Model 99 put down an elk??

The point is, while seating a certain distance off the lands may result in the most accurate load, it isn't a practical or sometimes even a possible thing in some guns, IF you plan to use them as repeaters.

Additionally, his rifle is already more than minute of elk accurate with both factory and regular handloads, so why bother??

When you shift over to handguns things get more complicated in some ways and simpler in others.

There are 3 types of handguns, revolvers, semi autos, and "others". There are physical limits as to how close to the lands you can get in a revolver. The closest you can possibly get is the bullet tip even with the front face of the cylinder (and be sure it won't move forward!!)

Semi autos are a mixed bag, running from pocket guns up through duty/service class guns, and all the way to magnums. Since the chamber and barrel are one, in theory you could "chase the lands' the way a target shooter can.

However, there are several factors that can get in the way. AND there are many factors that work against rifle level accuracy, no matter where the bullet is seated relative to the rifling.

The last class of handguns I called "other" and there are some of those that are essentially short barrel stockless rifles, single shots of bolt action or break action design where you can load bullets to 0.xxx off the lands if you wish.

An XP 100 or a T/C Contender are a couple examples of that.

But now, turn and take a look at semiautos again. From a pocket .380 to a GLock to a Desert Eagle, you find a huge amount of variations. many of them limiting the ability to load bullet long enough to reach the lands.

AND there is also the opposite where guns have "short" throats and some bullets cannot be loaded to max length and must be shorter to keep them out of the lands.

Its very much a gun & bullet specific thing.
Old August 18, 2020, 07:30 AM   #28
jetinteriorguy

This is a question for Uncle Nick concerning a comment you made in post #20 about replacing the Hornady bullet comparator with the Sinclair. Does this mean the Sinclair unit will fit in the Hornady body?
Old August 18, 2020, 09:43 AM   #29
higgite

I'm not Unclenick, nor do I play him on TV , but yes the Sinclair comparator inserts do fit the Hornady body. And vice versa.
Old August 18, 2020, 01:31 PM   #30
jetinteriorguy

Thanks. I’m going to need a couple of those.
Old August 18, 2020, 02:20 PM   #31
PocketCamera

if it keeps you up at night,,, get a nice revolver. and get bullets with a crimp groove. youll be happier.