The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old March 19, 2020, 01:11 PM   #1
Pistoler0

CCW & state of emergency - coronavirus

Can anybody chime in with some insights into how the declaration of a state of emergency can LEGALLY impact conceal carry?. I am not looking for opinions on the constitutionality of such measures or the moral right of the government to restrict rights; I am interested, from a practical stand point, on how CCW rights may be curtailed under the law given the times we are going through right now with coronavirus and all

I assume it varies by state. I am in Colorado and according to CO Rev Stat ยง 24-33.5-704, upon the declaration of a state of emergency, the governor can "Suspend or limit the sale, dispensing, or transportation of alcoholic beverages, firearms, explosives, or combustibles".

It is well known that during Katrina, authorities in New Orleans seized legally owned guns. I suppose that most CCW carriers find it even more necessary to avail ourselves with some way of protection now that times are uncertain. But I want to make sure that I (we) have the knowledge and information we need in order not to break any laws.

Can anybody with legal expertise chime in and give us some insight?

Thank you and God Bless America
Old March 19, 2020, 02:44 PM   #2
TailGator

Not a lawyer, but I am quite certain you are right about it varying from state to state. If you quoted the Colorado law correctly, a plain reading would indicate that the governor has the power to limit sales and transportation of firearms under an emergency. Transportation could be a potential problem for a licensed carrier, but it would depend on the wording of the governor's proclamation.

We have some licensed lawyers here, so one of them is likely to stop by with a more thorough and scholarly answer, but that is my amateur reading of your post.
Old March 19, 2020, 03:29 PM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

Duplicate thread.