The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 25, 2017, 08:57 PM   #1
TheLastGoodFight

Mini 14 Series Question

A while back I was on the fence about an AR or M1A.
You purists, please understand that being in my 2nd year of marriage, my pocket book won't support the AR or M1A I have my sights on; so I've opted for a Ruger Mini 14 580 series, with intentions of upgrading a thing or two to imitate a M1A.
Some of you are thinking "abomination!" For now, the M1 goes on my "retirement gun list."
For the rest of you, I'm looking at a used Mini starting with serial number 547. You'd think that would belong in the newest series, but even Ruger's serial number history doesn't clarify which series it belongs in, nor do any of the other forums I've visited. Without a solid date of manufacture, I hesitate to move on it. Any input would be appreciated.
Old March 25, 2017, 09:22 PM   #2
SHR970

How is it that a 580 series has a 547 S/N leader? Sounds like a falsified S/N to me. Sounds to me like a call to Ruger and / or PASS on this particular gun.
Old March 25, 2017, 10:00 PM   #3
jmr40

Quote:
my pocket book won't support the AR or M1A
Where I live a new Mini-14 is almost $800. An AR that is better in every way can be had for $500-$600. It may not be a top tier AR, but a $500 AR is a better rifle than a Mini. Not only that but magazines and every other accessory is much cheaper for AR's. With today's political climate I'm betting used AR's can be picked up dirt cheap. Lots of people over bought during the last 8 years and will be willing to let some go.

The Mini's aren't a bad gun and 30 years ago when you could buy 2 or 3 Mini-14's for the price of an AR they made a lot of sense. I don't see how anyone can justify buying one at todays prices. I'd pass, but if the price is right they aren't as bad as some make it seem.

Any chance you have the wrong SN. I don't see that anywhere. If the SN is correct call Ruger.

Winston Churchill
Old March 25, 2017, 10:59 PM   #4
bamaranger

mini's

No problem with you getting a me from me. I'm pretty much in line with what jmr advised, 30 yrs ago the Mini was the thing, and if a guy can get a used one today at very good price, they are not bad utility rifles.

I don't see how Ruger can sustain the model at the current new price. The Mini30 is not a bad carbine either, and a viable alternative to an AK.
Old March 26, 2017, 12:44 AM   #5
Tad_T

If you mean that the serial number is 580-547xx, then that rifle was built in 2008.

Ruger New Mini-14 Ranch Rifle Serial Numbers
Old March 26, 2017, 01:33 AM   #6
turtlehead

jmr40 knows of what he speaks.

Go forth and Ruger no more.
Old March 26, 2017, 09:57 AM   #7
rickyrick

Mini14 is a wood and steel gun, (at least the pretty ones are)

They are not a bad gun, I had one in the 1980s and I bought another in 2009. I never knew they were inaccurate. The rifles I've encountered shot just as well as any other semiauto. My Mini14 has taken more animals than anything else I own.

The prices are high, but apparently people like them enough to pay the prices.
Minis are crazy reliable, attractive and I'd venture to say that most 581+ Mini14s are better than battle rifle accurate.

Here is my advice:
1) if you want a Mini14, go for it. You'll love it for many years to come.
2) if you want something else, do not settle for the Mini14. If you settle, you won't like it.

In the firearms world you save to get what you want the first time, settling for something else is almost always more expensive.
Old March 26, 2017, 12:35 PM   #8
kraigwy

I don't know about the Newer Mini 14s, but I had a bit of experience with the Mini's of the early 80s and it wasn't a good experience.

When the Anchorage Police Dept. started their SWAT teams, I was assigned to do the firearms training, or rifle part anyway.

The Cpt, OIC of the new swat team (actually they called them CERT) chose the Mini 14, for no other reason then that the Troopers had ARs, we weren't state troopers.

Try as I might, I couldn't talking him into going the AR route, even pointing out that the Army was changing to the M16A2s and Police Depts could get the 'A1s free. No matter, he went with the Mini.

They couldn't come close to my standards for qualifications. I had them try some A1s I got from my NG unit, and it was a different ball game altogether.

They just didn't have the accuracy needed for police work.

Anyway they were stuck with the Minis. To get me to sign off on the training, they promised to send two guys to my sniper school I ran later that summer.

Then eventually went to ARs and MP5s.

But like I said, that was a while back, I have no experience with the present day Minis. I do know Ruger now makes some darn nice ACCURATE rifles, I can only hope they improved the Minis'

Cost wise, checking prices I don't see any cost advantage of the Minis over the ARs.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 26, 2017, 12:47 PM   #9
rickyrick

Of my two Minis, both were accurate enough and I was pleased.

I must add that there is more than enough information and testimonials out there that prove to me that a great number of them are indeed unacceptably inaccurate.

Stick with 581+ serial numbers if you get one.

They are not easy to accessorize either, if that's an issue.

On March 26th, 2017, for the price of a Mini14, you could throw together a much better AR. I say all of these things as a die-hard mini14 fan.
Old March 27, 2017, 12:41 AM   #10
lordmorgul

Mini 14 Series Question

I love my Mini14 Tactical 580, but have to point out that was an $800 gun, and it shoots great, much better than all the previous editions, but a $500 AR will out-perform my Mini by a lot, and that is ok. I own it because several years ago there were few if any good "featureless" options for ARs and I wanted a gun with no bullet button, specifically. I now have other guns that cost a lot more than the Mini and shoot much better, but I'm not getting rid of it ever.

If you get a mini you'll love it. Later you might want something more customizable and accurate, but I highly doubt you'll regret buying any mini, whatever the series. Obviously, 580+ are better than the older slim barrel.

It'll never run a 3-gun competition well, just keep a realistic view and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 27, 2017, 07:43 AM   #11
Gunplummer

The Rugers just keep going up. The Black Guns just keep going down. Seems pretty cut and dried to me. My early experiences with the M16 did not impress me. Maybe they got the bugs out now. With all the problems and complaints pointed out by the AR "Builders" on this forum, I doubt it.
Old March 27, 2017, 11:02 AM   #12
Fishbed77

Quote:
Maybe they got the bugs out now. With all the problems and complaints pointed out by the AR "Builders" on this forum, I doubt it.
That's the difference between a high-quality, well-sorted rifle like a BCM, DD, or Colt, and the homebuilds by folks just looking for the cheapest parts online.
Old March 28, 2017, 07:46 AM   #13
Ibmikey

Fishbed, Not all builds are as you described, i have several that cost me way more to build than my DdM4 to purchase. All of my build parts come from quality suppliers like Brownells, Aero, Faxon, MI, etc.
Old March 28, 2017, 01:53 PM   #14
Fishbed77

Quote:
Fishbed, Not all builds are as you described, i have several that cost me way more to build than my DdM4 to purchase. All of my build parts come from quality suppliers like Brownells, Aero, Faxon, MI, etc.
Certainly not, nor was implying as such. I have built a number of extremely reliable ARs from quality components myself.

I'm just refuting Gunplummer's inaccurate assumption that that the AR is an unsorted, unreliable design, when quite the opposite is true, and I would not be surprised to find that many of the issues folks post here result from the use of substandard parts and sloppy execution.
Old March 28, 2017, 04:47 PM   #15
COSteve

The high prices of the used 580, 581, and problematic 582 Series being what they are, I'd find a way to buy a NIB 583 Series from a discounter like Bud's Gunz. You can get a NIB 583 Series model 5801 (2 ea 5rd mags for hunting) for $743 delivered at Bud's.

Add in the upgrades I mentioned in the OP's other thread (Veteran's Advice: SR556 vs. M1A) and a few 20rd mags on sale and you've got about another $250-$275 in it. Yes, more than a base model AR but a real Wood and Steel rifle that has the look of the M1A the OP is interested in but the economy of shooting the AR's much cheaper .223/5.56 caliber.
Old March 28, 2017, 05:50 PM   #16
ThomasT

I have a 580 series mini and a DPMS AR-15. I like them both. I have shot the mini far more than the AR. If I had to I could part with the AR. The mini ain't going nowhere.

My gun has the thicker tapered barrel. With cheap Academy Monarch ammo it will shoot a little over 2" groups with my 60 year old eyes and open sights. Thats about the best I can do with any open sighted gun at 100 yards.

I have 9 Pro-Mag magazines that were $20 each. They work without fail. And they are hardened steel, not softer aluminum like the AR mags I own. My rifle is wood and stainless steel.

I like the way the Mini feels in my hands better than the AR. Maybe if I spent more time with the AR I would like it better. But the Mini is the one that gets shot. It will do everything I want that type of rifle to do.

I did install a rubber buffer and a smaller gas port bushing. Now it drops empties about 6-8 foot away and the recoil is softer. Those were the only mods I felt were needed.
Old March 28, 2017, 05:56 PM   #17
ThomasT

There is one thing I don't like about my Mini-14. And that is with the 20 round mag installed it pokes you in the back when slung over your shoulder. I wish I had a way to mount the sling on the side like on an MI Carbine so the mag would lay flat. But most of the time I just use the 5 round mags so its not a real big problem.
Old March 28, 2017, 06:04 PM   #18
Targa

I have often toyed with the idea of selling my AR to pick up a mini. My hang up? I think that a AR is about the best all around bang for the buck that's out their and from a dollar for dollar comparison it just doesn't make sense to me. With that said and getting out of the practical side of my head, in my opinion....again just my opinion, the mini looks better and it is more fun to shoot. The AR is just kind of vanilla/boring while the mini is a bit more grin inducing....
Nope, I will never knock someone for choosing a mini over an AR.
Old March 28, 2017, 07:35 PM   #19
rickyrick

My mini is still the favorite of all my guns. They are reliable, crazy reliable.

If you buy it for what it is, then you'll love it. It serves the role of ranch rifle perfectly; a handy little carbine to pop any threat encountered while out in the pasture.

The first shot out of a mini will be right at the point of aim, if you zero it that way.
High volume fire with mil-surp ammunition is not where the mini shines. Unfortunately that's the job in that people ask the mini to do.

Find the ammo it likes, it will perform acceptably.

If you buy it as a substitute AR15, you will never like it, it's not an AR15.
Old March 28, 2017, 07:48 PM   #20
Targa

Quote:
it's not an AR15.
And I love that about it. I'm with ya, I think people often by a firearm as replacement to another firearm when the two are absolutely nothing alike and then end up dissapointed.
Buy a firearm for what it is and you will most likely appreciate it. Heck, dare I say it is kind of like a SCAR vs. a M1a, if you buy one to replace the other you are probably going to be dissapointed.
Old March 29, 2017, 11:02 AM   #21
COSteve

As you can see from my pictures in the other thread, "Veteran's Advice: SR556 vs. M1A", I own and shoot both the ARs and my Mini as well as M1, M1 Carbines, and M1A. Each has it's place and it's niche. I like each platform for it's strengths and it's weaknesses. Its what makes them unique and enjoyable so I'm not dissing my ARs.

In the OP's original post, he asked about the M1A vs AR. I mentioned that he might consider a 3rd option; a sort of middle ground between the two should he like the look and feel of the M1A but the caliber and lower ammo cost of the AR, the Mini-14.

I could have also mentioned the Mini-30; a ¾ ish version of the M1A as it shoots a 30 cal rd that has reduced performance compared to the M1A's 7.62x51. I didn't as I didn't want to further complicate his choices as the Mini-30's 7.62x39 ammo is a bit cheaper than the M1A's for blasting ammo but hunting ammo is expensive.

Even handloading, the 7.62x39 is more expensive than either the .223/5.56 or .308/7.62x51 as the .311", 30 cal Russian cal bullets are more expensive and less available here than the .308", 30 cal US and NATO cal bullets are.

(As I handload for all my centerfire calibers (16 in all at present) I've considered the Mini-30. However, as I already handload 30 Carbine, 30-30, 300 Savage, .308, and 30-06, I really feel no 'need' for another 30 cal caliber, especially when all the other 30 cals use a .308" bullet while the 7.62x39 uses a .311" bullet. I just don't want the extra expense of a new bullet diameter.)

Last edited by COSteve; March 29, 2017 at 11:16 AM.
Old March 29, 2017, 11:13 AM   #22
peggysue

LOL AR 15 rule
no one want a Rugar Mini 14
Old March 29, 2017, 11:29 AM   #23
COSteve

Quote:
LOL AR 15 rule
no one want a Rugar Mini 14
Interesting comment peggysue (even though it's grammatically flawed). Lets look at facts, not ill phrased rhetoric:
  • Ruger sells it's Minis at a great clip and has since the early 70s.
  • Ruger has increased production numbers on it's Minis.
  • Ruger has come out with new models and still demand is strong.
  • Ruger has come out with new calibers and still demand is strong.
  • The resale value of even 30yr old Minis is higher than brand new ARs.
  • The interest in Minis has been strong for likely longer than you've been alive.

Again, I'm not dissing my ARs, just saying that the Mini, like many other platforms, has it's place as well. Most of the AR fanboys (and girls) are in fact, just trying to justify their choice to themselves when no one else really cares.
Old March 29, 2017, 01:13 PM   #24
rickyrick

We can like Mini14s and ARs.

I'm not sure how Mini14s ever became confused with an AR15.
They have absolutely nothing in common except you can hang a big-ole-magazine under it.

The mini has a Garand "TYPE" action.

The mini has some advantages over the AR. I'm not going to list them except that I prefer a mini in the dark.

My one gripe is the rock-in magazine, it's easy to miss the front pin without practicing. Easy after some practice.

If you are wanting a nostalgic looking gun made of blued steel and wood that is also a fairly capable and extremely reliable function, get a Mini14.

I think that my last hiccup for my mini14 was about 2012... stove pipe. I can only recall one other failure and I think it was a magazine issue.
Old March 29, 2017, 02:29 PM   #25
Gunplummer

Has anyone tried .308 bullets in a mini thirty? I have a 7.62x39 bolt gun with a .311-.312 barrel and it is very accurate with .308 150 gr bullets. I had a .300 Savage built on an Arisaka action with the original barrel and it was awesome at 100 yards. Never tried it on a longer range. May be a difference if the mini 30 is button rifled.