The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old July 17, 2013, 04:12 PM   #1
johnelmore

Posts which bait members...flame bait...

I noticed one controversial post placed up in one of the forums and I was going to respond, but I thought twice and didnt because it seemed too inflammatory. Then eventually a moderator closes it down saying the thread will bait members to respond in such a way to get them banned from TFL.

It made me think there are probably a few posts here, especially recently with the court rulings, which are essentially "flame bait" designed to get folks to post in a way they normally would not.

So, just an observation I thought I would share with the forum. In the future, Im going to look carefully at a post before I place my two cents within it. If it seems a bit too controversial, Ill just move on to the next thread.
Old July 17, 2013, 05:17 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
It made me think there are probably a few posts here, especially recently with the court rulings, which are essentially "flame bait" designed to get folks to post in a way they normally would not.
We usually shut those down pretty quickly. If you see something potentially inflammatory, you can do the forum a great service by hitting the "report" button, and we'll swoop down like a flock of hungry pelicans.

"Controversy" is a relative term, but things that paint the forum or the gun culture in a bad light are not tolerated.
Old July 18, 2013, 09:36 AM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Along those lines, it's a good idea for everyone to reread the Law and Civil Rights forum rules.
Old July 18, 2013, 10:28 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

A controversial, inflamatory post on the internet?

I'm shocked!

As Tom notes, we're pretty good at riding herd on such posts and, as necessary, such posters.

There are always going to be such posts made to TFL simply because we don't moderate posts before they appear in the forums. And given how active TFL is, we're never going to do that.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 18, 2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Evan Thomas

Nor do we want to. Controversy and civility aren't mutually exclusive. There's nothing wrong with discussing a controversial subject, as long as the discussion is polite and factual: one can state opinions, and argue one's case, without being inflammatory.