The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 21, 2012, 01:47 PM   #51
Amsdorf

Here's my take on it.

If you are not man enough to make a commitment to a woman to marry her, don't whine and grip about what you get.

Life's a bummer.
Old October 21, 2012, 02:04 PM   #52
buck460XVR

I CCW, but I have no problem with those that don't regardless of their reasons. I find it ridiculous that some of those that do carry feel the need to ridicule those that don't. Freedom means free to do as you chose as long as it's legal. The decision to carry is subjective. There is no right or wrong, only what's right or wrong for you. Don't want folks telling you how to live your life, don't tell them how to live theirs. Want folks to respect your decisions, then don't disrespect theirs.

Quote:
Most would need to get their own house in order before preaching to others.

...........well said.
Old October 21, 2012, 02:09 PM   #53
Gunnut17

You said she was live-in, right? Make her sleep on the couch next time.
Old October 21, 2012, 02:29 PM   #54
FrankenMauser

Quote:
So have any of you ever had to deal with a similar situation? How do you formulate the words to convey that you're preparing for an emergency, and that you'll always keep safety as top priority? And what if they just refuse to accept the usefulness of being armed?
After dealing with a few paranoid females that thought firearms were pure evil and capable of going on killing sprees on their own; while suppressing my own feelings and opinions...

I came to a single conclusion:
This is my life.
I will not suppress my thoughts and desires, just to avoid an argument.
If you don't like the way I wish to live my life, you will not be part of it.

Within 3 weeks of meeting my (future) wife, I told her in an appropriate manner:
I own multiple firearms.
They're important to me.
I keep firearms available to me, to defend myself and those I love.
It is important to me.
I will continue buying more firearms, until I am no longer capable of using them.
I reload. I assemble my own ammunition in my home.
These things are important to me.
I will not give these things up.

Having spent much of her life in an anti-gun city, of an anti-gun county, of an anti-gun state; she was another one of the "but guns are evil" crowd. However... she decided to give them a chance.

Now, she has her own SD handgun, has bought several firearms as gifts for me, and has bought 2 or 3 firearms for herself (and has a firearms wishlist longer than my own).
Old October 21, 2012, 02:46 PM   #55
Patriot86

Thank god my wife and I both have the sense to keep a loaded gun within reach of where we sleep. We've already talked about it and when we have kids we will each have one of those biometic mini-lock boxes near our night stands.

That being said...my wife drew the line when I cleared out her makeup drawer in the bathroom one day and stashed a 1911 with spare magazines in there; somehow I think if I did that with my drawer on the other side of the bathroom sink she wouldn't mind.
Old October 21, 2012, 03:08 PM   #56
Glenn E. Meyer

Oh, for God's sake. What are some of you 12 years old?

Closed.