The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 4, 2006, 04:51 PM   #1
bobhwry

Is it true??

I currently don,t reload but would like some advice from the experts.I was told by an aquaintance at my range that you won,t achieve a rifles best accuracy unless you use the heaviest bullet the given rifle is capable of shooting.I understand that twist rate and powder loads are very important factors but is it generally true that the heavier the bullet the better? Should I buy factory loads with the heaviest bullets and then work down until I find what a given rifle likes best? Apologize in advance if this is a dumb question.
Old June 4, 2006, 06:09 PM   #2
918v

Not true.

One of the reasons why light for caliber bullets don't shoot well in sporting rifles is the crappy, oversized chamber and the resulting misalignment of the bullet with the bore centerline. There is a myriad of loads that will give excellent accuracy provided that other accuracy-robbing variables are eliminated.
Old June 4, 2006, 06:48 PM   #3
270Win

Not true at all. Take the .270 Winchester... the heaviest practical load is the Nosler 160-grain, although I believe a 170 Speer Round Nose exists. I've found that my 160 grain loads were among the LEAST accurate. The most were 140 and 135 grains - well below the maximum. And they were only a hair better than the generic 130 grain bullets found everywhere from here to the moon.

Not to mention that each rifle is likely to prefer a specific load over another. Not to mention varying twist rates. Not to mention bullet design. Etc. etc.

To assume the heaviest bullet available is the most accurate is just wrong.
Old June 4, 2006, 07:27 PM   #4
skeeter1

Dumb question?

First of all, there no such thing as a dumb question. We all try to help each other out here on TFL.

I'd take 270Win's advice, and experiment with different factory rounds and see which works best in YOUR gun. Depending on the twist (1-in-ten, 1-in-sixteen, etc.), you'll find the one that works best for you.

The heaviest bullet isn't necessarily the most accurate.
Old June 4, 2006, 07:53 PM   #5
Swamp_Fox

If you knew the twist of your barrel you could get an idea of what bullets to test.
Bits of flesh dropped off them from time to time.
And sank into the pool's mire.
They also smelt a great deal.

Paula Nacy Millstone Jennings
Old June 4, 2006, 09:07 PM   #6
918v

What are you shooting?
Old June 5, 2006, 12:09 PM   #7
gb_in_ga

Not True.

While it is true that heavier bullets in a given caliber usually have more "bearing surface" on the rifling than lighter bullets (depending on bullet shape and composition), what is more important is matching the bullet weight to the twist rate of the barrel's rifling, at least so far as bullet weight is concerned. Trial and error will show you what is best for your rifle.
Old June 5, 2006, 12:37 PM   #8
cheygriz

Not true at all!!!

My heavy barrel 6MM Remington varmint rifle with 1 in 10 twist shoots 3/8 inch TEN shot groups with 80 GR bullets. 100 GR bullets open this group up to over 1 inch.
Old June 6, 2006, 01:47 AM   #9
joneb

sounds like a variable quandary to me
Old June 6, 2006, 01:40 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

not true

Every rifle is an individual. Each one will show a preference for one particular bullet weight and load over all others. Sometimes the preference is no preference.

What I mean is, some rifles will shoot about the same with several different bullet/load combinations. Others will shoot one thing markedly better than the others. For example, I have had .30 caliber rifles that shot ok with 150gr but shot much better with 165gr, and not quite so good with 180gr. Others shot best with 150gr. and one that didn't seem to care what you put in it.

Other rifles will do their best only with a particular load combination. this is one of the primary benefits of handloading. Factories make ammunition to give the best average performance in the greatest number of rifles.

Careful tailoring of your handloads may turn a rifle from a 2moa shooter into a .75moa shooter, or better. But since each rifle is an individual, only shooting will tell what kind of results you can achieve.

Good luck, and good shooting.