The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 14, 1999, 03:35 PM   #1
Flashman

I want to thank those that responded to my problem with the long LOP on the factory Winchester M-70 Plastic stock on an Classic Stainless. I thought an easy solution was changing the very thick butt pad but discovered it appears more expensive than it is worth. I am now considering a Ramline stock which advertises the LOP can easily be shortened. It seems either one hates or loves Ramline stocks. I want a very light, very, very stiff stock where I can shorten or get a 13" LOP. My factory Winchester plastic forearm is rather flexible and is not free floated. There are many choices but most are quite expensive and charge more to custom fit the stock to the rifle: are they worth $3-500+? Are they really that much better than a Ramline to justify the price? I would appreciate any comments. Thanks. Flashman
Old November 14, 1999, 09:56 PM   #2
swifter...

Flashman,
I have a Ramline --temporarily -- on my custom 788 while the stock is being built by Lone Wolf. The Ramline is very flexible, and the recoil pad is overly soft.
I had to modify the Ramline in several areas to make it work at all.
Hope this helps,

------------------
The Bill of Rights, and the Golden Rule are enough for civilized behavior. The rest is window dressing. Shoot carefully, swifter...

Old November 15, 1999, 08:29 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Flashman, I just built a 6mm on a 98 action using a Ram-line stock. The rifle shoots great. Swifter is right in his observations. I have yet to see a drop in stock that is truly drop in. Now for a commercial: in my shop, the correction to your LOP and bedding the rifle correctly would run $105.00 (labor only). You can e-mail me if you like and we can discuss it. George
Old November 15, 1999, 01:04 PM   #4
WalterGAII

Brownell's sells the Choate Ultimate Sniper Stock, with adjustable buttplate,adjustable cheekpiece, aluminum bedding block, bi-pod rail, for $106. It won't be as pretty as some, but it gets good reviews from the varmint hunters. (It also free-floats the barrel.) I've been considering one for my Win.

On second thought, the Ultimate Varmint Stock is what I was thinking of.

------------------
Shoot to kill; they'll stop when they're dead!

[This message has been edited by WalterGAII (edited November 15, 1999).]