The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 29, 2014, 12:59 PM   #1
Husqvarna

Never hear anything about the winchester 1300?

been looking for a new shotgun and looking for a pump

found a nice looking win1300 but must buy it unseen IRL if I buy it.

first question how does it rank in general with the other two brands/models that seem the most popular e.i. rem870 mossberg 500/590

second and perhaps most importantly are shims/brackets available to change the cast and/or drop? are the stocks completely straight from the factory?

what model could this be?

does come with a slugbarrel aswell which is nice because it is roughly the same price as a new rem870

and is the speed pump feature only on new guns?
Old October 29, 2014, 01:14 PM   #2
Goatwhiskers

No, you cannot adjust cast or drop due to the way the stock is fitted, although a professional stock maker/fitter could probably do something with it. Just not worth the money. No real reason but I'd go with the Rem or Mossy. That "speed pump" is due to the rotary bolt head, a Win exclusive as far as I know. Can't say if it's really faster, but it's a slick operating system. See if you can lay hands on one to try before you buy. GW
Old October 29, 2014, 01:15 PM   #3
Doyle

Quote:
Because it was a less-than-impressive firearm. It was not bad - just nothing impressive.
Old October 29, 2014, 02:23 PM   #4
Husqvarna

thanks for the replies

only other pump I have found in production (other than cheap turkish ones) is the Itacha, is that a step up in quality?

the bottom eject is a nice touch especially for me as a lefty but it is a bit more expensive then the rem870

I just can't decide, the rem870 is the most common, the mossberg has the safety on the tang (plus for me as a lefty)
the express model is the cheap one right? if I want a little more quality which model should I look for?

there are some benellis and other italians out there but nothing used seems to pop up for me
Old October 29, 2014, 02:39 PM   #5
Doyle

Yes, the Ithaca pump is a MUCH better firearm than the Winchester 1300 ever thought about being.
Old October 29, 2014, 03:41 PM   #6
spacemanspiff

I bought one years and years ago. I haven't taken it to the range in probably 9 or 10 years now. I have thought about selling it, a shotgun is just not high on my list of priorities to maintain in my collection.

As far as shooting, the 870 is more fun to shoot, in my opinion.
Old October 29, 2014, 03:51 PM   #7
Dreaming100Straight

Go with the 870 Express for a reliable gun with a plethora of accessories.

Buying a gun sight unseen is asking for trouble; especially a Winchester 1300.

If you can't afford the 870, go with a new Mossberg. If you can't afford the Mossberg 500, go with its cousin; the Maverick. If you can afford more than the 870, go with the 870 Wingmaster or a Browning BPS (top tang safety and bottom ejection).

I expect to see Remington offering a factory rebate on the 870 in a few weeks.

I don't know if any of these use shims. I think the Benelli Super Nova has a shim kit.

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; October 29, 2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old October 30, 2014, 10:52 AM   #8
SoilworK777

I believe the Benelli Nova & Super Nova use a rotary bolt design as well.
Old October 30, 2014, 11:12 AM   #9
zincwarrior

Not everyone likes a Ford or Chevy (er 870 or 500/590).

The newer Winchesters have good reviews, and are universally liked for their quick actions and value vs. price.

As noted try to rent one or shoot one from one someone else has. Its my understanding pumping the action is more difficult if it has not been shot.
Check it out. If it feels good to you get it.
Old October 30, 2014, 06:48 PM   #10
guruatbol

I have all three.

All are factor with nothing added.

I like all three, but when I use a pump which is rare since I got a Citori o/u, I tend toward the Mossberg. It has the double sight and just fits me. It balances well and swings good.

I say go try them first and see which one is for you.

I learned to dove hunt with an 870 I borrowed. It had a Poly twist choke. I spent more time messing around with it than shooting. I did limit out though.

My 1300 swings nice and I really like it, but I have to take it in as it binds when hot. So in fast dove action I leave it at home.

My 870 is a work horse. Honestly though, I just don't like the way it fits me. I use it as a loaner.

My MB 500 has been dropped in a pond and dug out of the foot deep goop at the bottom, rinsed off and fired at two ducks, which I hit before I got to the WD40 and some gun lube. Still shoots perfect.

Mel
Old November 5, 2014, 08:46 AM   #11
Nickel Plated

The people who own a 1300 generally love theirs. The one's who don't just assume it can't be as good as an 870 or 500.

Accessories aren't as plentiful for the 1300 but generally, anything that's worth putting on a shotgun can be put on a 1300.

It might not be as "torture test" tough as an 870, meaning throwing it in mud and running a truck over it. But I don't throw mine in mud or run it over with trucks. As long as you take basic care of the thing, it'll lost longer than you.

The "speed pump" is useful and works quite well once you get the hang of it. Sure, any slicked up shotgun can do what the 1300 does. The 1300 just makes it easier. Even a noob like me could shuck it faster than the thrower could send out those clays.
Though it has nothing to do with the rotary bolt. It's the design of the bolt lock that allows it.

I think the real reason behind why the 1300 never got much acceptance from the shooting community is the same reason the Beretta M9 didn't. Not really any particular flaws of the gun. But because it had the unfortunate job of replacing a legend.
The M9 replaced the venerable 1911 and was automatically hated for that. If it weren't for that Euro-trash poodle shooter, we'd still have our .45s the way Browning intended. *sarcasm off*
The 1200 and 1300 replaced the Winchester Model 12. The "perfect repeater". Kind of a hard act to follow. People complain it's not built as nice as the Model 12 and I agree. But it's still built better than the Mossbergs I've seen. So I can't really hold that against it.

Either way I got the SXP which is just an updated 1300 and I love it. Turned me into a bit of a Winchester fanboy I'll admit. I really wanted a Mossberg until I got one of these in my hand.
Old November 5, 2014, 09:14 AM   #12
jaguarxk120

Remember this Winchester is a company that is in the world today to make MONEY, they make money by building guns!

The 1200, 1300, and 1400 series guns was a exercise in engineering to build the gun as cheap as possible!
Are they serviceable guns, YES, they do shoot.

Are they like the Model 12, not in a long shot. The Model 12 was all steel, NO stamped parts, all machined, no plastic parts, even the plain wooden stocks looked good.

Look around you can do much better than the 1300.
Old November 9, 2014, 09:33 AM   #13
Husqvarna

how is it with brackets to change the cast on rem870s or moss500s?

I mean I can get by with a straight stock but a slight cast would be nice

I tihnk I still want a RH gun because I am so used to loading it like that

and a pump should have no issues with gasses and powder residue anyway, right?
Old November 9, 2014, 03:48 PM   #14
Virginian

The 1300 has been gone for a while now. It replaced the 1200, and was itself replaced by the Speed Pump, and now the SXP. The 870 and Mossberg have been virtually unchanged for decades. There is a reason for the differences.
Old November 9, 2014, 08:14 PM   #15
Dreaming100Straight

I don't believe there are commercially available shims for the Remington 870, but some make them out of most anything. Google Dave McC or McCracken as he tells how on various forums. There used to be shims for the 500, but they have been discontinued and may be hard to find. Ones for sale on Ebay for the 836 are said to work on the 500
Old November 10, 2014, 06:46 AM   #16
eastbank

i have a older 1300 short barreled 12ga mag cammoed that i use some times for turkey in bad weather and have killed a pile of turkeys with it, but lately its been a loaner. i have not had any problems with it over the years, but i have not shot a boat load of shells thru it. i put it a little better than a mossberg on the shotgun scale. eastbank.
Old November 10, 2014, 08:36 AM   #17
jaguarxk120

Generally people that own the 1200,1300, and 1400 series of guns have NO trouble with them IF, I said IF they are hunters shooting only a couple time a year.

When pressed into hard service at the trap and skeet ranges where they are used as rental or service guns, they tend to fall flat as they cannot stand up to repeated use/firing like higher quality shotguns.
Old November 10, 2014, 09:31 AM   #18
Microgunner

As a left hander the 1300 auto pump action will be like a semi auto and may spray your face with gas.
When you pull the trigger on a 1300 that you are pressing into your shoulder with rearward pressure on the pump the bolt opens immediately like a semi auto, no hesitation. Hence "auto pump".
Old November 10, 2014, 01:37 PM   #19
Husqvarna

gotcha,

now to find a mossberg 500, the tang safety is the kicker for me I think.

I really should get synthetic stock because my guns gets used wet, snowy muddy etc but wood is just so much nicer
Old November 10, 2014, 02:11 PM   #20
Doyle

Husqvarna, since you are a lefty you would benefit from a Browning BPS. It has a down eject. They are great shotguns too - but they do cost more than the Mossberg.
Old November 10, 2014, 02:16 PM   #21
Husqvarna

yeah I know about the BPS and the Itchaca

but the only Itachas availble are with a rifled barrel and I want a regular smooth bore

One big box type store has got weatherby PA-08 brand new for HALF the price of a new rem870 here

but that is just cheap junk?
Old November 10, 2014, 02:34 PM   #22
Doyle

The Weatherby shotguns are far from junk. They are quite decent.