The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 8, 2014, 08:30 PM   #1
The Storm

Percussion Rifle Marked "Selden"

I recently came into possession of a couple antique percussion rifles but know nothing about them. I am curious to learn any history/information surrounding the guns that can be derived from their markings.

This is rifle 1 of 2 - The barrel is stamped with the name “A. SELDEN” and below that another name which is very difficult to read, but it appears to be “WHITEHALL”

There does not seem to be any other present markings, and I cannot tell the caliber...I'm not sure if that matters much or not as far as identifying the gun.

If anyone knows anything about this rifle or the names that are stamped on it I would greatly appreciate your replies.

Here is a link to view the photos online:https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i7iu7gnw6...zYdn6PsZa?dl=0
Old September 8, 2014, 08:59 PM   #2
noelf2

Made by Alanzo Selden in the Adirondack mountains.

http://tinyurl.com/na4ztg6
Old September 8, 2014, 09:41 PM   #3
The Storm

Thanks for another lead noelf2! I found this picture on pinterest of another Alonzo Selden rifle...looks to be very similar to mine.

I've been doing some searching around online trying to find more information specifically on A. Selden, so far I've come up dry. If you happen to know a link with information about the gunmaker himself I'd be very interested to read up on him.