The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 26, 2013, 12:51 PM   #1
Sure Shot Mc Gee

The things people say

FWIW. When at the Bench Rest area of my Club Range. Just tinkering with my 30-30 a couple days ago. I met a couple nice fellows enjoying their day like I was. Occasionally we three would get to talk'en while walking down range to change out our targets. And again on our coffee breaks. One fellow was an elder gent a few years older than I._ His son probably was in his late 40s or early 50s. I suppose you could call it a bonding day for those two. The older of the two was target shooting to the 50 yard mark and punching 50 cal P-RB holes with his Lyman Great Plains percussion. {A gorgeous looking rifle.} His son on the other hand had a T/C Renegade 50 cal an equally nice plain Jane rifle. But the son had it going on with a Peep and what looked to be T/C Break-A-way sabot using a cast bullet of some sort. When I was offered the chance to look thru the young mans spotting scope he indeed was shooting out to the 100 yard mark. And was doing quite well I would venture to say. (better accuracy then I expected to see.) There was lots of dry humor kidding & joking going on between those two. I didn't feel it was my place to comment on such tactics when asked too. Just a simple shrug I'd offer. Basically I just politely listened and commented when I thought it was appropriate. But their was a comment made by the Father that caused me to laugh openly. Out of the clear blue He said: "Its a Sacrilege that anyone would want too shoot a conical out of a Traditional rifle. This guy (pointing to his son) is a closeted want'a be Inline shooter."__ Honestly I just has to laugh. That comment due out smiles and laughter from his son even and the serious looking shooting guy next to them that was ease dropping on the conversation I suspect. Oh boy what a comment. Even so I enjoyed their company. I hope I run into those two again as they sure were entertaining. Ah Yes, just another one of them days spent at the Range._

So here's my question. Do you go and greet others who shoot at the same facility or range and perhaps start up a conversation with them?
Old September 26, 2013, 03:08 PM   #2
bedbugbilly

As my wife says to me . . quite often in fact . . . "you like to talk!"

I shoot on the farm during the summer so the only time I shoot at any kind of a organized range is when I'm in AZ during the winter - then it is at an indoor range with perhaps a dozen to fifteen lanes. Targets are hung on a auto retriever so there is no walking down range. However, some times there will be some one in there who will strike up a conversation. I have had some watch me as I'm shooting my vintage Colt or S & W 38 spl. I always invite them to give it a try if they'd like. Funny thing, most often it is someone older - closer to my age. The young ones are usually pretty focused on shooting their fancy semi-autos.

I really think that the conversations like you describe is what makes shooting such a great hobby. It provides the opportunity to meet new folks and for me, I learn a lot from them especially if they are shooting a firearm I'm not familiar with.

The only time I got irritated was when I was shooting a Python that I had picked up (great price and I got it for an investment). A guy kept watching me shoot it and I asked if he'e like to try it. He accepted and obviously really liked it as he offered to buy it on the spot. I declined and he kept raising his offer and making a pest of himself. Finally, I just had to get real firm and ask him "What is it you don't understand about the word NO?". He actually got irritated so I packed up and left - fortunately I've never run in to him again.

One of the greatest places I have ever been is at Friendship - I've been many times. It's pretty easy to get in to a conversation with another shooter down there and I've enjoyed many nights sitting around a campfire with strangers talking about shooting - and again, learning a lot. I've always said that when you meet someone down there, you are strangers but when you leave Friendship, you are friends. Hmmm . . . maybe that's why it's called Friendship?

Sure Shot - sounds like you had a great relaxing day at the range . . . it just doesn't get any better than that! Thanks for the story . . . it made my day!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 26, 2013, 03:08 PM   #3
rclark

If they are sharing the same area as I am. You bet. Make sure first we are all members ("Have your card with you?") and then what we are going to shoot at... You know get a feel on what they are doing and what you are doing and go from there. Sometimes ends up a long conversation before shooting actually commences . Sometimes even shooting the other guys revolver/pistol is the result . "Can I try that?" or "Hey, would you see how this shoots for you?" stuff.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old September 26, 2013, 04:58 PM   #4
madmo44mag

I run the Dallas / Ft. Worth shooting group for Texas Gun Owner (another internet forum) and I am always talking to strangers at the range.
We are a family oriented group and like to get the whole family out to the range.
Talking to folks comes natural to me so I tend to interject myself some time into other folks conversation. I have learned pretty well when to talk and when to listen.
In today’s political gun environment I encourage people to talk to each other and share ideas and views. I also encourage folks to share stories so that other may learn for mistakes and successes.
So do I strike up conversations at the range with strangers - you bet I do!
I guess I have said enough now and will sit down and listen – LOL!!!!
Old September 26, 2013, 08:08 PM   #5
Doc Hoy

These are the interchanges I miss....

....because I always shoot alone.

I always say that two people on the range is more than twice as dangerous as one.

But it is also true that two people on the range is more than twice as informative as one.

I have no intention of changing my habits, but for a long time I have known that my solitary ways have a cost.
Old September 26, 2013, 09:46 PM   #6
sltm1

Doc, I feel the same way, shooting isn't a group sport in my opinion.
Old September 27, 2013, 04:08 AM   #7
Hawg

I wouldn't even know where to start looking for a range.
Old September 27, 2013, 10:13 AM   #8
Beagle333

What is this range, of which you speak?

I just go out in the back yard and let the thunder roll!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old September 27, 2013, 10:50 AM   #9
Doc Hoy

The range

Is the big thing in the kitchen that I use to melt beeswax and lard for lube.

Nyuk nyuk nyuk
Old September 27, 2013, 10:52 AM   #10
PetahW

Although the range @ my gun club's usually deserted when I shoot weekday AM's (I'm retired), I'll always meet/greet another shooter if they happen to be there (being a fellow dues-paying club member).

My wife sometimes tells folks that I'll talk to a tree, so there it is.................

Old September 27, 2013, 11:23 AM   #11
Sure Shot Mc Gee

PetahW

Quote:
My wife sometimes tells folks that I'll talk to a tree, so there it is
I'll bet you got a better response from that tree than those with a heat beat at times. I know I have._
Old September 27, 2013, 11:47 AM   #12
Grant D

I was at the range the other day shooting my Beretta 92FS and Ruger LC9 and struck up a conversation with the gentelman in the next lane.

He said he had wanted to rent a Ruger LCP but they did'nt have one at the time to rent. So, I smiled, and pulled mine out of my back pocket,and said go ahead and empty the magazine, as I have a spare with me.

When I left the range and went into the store to pay, he was standing at the counter waving to me with a smile on his face, and held up his new LCP.

It's nice to be able to help out a fellow shooter.

( I also let him shoot the LC9, and the Beretta )
Old September 27, 2013, 12:39 PM   #13
shortwave

Like some here, I do do 99% of my shooting here at the house. I do enjoy the company of others while recreational shooting, especially the company of family.
If I'm trying to work out a specific shooting problem that has arisen or I'm practicing drills. Those times I prefer to be by myself as my concentration is better.
Old September 27, 2013, 02:42 PM   #14
Pahoo

It varies but mostly share ..

Quote:
So here's my question. Do you go and greet others who shoot at the same facility or range and perhaps start up a conversation with them?
Always as time and opportunity permits. However, I don't go much out of my way as I have to respect their time as well.
Quote:
If I'm trying to work out a specific shooting problem that has arisen or I'm practicing drills. Those times I prefer to be by myself as my concentration is better.
I too have times like this and prefer to go by myself. There are times when I go with buddies but those are just fun shoots and sharing times. When I go with them, I spend a lot of time trying to work out their problems. Outside of making minor adjustments, I don't like making repairs, in the field. Whenever I see another guy breaking out the tool-box and working on the bench, I usually give him plenty of room. ....

Then there are times when I just want to check a guns operation and make a quick stop on the way home from dinner. Bang, bang, bang and back in the car. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old September 28, 2013, 02:47 AM   #15
dlbarr

I'm kinda like Doc and some others...I like my solitude, but know it comes with a price. I will stop and talk with others but usually don't initiate it. Most often, I get approached because I'm the one who is shooting something a little out of the ordinary: a muzzleloading flintlock, C&B revolver(s), a single shot 45/70 loaded with (yes, again) black powder....

Many times people have stopped to admire an old TC Hawken of mine - it's hardly that anymore as the lock, triggers, barrel(s) have all been changed to aftermarket stuff, has a unique homemade aperture sight and the stock has been recut to fit me better. After looking it over, I've asked several lookers if they'd like to shoot it and nobody yet has turned me down.

I must admit, even though I don't start the conversations, these are enjoyable times and satisfying.
Old September 28, 2013, 06:06 AM   #16
wheelyfun

If I am shooting defensive pistols, I love to have the range to myself....

If I am shooting cowboy revolvers or target pistols.......I love to chat up people, trade guns for a few shots, and learn about some old-timer's rare rifle...

I have found the shooting community, by and large, to be generous and helpful
Old September 29, 2013, 07:06 AM   #17
brazosdave

i'm sorta like a previous poster, I don't normally initiate conversation, but I do shoot "out of the norm" guns, so naturally I have people get curious and gravitate over to watch and/or talk. I love talking about history, particularly about the guns and personalities of the 18th and 19th Century. My wife and I have let quite a few younger people, mainly military men, women, and their respective spouses shoot black powder for the first time in their lives. It seems like it gives them a lasting memory to do something like that, kind of like getting to do one of the hands on deals at old historical re enactment days. And it gives me an audience, lol!