The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 30, 2014, 10:03 AM   #1
Unlicensed Dremel

Selector switch on Stevens 612 Gold Wing SxS

I'm getting a Stevens 612 Gold Wing SxS 20g of manuf. about 4 years ago (sold it to my friend; now buying it back). These have been discontinued now (at least importing this model from Turkey and slapping a Stevens brand on it).

My issue with it is the selector switch / safety is "loosey goosey", meaning that not only does it slide left and right like it should, and forward and backward like it should, it also "yaws" or twists a bit on it's central axis both clockwise and counterclockwise, which doesn't inspire confidence.

Is this something a 'smith could like do an easy fix on, to make it feel more solid, or is that a tough fix?

Thanks.

Should I put this in gunsmithing instead?
Old October 30, 2014, 05:23 PM   #2
Creek Henry

Don't ship it back to Savage. They'll ship you back a 512. That's what happened to me anyway :)
Old November 8, 2014, 04:10 PM   #3
Unlicensed Dremel

Creek Henry - sorry to hear that - what ended up happening on that?

I have bought the 612 back which makes me happy, but sadly, though I had hoped that it would, this has NOT eliminated my desire for a Montefeltro Silver in 20 ga also. It's a nag that seems to be growing.... might turn into a "must have".

https://www.google.com/search?q=stev...+612+goldwing+

https://www.google.com/search?q=bene...ed=0CAgQ_AUoAw
Old November 9, 2014, 12:10 AM   #4
Creek Henry

The 612 is a fun little gun. I found it too whippy for me so I actually like the 512 better. It pattered too low so I put a shim on the rib. That annoys me but at least the 2 barrels hit to the same point of aim.

The Montereltro looks sweet too. Someday maybe...