The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 14, 2011, 01:44 AM   #26
62coltnavy

Thanks for the reference Mike. Did y'all notice that the 44 cal. cartidge carried only 18 grains of hazard's powder?
Old May 28, 2011, 01:53 PM   #27
darwins

Hawg, where do you find tea paper? I've searched the Internet a bit and I find most are pre folded into pouches. Is the tea paper you use flat or do you undo the pouches?

Thanks,
Darwin
Old May 28, 2011, 02:20 PM   #28
Hawg

I buy a box of cheap tea in flow thru bags and undo them.
Old May 31, 2011, 06:10 AM   #29
Mike Irwin
Staff

Coffee filters are almost the exact same type of paper as tea bags, so they should work just fine.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 31, 2011, 06:27 AM   #30
Maxem0815

"Coffee filters are almost the exact same type of paper as tea bags, so they should work just fine."

Now that is interesting I have been using cigarette paper for my pistol ctgs and tracing paper for Musket.
Old May 31, 2011, 02:56 PM   #31
Hawg

I think tea bags are more porous and they're not as stiff. I don't drink much coffee tho so they may work. Be worth a try.
Old May 31, 2011, 03:19 PM   #32
zxcvbob

Flash paper is low-grade nitrocellulose. The paper is nitrated using sulfuric/nitric acid mix, not saltpeter. (although you can substitute saltpeter or AN for the nitric acid in the nitrating bath.)

It's not something you really want to do, but here's a youtube video I found that describes the process. http://youtu.be/_utrFBo8DzY I would try coffee filters first. Keep some ice water handy to flood it with if the reaction starts to overheat.
Old May 31, 2011, 03:25 PM   #33
Hawg

You don't need to nitrate tea bags. They burn clean just as they are.
Old June 8, 2011, 06:26 PM   #34
Southron

HUH???

I have been shooting a Pedersoli New Model 1859 Sharps Carbine in RAPID FIRE N-SSA competition for ten years now. I just use Ladie's Hair Curling Papers and don't nitrate them. I use 40 grains of FFFg Black Powder.

In our Carbine Team Matches I rarely fire over 10 to 12 rounds "Rapid Fire" BUT....I have never had a "Cook Off" from jamming a fresh cartridge in the chamber of my Sharps the instant after firing the previous round.
Old August 31, 2013, 09:14 PM   #35
Chestnut Forge

Gordon's Stump Remover is 99% KNO3. Spectracide brand is 100%
Old September 8, 2013, 12:36 PM   #36
DD4lifeusmc

nitrate

I see a lot of Sharps owners and shooters here. I am trying to locate a source of nitrated (flash) paper to build cartridges for my reproduction Sharps rifle and carbine. Or, where can a person buy nitrate to make their own 'flash' paper. Since 9/11, this kind of stuff has gotten practically impossible to find for purchase. Or, am I looking in all the wrong places?
Also, does anyone make a bullet mold for .54 Sharps at an affordable price? If so, who?
I'm new to this forum and, new to breech loader b/p guns. I've had and used 'front loaders' for a good number of years, both percussion and flintlock, but I'm a newbie with a breechloader. Please bear with me.
------------------------------------------
you can buy the nitrate at lowes home center. Forget what it is maybe somebody here remembers.
Pedersoli makes a mould for the sharps. You can get from Dixie or possibles shop maybe others, but not cheap. Based on a Lyman style steel mould and a single cavity.
I have one and if you wish I can mould you some up.
I do both paper and metallic cartridge in my 1863,
I use plain old zig zag rolling paper. Quick and easy.
I spend more time at the 1858 remngton forum than here, so pm me there if you want.
Old September 8, 2013, 01:16 PM   #37
Hawg

Quote:
does anyone make a bullet mold for .54 Sharps at an affordable price? If so, who?
Dunno what you consider affordable. I got mine from Moose Molds. Double cavity for 125.00. It's a .575-490 ring tail but they make other sizes. Their webpage isn't up yet but they have a Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/MooseMoulds. Or contact Sandy at 267-229-1676 or [email protected]