The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 8, 2001, 01:41 PM   #1
CactusLaCroix

Silk as wadding?

Ok, so I know it's only a movie, but in The Last of the Mohicans, they claim that using a silk wad gives an extra 30 yards as far as effective range. Has anyone else ever heard of/tried this? It's basically just a curiousity as to whether or not it actually has any positive/negative effects. Thanks.
-Matt-
Old November 9, 2001, 09:35 AM   #2
jpm63

Fiction

Remember that the "last of the Mohicons" was a fictional book and the movie was even more so. Although I really loved both

Silk was used as a patching for Hawkeye's round ball, not as a wad. From everything I know of ML shooting, it would be a negative factor in shooting. Silk is very thin and usually a thicker patch gives better results.

Bottom line is any given rifle has a load of powder, patch, ball which works best for it. Any deviation from that usually results in lost accuracy. That said, the line sure sounded good in the movie.

JPM

PS. Go to walmart and buy some blue/white striped pillow ticking. It works really good and is cheaper than silk!
Old November 9, 2001, 11:49 AM   #3
CactusLaCroix

Yeah, patching; I'm sorry for misusing the terms, you can tell I'm not a hardcore muzzleloader (yet) . Thanks for the info though!
Old November 9, 2001, 07:36 PM   #4
Wildwilley

myth

It's a myth...
I mean that. If you use it you'll myth what your shootin' at.
I love the movie. (The uncut version.)
So I went and did it. I didn't myth by much, but I did.
Old November 13, 2001, 09:08 AM   #5
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

Love the movie and the sound track but the book is better. Far more gruesome then the film in its descriptions and gives a historical perspective that is for the most part forgotten. Native Americans most certainly were the masters of unconventional warfare in their day.

Wildwilley ... thanks for the chuckle

MOLON LABE !

I’m a G-CODE holster fan !
www.range5.com