The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 13, 2017, 03:03 PM   #26
pblanc

You can probably buy an entry level model 1911 like a Rock Island Armory for less than $400, change out the trigger, sear, hammer, disconnector and the sear spring, and with a little stoning of the sear and hammer, get an outstanding trigger for under $800.

But for a target pistol, an excellent trigger is only one piece of the puzzle. You are probably also looking at a National Match barrel, National Match barrel bushing, high quality adjustable sights, and maybe some slide to frame tightening as well.

From a financial standpoint, you are probably better going for a pistol that has most of the features needed for accuracy, then working on the trigger as necessary.
Old February 13, 2017, 03:16 PM   #27
Skans

Of all my guns, my favorite triggers are:

Sig X-Five
Browning Hi-Power (C-Series Belgian)
STI 2011 Custom
1970's Colt Gold Cup

Out of those four, the X-Five trigger is my favorite; then the Hi-Power (I think it must have had some work done to it). The other two are about equal.

My favorite DA/SA trigger is my Tanfoglio Stock 10mm. It's as close to a true single action in single action mode as I've experienced. This is compared to: Steyr GB, S&W 659, CZ 75B, Megastar 45
Old February 13, 2017, 04:33 PM   #28
223 shooter

Quote:
It needs to be accurate and have a single action trigger.
I went with the above mentioned Springfield Range Officer. The trigger breaks very cleanly right about 5lbs. For true one handed bullseye most probably shoot around a 3.5lb or so.
The accuracy has been quite good , the best of any factory semi-auto centerfire pistol I have owned.
Old February 13, 2017, 07:23 PM   #29
Quincy

Thanks guys. That makes me feel better, no doubt.
Old February 15, 2017, 09:37 AM   #30
dgludwig

You'll have to go used and you'll have to pay a little more than $800.00, but there's never been a semi-auto center-fire pistol that has a better sa trigger pull than the Smith & Wesson Model 52; a pistol designed for serious Bullseye competition.
Old February 16, 2017, 10:06 AM   #31
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Some folks feel that with a titanium firing pin and extra power firing pin spring, Series 70 pistols are drop-safe enough.
And SOME of us think they are drop safe enough exactly the way they were designed and built in 1911!

Skans, if you have a Hi-Power with a good trigger pull, it HAS had some work done on it, and done by someone who knew what they were doing!

Most of the replies have focused on the 1911 pattern guns, simply because the 1911 design is the service pistol that best lends itself to being adapted to a target gun.

Some years ago, I inherited my Father's Colt Government Model. Its a pre series 70 gun, that someone had some work done on in the late 60s. It has a sweet trigger, "Micro" adjustable sights, and if I do my part, will still keep 5 rounds in one ragged (approx. 2") hole at 25yds. A better shot could probably do even better with it.

There is another pistol I was going to mention, that no one else did, until this..
Quote:
You'll have to go used and you'll have to pay a little more than $800.00, but there's never been a semi-auto center-fire pistol that has a better sa trigger pull than the Smith & Wesson Model 52; a pistol designed for serious Bullseye competition.
I don't know what they go for today, no idea if you can find one close to your price point, but if you're looking for a TARGET pistol (not a match grade service pistol) you won't find a better one. .38 Special full wadcutter only. It's a match gun, nothing else, and a pretty good one.

Good Luck!
Old February 16, 2017, 08:38 PM   #32
Quincy

Well I've learned something, never heard of a S & W 52 or 952 until now. They seem to be upwards of $1200 or more for a -2. Very interesting, thank you.
Old February 16, 2017, 09:06 PM   #33
saleen322

Someone beat me to it but a Smith 52 will have a better trigger than any 1911 under 2K. I have a 52 and a 952. The price on 952s are out of sight but you will see a honest, shooter grade 52 under $1000 if you look around. The word around S&W was they lost money on the 52s because they would not let one out unless it was perfect and dog-nuts accurate. The only thing they shoot is 38 Special wadcutters but they are such a treat to shoot. Nothing else like them. YMMV