The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 29, 2017, 12:35 PM   #1
presspics

Would you do the trade?

Just looking for a quick consensus here. Someone has offered me a Colt Commander from 2011. Beautifully blued basic model. The trade would be my Glock 19 and Glock 30S for the Colt..

Thoughts?

Last edited by presspics; January 29, 2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old January 29, 2017, 12:51 PM   #2
Pahoo

A no-brainer

Quote:
The trade would be my Glock 19 and Glock 30S for the Colt..
This is a no-brainer for me. Go for the Colt !!! I can think about more reasons why "I" would but want to keep this short. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old January 29, 2017, 01:02 PM   #3
FITASC

Personally, I wouldn't give up two to get one unless you no longer shoot them. Maybe sell one and save up some cash and get the Colt outright. JMO
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 29, 2017, 01:04 PM   #4
tipoc

Used Colt Commander about $700. to $800. depending on where you live, condition and if anything comes with it. That's if it's stock and not messed with by a home gunsmith.

Those two Glocks together may be worth more than that though. Particularly with mags etc. $400. a piece as used guns? maybe a bit more?

So do some thinking. You can get a new Colt Commander for about $850. Have the fella throw in some extras. Holster? Ammo?

You're in NH so think NH prices.

tipoc
Old January 29, 2017, 01:07 PM   #5
Targa

Me? Not a chance. Like FITASC said, sell one and save for the Colt.
Old January 29, 2017, 01:07 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

A used Commander in .45 ACP or 9mm, runs a bit under a grand on GunAmerica. Somewhat less on Gun Broker. A basic .45 Commander alone can be had for $700.
Bit under $600 for a Glock 19 with 3 mags and the box. The 30S runs about $550 with 3 mags. Glock mags run around $30 each.
So what the Colt comes with matters. Lot of insane prices on both mentioned auction sites, but mags run around $60 each.
Don't think I'd part with 2 for one myself.
Old January 29, 2017, 01:13 PM   #7
presspics

Money wise I'm loosing a bit...and since the basic Commander won't do it for me as is I'll want to have the slide milled for Novak sights, a beavertail fitted, the front strap checkered....

I'm starting to talk myself out of it...
Old January 29, 2017, 01:23 PM   #8
Pahoo

My apologies

Quote:
Just looking for a quick consensus here.
Well I feel that I was too quick on the draw on my previous reply. Missed the part of the two for one. Even though I personally don't care for Glocks, I would take more time to measure this deal. If you want to Colt then I'd make a single trade and cash to boot. ......

My apologies and;
Be Safe !!!
Old January 29, 2017, 01:37 PM   #9
BearBrimstone

I would take the time to sell the Glocks then buy a new Colt if I really wanted one. I don't know about your area, but in my area the two used Glocks would sell for more than a new Colt Commander sells for.
Old January 29, 2017, 01:38 PM   #10
Cheapshooter

No. Selling, or trading one is bad enough. Why set yourself up for double regrets?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 29, 2017, 02:48 PM   #11
P71pilot

I say do it.

A new colt commander blued is about $900, used worth about $700

A new Glock 19 is what, $500, used about $350, the 30s probably about the same.

The values are pretty equal i think, if you want the colt go for it. I think a good 1911 is superior anyways
Old January 29, 2017, 02:53 PM   #12
reddog81

The values are probably equal or within the ballpark. Condition will matter more anything. If the Colt is beat up and the Glocks are like new I'd pass.
Old January 29, 2017, 03:34 PM   #13
geetarman

I would not do it. Nothing wrong with the Colt, but those two Glocks are really great guns. Save money, buy the Colt and keep the Glocks.

Carpe Cerveza
Old January 29, 2017, 08:46 PM   #14
CDR_Glock

Why end up in a deficit? Hahahaha. Additionally, the Glocks are a known entity for reliability.

I have a Colt 1911 but it has been an upgraded version by Mars Armament (Mars Armament T.H.U.G.). I don't care for factory 1911s unless the factory is Ed Brown, Wilson, STI, Nighthawk or Carolina Arms. If it is a standard Colt, you'll need some work so in the long run. So you'll have to put in more money and time into it, versus a Glock which really only needs an upgraded trigger and Tritium sights to be excellent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old January 30, 2017, 11:30 AM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

I'd trade two GLocks for a Colt, just to be rid of the GLocks!

It appears you will be better off $ wise if you sell the two outright, then buy the Colt. However, that will take more time than just doing a trade.

Money is important, but its not THE most important thing in life, to me, your opinion maybe different.
Old January 30, 2017, 11:33 AM   #16
tipoc

Without knowing much about the condition of the guns involved in the proposed trade it's hard to have a firm opinion. We also know nothing about what, if any, extras come with the guns. Those things make a difference.

If you want a Colt Commander I suggest just getting one and keeping the Glocks (or letting the 30s fade away).

I do have to disagree with something someone said earlier. The Colt Commander is a very good buy. There is no need to get a high end 1911 if you're looking for reliability. The Colt will provide that.

tipoc
Old January 30, 2017, 11:49 AM   #17
TxFlyFish

I'd say bad deal. you could sell your two glocks and buy a new and better colt. Also history shows that glock 19 are highly desirable and generally do not depreciate
Old January 30, 2017, 12:16 PM   #18
lee n. field

Quote:
Just looking for a quick consensus here. Someone has offered me a Colt Commander from 2011. Beautifully blued basic model. The trade would be my Glock 19 and Glock 30S for the Colt..

Thoughts?
Both guns? Probably not.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 30, 2017, 01:09 PM   #19
FITASC

Quote:
and since the basic Commander won't do it for me as is I'll want to have the slide milled for Novak sights, a beavertail fitted, the front strap checkered....
And how much MORE will that cost? And then you'd be without the Glocks AND the Colt while this is being done.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 30, 2017, 02:03 PM   #20
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by presspics
Thoughts?
In a heartbeat. You haven't done the deal yet? What are you waiting for?
Old January 30, 2017, 02:22 PM   #21
Skans

I would.
Old January 30, 2017, 02:24 PM   #22
ShootistPRS

Let me start by saying I am not a fan of the Glock platform and that the only experience I have had with a Colt 1911 was less than pleasant. I have no dog in this fight at all.

My first question is why would you trade two guns that work well for you for one gun that may or may not work well for you?

I am firmly on the side that if you want a gun then get it. I am also on the side that you almost never trade one for a new one. Buy the new one outright and you don't end up wishing you still had the one you gave up. If you have a gun that doesn't work for you then by all means trade it, sell it, or destroy it at your whim. Guns that feel comfortable and shoot well are too hard to find to trade for an unknown quantity.

Just my opinion - not a suggestion for anything more than to provoke thought.
Old January 30, 2017, 02:44 PM   #23
jackstrawIII

No deal.

Colt is cooler, but doesn't make "cents".
Old January 30, 2017, 02:59 PM   #24
JDBerg

I think you're giving up too much for that Colt Commander, although a 1911 commander length is definitely worth having. I'd keep the G19 and trade the 30s plus "real" money tor the Colt Commander. Full disclosure, I'm a G19 fan and owner, and a Ruger SR1911 commander fan and owner, but I'm not a fan of the G30s, my Gen4 G21 is a different story altogether so I'd look for a way to keep that G19 out of the trade.
Old January 30, 2017, 05:47 PM   #25
presspics

I didn't do the deal.. I would have been taking too much of a loss. I'll wait until I find the Colt I want rather than settle for less.