The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 31, 2011, 06:04 PM   #1
Doublea A

Any Experience with Scenario Targets?

I just ordered scenario targets from Letargets.com and I was wondering whether those that have used "scenario targets" have found out any improvement on shooting accuracy?

Thanks

For example scenario targets like this!
https://www.letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=LSAR-1

Last edited by Doublea A; July 31, 2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old July 31, 2011, 11:45 PM   #2
r_magill

I have shot at targets similar to the ones on letargets.com. To answer your question, my "bullseye" accuracy did not increase, but my ability to aim at and make good hits on a B.G. certainly increased. I found that the targets with the B.G. behind a barricade are especially good because they are a much smaller target.

Also, the first time I shot at these types of targets I was impressed with how difficult it is to distinguish between a firearm and some other object. I think they are a very useful training aid.
Old August 1, 2011, 12:48 AM   #3
T. O'Heir

Hi. The target you use has nothing whatever to do with improving accuracy. Training, ammo and regular practice with that ammo can and will though.
The only possible use for a target like that is to train your mind for shooting at people. A lot of ranges and clubs don't allow targets like those either.
In any case, if a criminal already has a firearm pointed at you, you're in trouble. It takes far less time to pull a trigger than it does to recognize a threat, draw and shoot, accurately, under that extreme kind of stress.
Old August 1, 2011, 01:09 PM   #4
Sleuth

Those targets can help condition you to pointing guns at a person, as well as evaluation of the threat.
I think the best way to use them is with some like minded friends. One guy sets up several targets, unseen by the shooter(s). You turn around to find everyone else shooting, while you have a guy holding a cell phone! Then you set them up for the rest of the group.
They are even better if you have a 'shoot house' or 'jungle lane', where shooters never know what may lie around the next corner. But that takes some serious planning and supervision for safety.

BTW, if you patch them with clear tape, they are useable longer.
Old August 1, 2011, 02:28 PM   #5
Sefner

Quote:
Those targets can help condition you to pointing guns at a person, as well as evaluation of the threat.
This is interesting. I have never been comfortable using realistic targets. Silhouettes are fine, but the one in OP's pic would give me second thoughts before I decided to take it to the range. Something about shooting at people for practice makes me uncomfortable. I've read that some ranges ban realistic targets altogether (although for probably different reasons). I'll shoot the hell out of a zombie target though

For threat evaluation I make my own targets. Get a 1000' roll of butcher paper and two sheets of heavy posterboard. Cut a silhouette, gun, hands, and cell phone out of the posterboard to use as templates. Then go to town with that cheap $2.50 can of spray paint you get at Walmart. Customizable (module, even) targets for pennies.
Old August 1, 2011, 02:56 PM   #6
Sleuth

Sefner, if you are reluctant to shoot a paper images of people, don't you think this could cause hesitation in a real situation, giving the advantage to the bad guy?

Barrett Tillman is the source of the oft quoted line:
"In an emergency, you will not rise to the occasion, but default to your level of training."

Heck, I don't even like the FBI 'bowling pin' target, nor the FLETC blue & green 'blob' targets. We are not worried about attacks by "The Blob", but by people. We need to be conditioned to shoot at people who are trying to harm us!
Old August 1, 2011, 04:41 PM   #7
Doublea A

To Sleuth,
One of the reasons that I wanted to use these scenario targets is to find out whether they cause an increase in adrenaline when shooting at the range. I believe it is more realistic than the non-realistic body posture targets like a bullseye.

Bullseye targets has it place but in terms of a self-defense situation, how shooting bullseye targets at the range helps is difficult to tell because the zombie you are shooting at does not look like anything you had been practicing on IMHO. So I agree that this could make a person hesitate in the presence of a deadly confrontation.
Old August 1, 2011, 06:59 PM   #8
raimius

A couple interesting things about scenario targets. First, people tend to shoot when they "see" a gun. It might be a beer can though! Second, once a gun is identified, people tend to shoot at that, rather than a more logical place on the attacker. Third, it can slow you down, since the target is no longer symmetrical nor is the best place always the center.
Old August 1, 2011, 10:09 PM   #9
armoredman

We use many of these targets in training, but there are several new ones there - I want to try those 3D ones!