The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old April 7, 2005, 02:21 AM   #26
Nnobby45

Right, MONCO

If it offends you, throw it away and don't read the parts that might save your life. Sell it to TJ, since I've had one for years.

Border was a tough place back then. At night a gun could be in your face in an instant and there wasn't always a lot of time to "evaluate things". Agents worked alone or in pairs and handled things on their own--but they did their job. Bill Jordan was "good enough to ride the River with".
Old April 7, 2005, 06:28 AM   #27
Model520Fan

Let him who is without stones cast the first guilt.
Old April 7, 2005, 11:29 AM   #28
monco

Sorry I started this thread. I made what I thought were valid criticisms of Jordan's book and got called a cop hater and now get inflammatory PMs. I take it all back. All cops are right all the time. Let the lead fly...God will sort 'em out. Or something.

Get over yourself haskell. Some people don't like being called cop haters in public forums, esp. when it's unwarranted. I think it's wrong to shoot innocent people and casually toss an alibi piece, and I hate seeing anyone put a .45 through their head, criminal or not. I guess that makes me a "cop hater"

Last edited by monco; April 7, 2005 at 12:01 PM.
Old April 8, 2005, 02:52 AM   #29
Nnobby45

Monco--In the dark, the language barrier, the fact that Border Patrol officers had been killed-- never knowing who had a gun or knife-- or would take yours and kill you with it--were things the Border Patrol had to live with. After it was over, the suspect may have been unarmed, but that doesn't mean they just went around "shooting innocent men and throwing down a gun." Doesn't mean the deceased was "innocent", either.
Old April 8, 2005, 06:05 AM   #30
Sarge

Quote:
I'm sure those here justifying LE planting a gun on an innocent person to cover up what may be, given the benefit of a doubt, a tragic mistake, or at worst a crime, are joking. at least I hope you are.
Sammy nailed it for me. I'll make it a little clearer.

I've been a cop a long time. This "throw down gun" crap was wrong when Jordan was advocating it, and it's wrong today. This is called "tampering with evidence" or "hindering prosecution" in most jurisdictions, and it's usually a felony. When cops commit offenses against the administration of justice, the whole system turns upside down. These things need to be identified for what they are- FLAT wrong.

If you're gonna carry a gun, you better have the training and judgement to to use it well- and the guts to face the music afterward.

The book is well worth reading- but Jordan, despite his many contributions to law enforcement weapons and equipment, did NOT walk on water.
Old April 8, 2005, 09:11 AM   #31
monco

Bravo, invssgt!!
Old April 8, 2005, 11:36 AM   #32
haskell

Central Ohio

OK Monco,This will be my swan song. You have called me an a---hole and you hate me,and "get over myself" in a public forum. You have alluded that I sent you an inflammatory PM. That PM stated that I thought we were having a spirited debate. Yes I told you that you have not been alive long enough to say that in a public forum. Yes I said ---- you in that private message.

You seem to have a problem keeping your temper. If an exchange of banter sends you over the edge, I hope you never become a POLICE OFFICER. What if some dark rainy night you saw what you thought was a weapon and with your quick to jump attitude. Well. Should you have firearms now with your quick temper.

You got angry over a book written 35 yrs ago by a man who has been dead almost 8 yrs. You felt bad for a man who shot a cop outside a full school yard. Don't bother to respond you little jerk, I'm off this forum. Thanks much to those who helped me out in the past. "Where did the Hood Go"
Old April 8, 2005, 01:55 PM   #33
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

PMs are exactly what the name implies--personal--the contents of which should not be brought public. This one's closed to prevent any piling on--on either side.

Denny
Closed Thread