The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 28, 2005, 04:41 AM   #1
boston strangler

TDI Knife Defense Class - Review

TDI Knife Defense Class - Review

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One April 26th I attended the TDI Knife Defense class held by the South East Area Law Enforcement (SEALE) Academy run by Bedford PD. The instructors were John Benner and Greg Ellifritz. We went over different types of knives, locking mechanisms, methods of opening/deploying, the 8 slashes, the 4 stabs. A significant amount of time was spent covering our current carry knives and how they compared to the TDI Knife. The most eye opening was a drill using ballons and a shot timer. No matter what type of knife was used the TDI was faster and more secure (grip). Cardboard and foam/duct-tape targets were also used with live blades. The class included some "mild" force on force. Weapon retention drills were covered and reinforced using the TDI Knife. Also discussed were wound enhancing techniques. I also got to check out the pre-production Ka-Bar TDI Knive Trainer and , much to my surprise, the Blue Creek Tool Benner/BCT Knife. The Benner/BCTK is 3/16" or 1/4" thick (didn't have calipers) of black powder coated D2 steel, a cord wrapped handle and size wise is what the Ka-Bar version would be with MLB levels of steroids. John Benner stated the the Ka-Bar trainer should be ready in a month or so and that Ka-Bar would also be releasing a larger TDI Knife as well. The Blue Creek Tool knife is currently available.

Overall the class was excellent to say the least. John Benner was polite, knowledgable and reminded me of a friendly grandpa. He was even encouraging of my carrying a revolver instead of giving me the retarded look I usually get. John went so far as to extoll the virtues of the revolver for ECQC. Greg Ellifritz was also very good. He was enthusiastic and had that smile and look in his eyes that made you feel uneasy-he liked this stuff way too much.

I would recommend this class to everyone in LE and I plan on passing what I learned to my fiance. It is really very simple and brutally effective. I had alot of fun.