The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 14, 2018, 09:48 AM   #1
Countryboy90

Savage 16 FCSS vs Ruger American Predator

So I am looking at getting a new rifle. I have narrowed it down to eithe the Savage FCSS 16 in 7mm-08 or the Ruger American Predator in 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor. Through sportsman guide I can get the 6mm-08 FCSS for $500 which I think is a good deal but am intrigued by the Ruger American Predator. In 6.5 Creedmoor I can get the Predator in Stainless for $500 which is the same price as the Savage FCSS or I can get the blues for $80 cheaper. Is the FCSS a better quality rifle? If I get up in the 6.5 or 308 calibers in the FCSS the price is almost $700. What are y’alls thoughts?
Old December 14, 2018, 09:01 PM   #2
Saltydog235

I bought my son a RAP in 6.5cm for Christmas last year, topped it with a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9X40 and have been very impressed with the rifle. I own Savages too and all of them have had exceptional accuracy but to me, they just feel cheap and sloppy no matter the configuration. Weird too because every time I squeeze the trigger on game it goes bang flop or you hear the ring on steel. I don’t think you go wrong either way, though I’m not a fan of the Accutrigger, replaced mine with Timney triggers.
Old December 14, 2018, 11:18 PM   #3
hounddog409

I am a huge fan of the 7mm-08. It's my preferred deer gun and is the most accurate I have owned.

I am not a fan of savage and prefer ruger over savage by a wide margin, so its a hard call or me.

For budget rifles, I always suggest T/C bolts.

I have one in 7mm-08 that I paid $400 for new. Its the most accurate rifle I own. And I paid significantly more for the other rifles. One is a pre 64 M70. It is very accurate, but the T/C is more so.