The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 9, 2018, 08:53 AM   #26
hounddawg

I am trying to get the group size down on a CZ .22 right now and was thinking about padding my barrel channel on the stock and ran across this in my searches

https://www.longrangehunting.com/art...the-neck.1220/

Quote:
The issue seems to be barrels that are mass produced and hastily threaded cockeyed or off center. Believe it or not almost every factory barrel has a curve or bend to it, in fact mass produced barrels are more often than not less-than perfectly straight.
Old November 9, 2018, 09:55 AM   #27
Picher

I love my Sight-Align range vise. I can shoot one shot on a large paper target at, say 50 yards from a good benchrest setup, then clamp the rifle in the vise and adjust the vertical vise screw to bring the crosshairs to the aim point and slide the rig to coincide with the bull center.

Then, just make scope changes to have the reticle move to where you want it to be in relation to the bullet hole. Then, just take the rifle out of the vise and shoot it from the benchrest. If you didn't move things when adjusting the scope, the next round(s) shot should be right where you want it/them at that distance. If not, it should be so close that you can take a few clicks to get it just right.

Another good thing about using the vise is that you can quickly tell, when looking through the scope and making adjustments, whether there are any problems with the crosshair adjustments, or whether you've run out of the adjustment range.

The name of the vise has changed over the years, but it's the same unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kxd2X1MS7o

Last edited by Picher; November 9, 2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old November 9, 2018, 11:07 AM   #28
hounddawg

that's known as a Texas zero in my area. You don't really need a vise. Just a bags, rest or bipod so you can rest the rifle while you tweak the scope. Once you are on paper you can zero a scope in 2 - 4 rounds perfectly.

http://bestriflescopereview.net/how-...a-rifle-scope/