The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 2, 2018, 04:58 PM   #1
Real Gun

Trimming revolver brass

I trim my brass with the intent of getting a consistent crimp but have just discovered that the brass shrinks during firing and lengthens during sizing. That is important in determining when to measure and trim. I now decap and size in prepping rimmed revolver brass. Only after that do I check the case length and trim to my desired length. Brass I have measured and trimmed before will have to all be redone, because fired brass is going to load longer than it is before sizing, and brass segregated for shorter length may size out right on nominal...probably where it originated.

I came upon this realization with a batch of tumbled 45 Colt, which I was pretty sure had been loaded in spec but now too short, measured after cleaning. The only glitch came when finding the trimmer buttons on my Hornady trimmer were tight when presented with sized brass, so In some cases, certainly 45 Colt, I had to use the button guide for the next smaller caliber, my 44-40 setup. I suppose I could trim brass that was expanded but not flared.

That's my current story.
Old November 2, 2018, 05:07 PM   #2
LE-28

I learned about that the same way when I started loading handgun rounds a long time ago. I had trimmed about 300 .357 mag brass and trimmed them before resizing them. Luckily I trimmed them long. Then tried to run them through a progressive set up for the shorter length.

Didn't go well and I had to resize them all and trim them all over again. That took all the fun out of it.
Old November 2, 2018, 05:48 PM   #3
Dufus

I have found it necessary to trim some of my pilots. I use crocus cloth to gently work them to correct diameter.
Old November 2, 2018, 07:02 PM   #4
pwc

Chuck case trimmer in drill, lock trigger back and use crocus cloth 1500 grit.....less than 45 sec; measure often.
Old November 2, 2018, 07:21 PM   #5
USSR

Always trim after resizing. That being said, the only revolver brass I trim is my precious .38 Special wadcutter brass, and that only to prevent splits in the case mouth.

Don
Old November 2, 2018, 07:41 PM   #6
gwpercle

I read the "always trim after resizing" stuff but the necks won't slip over the pilot , so I trim then size....no big deal.
After 50 years I discovered with straight sided pistol ammo there's no need to do all that measuring and trimming after the first initial get them all nearly the same length trim...
After that you just wasting your precious time.
Old November 2, 2018, 08:31 PM   #7
Real Gun

Quote:
After 50 years I discovered with straight sided pistol ammo there's no need to do all that measuring and trimming after the first initial get them all nearly the same length trim...
After that you just wasting your precious time.
That would be okay if no one else's brass creeps into your rotation. I shoot cowboy, so rifle brass is picked off the ground and could potentially be anyone's returned to me. I measure everything and sort head stamps. I am pretty particular about the appearance of my roll crimps.
Old November 2, 2018, 08:37 PM   #8
Real Gun

Quote:
I read the "always trim after resizing" stuff but the necks won't slip over the pilot , so I trim then size....no big deal.
If I did it that way, I would expect the brass to grow after sizing, probably .005 or so. I would have to anticipate that in the desired trim length when trimming before sizing. What I did is adjust an expander so it didn't bell. I was using a case feeder, and the press had only a sizer and expander mounted. This evening I did all my unloaded/fired 357 brass and ended with length categories .005 longer than I had been using but which were actually what was being reloaded after sizing. So now I have to load with the sizer die removed. That certainly will make cycling the press easier without that resistance. I don't size new, unprimed brass, so that works too without the sizer with decapper.
Old November 3, 2018, 07:21 AM   #9
1100 tac

For over 40 years I have sized and then trimmed. If the pilot was too big I simply polished it down. In my early years I did this with a drill and sandpaper on a file if the pilot was hardened. Just lightly clamped the drill motor in a vise. Nowadays I own a small machine shop.

"one size fits all" doesn't, and many times you just have to "adjust" things.
Old November 3, 2018, 07:56 AM   #10
FITASC

For over 35 years I have NEVER trimmed pistol brass. Have never had an issue with 38s, 357, 32acp, 32swl, 45acp or 9mm. Don't intend to add that boring chore into the mix now.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 3, 2018, 08:54 AM   #11
Real Gun

This isn't about what you might think of trimming revolver brass. It is about things to consider when you do. Please don't feel the need to pee on the campfire.
Old November 3, 2018, 10:34 AM   #12
Don Fischer

I've never had to trim a pistol case. Rifle case's stretch on sizing because the neck get's pulled back over the expander button.
Old November 3, 2018, 10:48 AM   #13
Real Gun

Note that I only referred to revolver brass, i.e. when needing a quality roll crimp. It has never occurred to me to trim semi-auto brass or any other brass that headspaces on the case mouth. However, feeding issues would be cause to check with a gauge or barrel chamber. Checking brass alone with a gauge, never mind the bullet, would be more valid and representative after sizing.
Old November 3, 2018, 11:18 AM   #14
BBarn

I occasionally trim my revolver brass, mostly to equalize the lengths for a more uniform crimp. But some do grow, depending on the caliber and load, and do require trimming to keep them in spec.

I trim after sizing, reducing the trimmer pilot OD as needed.

Last edited by BBarn; November 3, 2018 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Added trim after sizing statement.
Old November 3, 2018, 11:57 AM   #15
mikld

I guess I'm a "real life" reloader as I don't pay a lot of attention to theory or forum "intelligence", I do/use what works for me, in real life. If I were to trim straight sided cases, I would do it as the last case forming/processing step, besides deburring. I have never found the "trim to insure consistent crimping" theory to apply in real life, or with any measurable effects on handloads (consistent velocity or accuracy). When I was shooting a lot, my untrimmed .44 Magnum ammo gave me -2" groups at 50' (indoor range) and many 2-2 1/2 inch groups at 20-25 yards (outdoors at an unimproved range). If one wants to trim revolver/straight walled brass then they should trim, but I'd suggest after sizing...

Last edited by mikld; November 5, 2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old November 3, 2018, 12:10 PM   #16
F. Guffey

Trimming brass:

Trimming brass: I crimp pistol rounds, I am the fan of having cases that are the same length and I adjust my dies ever time I use them.

So I made a case measuring tool that can not be commercial enough to interest reloaders. I have too many pistol cases to frim so I sort by length when I load.

F. Guffey
Old November 3, 2018, 04:12 PM   #17
Unclenick
Staff

As a broad rule of thumb, cases fired at less than approximately 30,000 psi (varies with the case design) don't usually grow, and a lot of them that are much below that pressure can actually shrink with each reloading cycle. The growth mechanism requires them to stick to the chamber by friction harder than the force caused by pressure on the head has to be pushed to stretch the brass at the pressure ring, where it is thick enough not to expand enough to stick to the chamber. I followed the surviving cases of one lot of .45 Auto brass I had through 50 reloads, and they ended up 0.025" shorter than when they started out as new cases, all without trimming. The brass would just back up in the chamber and get wider and shorter and resizing would not quite bring it back 100%.

How wide and short a case is and how much it will grow with resizing can vary depending on the chamber it was fired in and the thickness and hardness off the brass and the pressure that was reached. Cases don't all change shape the exact same amount during firing. As a result, trimming after resizing is the only way to know they will not change length before being reloaded, and that helps with crimping consistency.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 3, 2018, 09:34 PM   #18
cw308

I always trim after sizing , why would you trim first then size which would change the length. To get the proper roll crimp on revolver cases the length must be the same . I have had the pilot on the cutter feel pretty tight probably do to case thickness , try some dry lube inside the necks , I see no harm in shaving down the pilot then polish .
Old November 4, 2018, 09:53 AM   #19
Real Gun

Quote:
I always trim after sizing , why would you trim first then size which would change the length. To get the proper roll crimp on revolver cases the length must be the same . I have had the pilot on the cutter feel pretty tight probably do to case thickness , try some dry lube inside the necks , I see no harm in shaving down the pilot then polish .
Since I sized on a progressive, I included an expander set to not flare, so the pilot fit is no longer an issue. Other than seating, that also presents the cases with the two greatest stresses that could effect length before trimming.

BTW trimming before sizing happens when you haven't yet realized that brass grows during sizing and shrinks at some point before reloading, particularly possible when you don't reload for necked cartridges in rifles and are not mindful of different factors in play there. In other words, ignorance becomes wisdom at some point.
Old November 4, 2018, 06:57 PM   #20
larryf1952

Quote:
I always trim after sizing , why would you trim first then size which would change the length. To get the proper roll crimp on revolver cases the length must be the same . I have had the pilot on the cutter feel pretty tight probably do to case thickness , try some dry lube inside the necks , I see no harm in shaving down the pilot then polish.
Yes, it all seems so logical, doesn't it? To get a uniform roll crimp on a straight walled revolver case, all of the cases MUST be the same length. I found this out a long, long time ago, when some case mouths barely crimped at all, while others rolled clear up under the crimping ledge in the die and distorted when I forced the ram through its stroke.

Hmmm...said I. What ever could be the problem? Then, I had a revelation! Why, all of these cases must need to be the same length! I had a new and profound understanding of physics. I was proud of myself. I began to resize and then trim, and life was good.

Old November 4, 2018, 08:43 PM   #21
USSR

Quote:
...some case mouths barely crimped at all, while others rolled clear up under the crimping ledge in the die and distorted when I forced the ram through its stroke.
I'd take a serious look at your seating die if I were you. Straight wall cases that are a couple of thousand shorter or longer just don't do that. I've been reloading for 40 years without trimming handgun cases and never have seen anything like you just described.

Don
Old November 4, 2018, 09:43 PM   #22
Real Gun

Quote:
I've been reloading for 40 years without trimming handgun cases and never have seen anything like you just described.
Loading revolver ammo with a roll crimp is the relevant experience here. 40 years of 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP wont' tell you much.

As far as precision, I have been working with a nominal length +-.003. A case that falls within that range does not get trimmed. It could probably be more generous. Cases vary more than that, and thus the trimming.

I also have a 19-4 that likes brass that is .010 shorter than what will run in my other guns. I have to measure everything to keep them sorted.
Old November 5, 2018, 11:35 AM   #23
mikld

FWIW, one time long ago I measured about 40, mixed mfg., a few times reloaded 44 Magnum cases. The length difference hovered around .005" (.004 +/- .002"), which had no visible/measurable effect on crimp (Redding profile and RCBS roll crimp dies). Velocities didn't vary more than with new, trimmed brass, and accuracy was very close, the same. I understand that in theory consistent case lengths can make for consistent crimps, but in all my reloading for revolvers, made no difference. Not condemning trimming revolver brass, but just sharing my experiences to give a new reloader that may be following this thread all info....
Old November 5, 2018, 11:50 AM   #24
Real Gun

I found significant variation in 357 Magnum and absolutely among 38 Special head stamps. This morning I checked my Starline 327 Federal Magnum, fired brass, and it grew a pretty consistent .008-.010 during sizing and cursory expansion, with only a handful that needed trimming to nominal from outside the +.003 range. That cartridge gives me the most gauging rejects, mitigated with a shorter COL (case length moving the crimp groove back).

I have not advocated anything but merely shared my experience and what I do in my reloading. I have no doubt that most untrimmed cases would work, but I have one revolver that is case length sensitive, needing to move the bullet back slightly relative to the crimp groove, and a 357 rifle that needs a COL under a maximum.

Note that Hornady does the same thing in order to get certain bullet profiles to function.
Old November 5, 2018, 02:48 PM   #25
USSR

Quote:
I've been reloading for 40 years without trimming handgun cases and never have seen anything like you just described.

Quote:
Loading revolver ammo with a roll crimp is the relevant experience here. 40 years of 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP wont' tell you much.
Sorry, Real Gun, but I was referring to .38 Special, .357 Magnum, and .45 Colt, all of which use a roll crimp. Such a massive variance in results as you described over a few thousands shorter or longer case is indicative of something else going on either with your die or your procedure.

Don