The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 14, 2005, 08:23 PM   #1
DanV1317

electronic or manual?

I'm trying to decide between an electronic dispenser and scale or a manual dispenser with an electronic scale setup. I'm doing this for speed, but also want some accuracy. I am doing it for a turret press, so a progressive is out of the question. I just need some Electronic dispenser vs. Manual dispenser arguments and which models work best. Thanks
Dan
Old June 14, 2005, 08:58 PM   #2
jsinon

I love my electronic dispensor/scale combo. Just program the charge weight and hit the dispense button and out comes another charge. Then all you do is hit the dispense button for another charge unless you change the charge weight. Call me lazy, but it does save time. I to use a turret press so I want to save time were I can.
Old June 14, 2005, 09:39 PM   #3
Wildalaska

I love my Lyman 1200

WildcheckoutgroupsAlaska
Old June 15, 2005, 01:47 AM   #4
ocabj

I used to be a supporter of beam scales. But I think electronics are getting better all the time (and cheaper). I ended up converting to the Pact Pro and never looked back. I still have my RCBS 5-0-5. Solid scale.

As far as dispensers, electronic dispensers will do a lot of the hassle work for you. The problem with volumetric measures is that it's impossible for a measure to throw the exact same powder charge every time. Even high end Harrell measures. The electronic combo will measure it one and verify it every time. It's as if you hand scooped and measured each charge, except the electronics do it for you.