The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 9, 2017, 10:31 AM   #1
wheelgunner70

easy to rack

As a senior with advancing arthritis I'm finding my M&P bodyguard 380 increasingly difficult to rack. In fact far more so than my 9mm Taurus Slim. But the bodyguard, being lighter to carry and conceal in hot weather, not to mention being lighter, is still my preferred carry in the summer months. My question is if anyone has any experience with the new LCP II and the Remington RM380. Both are light and reputed to have easy to rack slides. My local GS's do not have any in stock for me to actually try racking. Being as I have to watch my SS pennies I don't want to buy and then be stuck trying to sell a pistol that doesn't do any better than my BG380. Sorry for the long post.
Old August 9, 2017, 11:44 AM   #2
T. O'Heir

Change ammo and springs. Mind you, the advancing arthritis is going to make shooting anything painful. Contact Galloway Precision and talk to 'em about it. They do aftermarket parts for Bodyguards.
https://gallowayprecision.com/contact-us/
Old August 9, 2017, 12:19 PM   #3
smee78

Two of the easiest to rack guns I came across in the LGS I part timed at was the Bersa 380 and the Ruger SR22. We sold a lot of them due to it being easier to rack the slide. I know these are a little bigger then you looking for but most of the small 380's will have a stronger recoil spring.
Old August 9, 2017, 12:25 PM   #4
RickB

Try a compact 9mm.
Locked-breech guns don't need recoil springs as stout as those in blowbacks.

If the gun doesn't have to be tiny, to fit in a pocket, check out the Walther CCP.
It uses a gas-retard system that requires a relatively light recoil spring.
It's also cheap.
Old August 9, 2017, 12:30 PM   #5
wheelgunner70

I appreciate the responses. I fear I failed to make my question clear. I'm ok with recoil it's racking the slide that's my issue. Most days I lack the strength to rack the slide on the bodyguard. Not an issue during practice as I purchased a Handiracker but could become a problem in a self defense situation. I know Beretta makes a .32 with a tip up barrel eliminating the need for racking slide but I would prefer to stay at .380 as my minimum self defense caliber at least for now.
Old August 9, 2017, 01:17 PM   #6
cc-hangfire

I have been on a quest to find the perfect .380 for my wife, a woman in her mid-fifties with very low hand strength. So I acquired the following handguns – not all are suitable for pocket carry like your S&W Bodyguard. I list them below in order of easiest-to-rack to most-difficult-to-rack. Note that any of these that have an exposed hammer become easier to rack it you cock the hammer first:

1. Walther PK380 – no, it’s not the best quality or most reliable, but it is like the P22 that my wife loves
2. SIG P238
3. Bersa Thunder 380 CC – tie for 3rd
4. Remington RM380 – tie for 3rd
5. CZ 83 (in my “collection” but she didn’t like it)
6. Imez IJ-70A (in my “collection” but she didn’t like it)
7. Glock 42
8. Walther PPK/S
9. Ruger LCP (the original, not the LCP2 – I don’t have one of those)
10. Kel-Tec P3AT (this one is my pocket EDC)

With her hand size and hand strength, the ones she is considering are the PK380, SIG, Bersa, Remington, and Glock (she really has a hard time racking this striker fired gun, but likes shooting it)

Hope that helps.
Old August 9, 2017, 01:34 PM   #7
CDR_Glock

Sig Sauer P238 HD. My 7 year old could rack it. I'm sure you can,9 too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old August 9, 2017, 01:43 PM   #8
JDBerg

http://www.springfield-armory.com/xde-series/

This new Springfield XD-E is very easy to rack
Old August 9, 2017, 02:29 PM   #9
cw308

I have a Colt 70 series the one with the collet barrel bushing that is a beast to rack. . I thought it could be the recoil spring & collet bushing . Changed both did not change a thing . I feel its the hammer spring. I have to cock it to rack the slide. Definitely not a carry piece the way it is
My carry is a Colt New Agent in 45acp. Very smooth activating auto.
Old August 9, 2017, 02:57 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

The perfect .380 for my wife is the one she picks, not you. Take her shopping. However, her very low hand strength is going to be an issue with any pistol.
Old August 9, 2017, 03:00 PM   #11
roashooter

one to take a look at....not cheap....but being a locked breech...is much easier to rack...and the one we have.(wifes)...has been 100% reliable...

Browning 1911-380
Old August 9, 2017, 03:05 PM   #12
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelgunner70 View Post
I appreciate the responses. I fear I failed to make my question clear. I'm ok with recoil it's racking the slide that's my issue. Most days I lack the strength to rack the slide on the bodyguard. Not an issue during practice as I purchased a Handiracker but could become a problem in a self defense situation. I know Beretta makes a .32 with a tip up barrel eliminating the need for racking slide but I would prefer to stay at .380 as my minimum self defense caliber at least for now.
What size gun are you looking for?

The easiest I personally have experience with is a Gen 3 Glock 19. If a .22 is OK, Ruger Mark whatever.

I read the the Walther CCP is very easy to rack. Yes, there are other issues, and a recall.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 9, 2017, 03:11 PM   #13
WC145

Check this out - http://www.bamcollc.com/products.html - it was designed and developed by a gunsmith friend of mine. Works with any auto and really makes a difference, I've tried it and it really does make it easier to rack slides.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old August 9, 2017, 05:56 PM   #14
Bart Noir

Rick, the OP is using a Bodyguard 380 which is certainly a locked breach pistol. As are many of the others of that size. And yes, it takes a firm yank to cycle the slide.

After watching my father get weaker in his grip, I've been more attuned to the subject. So I am delighted with the ease with which I can cycle the slide on the new XD(E). Especially as I can check the big loaded chamber indicator, and then safely cock the hammer (unloaded gun, as I just checked). The slide moves back amazingly easily when the hammer is already cocked.

But this is not a pocket pistol like the Bodyguard, LCP etc.

Bart Noir
Old August 9, 2017, 06:04 PM   #15
pkevinb

I bought this http://www.handi-racker.com/ for my sister and she loves it
Old August 9, 2017, 08:01 PM   #16
stephen426

Have you considered a revolver? I took a couple of ladies shooting and they had a hard time racking most of my guns. They only one they were able to rack fairly well was my full size 1911 in 9mm. I guess the heavier slide and weaker cartridge does not require a powerful spring.
Old August 10, 2017, 11:58 AM   #17
wheelgunner70

slide racking

I really appreciate all of the suggestions. Good to know the RM380 is up there on the list of easy to rack pistols. The Sig unfortunately is out as I'm on a limited Social Security income. I'm considering the RM380 and LCP II as they fall into my budget scale, are reputed to be easier to rack(LCP II supposedly 27% easier than the original LCP) and are light weight. The remington is the same weight as my bodyguard and the LCP is 2 ounces lighter. I own a 642 airweight but like the flatness of the pistols over the revolver. I may just have to make the 40 mile trip to the big city and do a hands on test. Thanks again everyone.
Old August 10, 2017, 12:04 PM   #18
adamBomb

Quote:
Most days I lack the strength to rack the slide on the bodyguard.
The LCP 2nd gen is harder to rack than the bodyguard in my opinion. The bodyguard is probably the easiest of all of my guns.

If you are having problems racking the slide I am not sure another pistol is going to solve your problem, especially if you hands continue to get weaker. The 642 you own is your best option.

Last edited by adamBomb; August 10, 2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old August 10, 2017, 01:46 PM   #19
cc-hangfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelgunner70 View Post
I really appreciate all of the suggestions. Good to know the RM380 is up there on the list of easy to rack pistols. The Sig unfortunately is out as I'm on a limited Social Security income. I'm considering the RM380 and LCP II as they fall into my budget scale, are reputed to be easier to rack(LCP II supposedly 27% easier than the original LCP) and are light weight. The remington is the same weight as my bodyguard and the LCP is 2 ounces lighter. I own a 642 airweight but like the flatness of the pistols over the revolver. I may just have to make the 40 mile trip to the big city and do a hands on test. Thanks again everyone.
I believe you'll like the RM380. I really like mine, and carry it occasdipnally in a DeSantis Nemisis pocket holster. Keep a small dab of grease - not just oil - on the take down pin to insure it doesn't shift.

I honestly believe the internet brewhaha on this issue was hokem- you'd have to run the gun bone dry and slowly rack the slide with the gun held sideways, "gangsta" style to get the pin to drop into the take-down hole in the slide. This same design was never an issue when Rohrbaugh was producing this design in their 9mm at $1000 per gun.
Old August 10, 2017, 05:29 PM   #20
wbw

As a few others have mentioned, the new Springfield XD-E. Currently only available in 9mm.
Old August 10, 2017, 07:22 PM   #21
smax

SIG P238 is pleasantly easy to rack. Not everyone likes the SAO aspect of it though.