The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 30, 2017, 01:08 PM   #176
Reloadron

Looking back at my post #108 I am convinced that age and caliber are indirectly proportional. The older you become the smaller the rifle cartridge you are comfortable shooting. Love my 03A3 Remington 30-06 Springfield but it hurts much more than it did 30 years ago.

Ron
Old June 30, 2017, 04:42 PM   #177
HistoryJunky

Quote:
I was a little to relaxed with my Mosin one time while bench shooting and had that steel butt plate slam into my collar bone....ouch!!! Not the hardest recoiling rifle I have ever shot but do to my lack of attention certainly the one that has hurt me the most.
And here I was thinking that I was the only one to experience this. There were some new curse words invented.
Old June 30, 2017, 07:23 PM   #178
44caliberkid

British Enfield SMLE in 303 British. I never owned a PAST recoil pad till I started shooting that one.
Old July 7, 2017, 10:21 AM   #179
Lightning Ross

2 come to mind a short 44 mag winchester trapper with full mag 300 grainers. The rifle did not fit me well and it kicked the snot boogers right out of me. # 2 338 win mag in a ruger # 1 It just pushes you Yeah right. I told the fella that I would put that rifle where the sun dont shine in him and pull it out sideways. Liar
Old July 7, 2017, 11:00 AM   #180
TXAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloadron View Post
Looking back at my post #108 I am convinced that age and caliber are indirectly proportional. The older you become the smaller the rifle cartridge you are comfortable shooting. Love my 03A3 Remington 30-06 Springfield but it hurts much more than it did 30 years ago.

Ron
Maybe.
The .50 BMG Barrett semi I have certainly has recoil, but is MUCH "nicer" than a 7mm Weatherby and other tack drivers if shot.
The Barrett is much more of a firm push over 1/2 second than the 10millisecond sting of steel-butt-ed bolt guns.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old July 7, 2017, 12:06 PM   #181
dgludwig

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloadron View Post

Ron
Maybe.
And maybe not. For some of us, advanced age meant getting bigger. And, for some, the more beef behind the butt plate translates to the bigger "the rifle cartridge you are comfortable shooting". Which sometimes, in the interest of regaining my svelte physique of yesteryear, makes me long for the days when my rifles hurt more to shoot.
Old July 8, 2017, 09:11 AM   #182
black mamba

Worst kick I ever experienced was one day pigeon hunting with a 12 ga. over/under. I was shooting heavy field loads, 3¼ - 1¼, and one flew almost straight overhead. When I touched it off, I thought I'd broken my collar bone, as it double-fired. The combination of 2½ oz. of shot and the butt of the gun up high on my shoulder/collar bone, made the recoil horrendous in that 7 pound gun. I've shot 416 and 458 magnums from a bench, but it wasn't as bad as that double-fired 12 ga.
Old July 10, 2017, 07:26 PM   #183
Tinbucket

I have thought a good bit and may have posted a reply somewhere. I would say,right now, I think it was an M14 with duplex loads tow bullets in one cartridge, on auto.
My Weatherby's kick a good bit and several who have shot them cut their eyes and ruined Leupold scope mounts but they didn't hold them exactly right. I pay no attention to those.
I suppose somewhere has a .460 Weatherby or a .458 Magnum or, a big 2 bore, or 4 bore or a Gibbs .500 etc.
I would bet they would be the brusiers. A good many of the .458s and .460s crack the stocks at the wrist.
I would love to find out. Maybe I'll stumble across one for a reasonable price.
Old July 10, 2017, 07:43 PM   #184
ammo.crafter

big bang ouch

A few of us helped a club member sight in his 500 nitro double rifle he planned to use on an African safari several years ago. I can still feel my body twisting around at the shot.

As far as "everyday" guns, my Marlin .444 with full power loads (300gr cast) is a bruiser as is my Contender in 358 Bellm (444 necked down to .35). It has a 19 inch barrel and after sighting is, you know that this is a gun for hunting and not target practice.
Old July 14, 2017, 10:19 AM   #185
6MT

Being on blood thinners because of a previous heart attack, recoil has crept up in m my mind lately. Load development with a .50BMG and a .338LM can play havoc on a shoulder after a days outing. I have taken to using my trap shoulder pad now when shooting these two beasts.
Old July 16, 2017, 06:49 PM   #186
WV_gunner

I have a synthetic stock NEF .45-70 and it hurts the most. But it's very manageable. Sure after 10 rounds or so you might want to set it down and play with a .22LR for a few minutes. I do have a .30-06 NEF and it doesn't hurt as much but you have to really hold it down. A tight grip isn't good enough, I've got a scar to show that. You've got to hold it down as tight as you can.
Old July 31, 2017, 02:59 PM   #187
Seamus Mc

This thread just won't die! For me it's a three way tie. My 1892 Mousqueton d'artillerie in 8mm Lebel and 8x50R Austrian Mannlicher Stutzen are both murderous little carbines firing full power military rounds. You always know when they go off! But the worst was probably my first Cowboy Match. I borrowed a friends 12 gauge coach gun. It had a single trigger and every fourth or fifth time it discharged both barrels at once. Everybody there had a good laugh and I had a good shoulder bruise. I'll never own a double barrel with a single trigger.